Grey Knights...

Ok so below is are pics of the 'test' model of a commission I'll be doing soon.

The client wants an army of these guys painted to above tabletop standard, but since im new here in Canada I told him Id complete a model 'for free' first for him to decide.

Hopefully he'll like it....What do you guys think?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT2120.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT2123.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT2127.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT2130.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT2132.jpg

Its the first time ive acually painted GKs before and I have to say I enjoyed it - very nice minis :)

As I said comments welcome

The only thing I would say is that the base looks like it wasn't layered or drybrushed at all, although that may just be the picture. Do you know if he was looking for the blue tinge that the codex knights have? Because a blue wash would only make this guy looks better. Other than that, good job.

looks great ...

and as above poster said about the blue wash ...

I like the ones that got a bit of blue in it ...

but maybe not the whole armour in this case ... maybe try to 'highlight' with a blue wash at the edges of the armour and such? to make a bit of difference look on it when viewed in angels ...

but on the other hand, the photo may remove som highlights and small shades you made ...

The key to making money painting is to get the best effect with the least amount of effort, yeah?

So asking for tips here can really only hurt your cause if he ever reads the thread. You're best served by bringing him the mini and asking what he thinks. If he sees the thread before he gives his opinion he could ask for more work based on replies when he might otherwise not have. :rolleyes:

To answer everyone...

BASE: The base is drybrushed and shaded(scorched brown/graveyard earth -my photo-fu is terrible...). It is simple but the client knows this. It allows me to spend more time on the model itself while keeping his costs down.

BLUE TINGE: He has a blue tinge -it is subtle, but noticable in 'real life'. I hate GKs that you can tell that theyre just dryrushed metal with a blue wash to 'fix' things...

@Q: yes your right. but the price I am doing for him would equal anyothers 'TT standard' service. I think you'll agree(hopefully) that this is above TT standard. If he asks for more he will pay more. This mini was to show him the standard he can expect for the price paid. I kept a log of how long it took etc and worked the price based on that :rolleyes: I couldnt just show him the mini either as he approached me over the net based on my previous work. have posted him the mini, so he will see it soon.

My main question I suppose was, if you were the client and paid me for a TT standard but got this would you be happy ^_^

thanks for the comments though!

EE

Ah ok cool cool, seems like you've really thought it all out. This certainly looks like good tabletop standard. Value is a personal relative term though so can't really answer that.

It's a very clean and effective paintjob, although like Q says, you'd have to ask the client. As for me, I have very hard time telling apart "above tabletop standard" with "tabletop standard" and "display model standard".Your red appears to be very good from what I can tell though ^_^

On the model itself however, is it just me or does the pose look a little awkward? He appears to be going "Hi, I'd like to buy this halberd and storm bolter please. What do you mean you don't take credit?" A head turned a bit to the left would've made the model much more dynamic. ^_^

Although I do not know the amount of work that is needed to convert something like that, :rolleyes:

It's a very clean and effective paintjob, although like Q says, you'd have to ask the client. As for me, I have very hard time telling apart "above tabletop standard" with "tabletop standard" and "display model standard".Your red appears to be very good from what I can tell though ;)

On the model itself however, is it just me or does the pose look a little awkward? He appears to be going "Hi, I'd like to buy this halberd and storm bolter please. What do you mean you don't take credit?" A head turned a bit to the left would've made the model much more dynamic. ^_^

Although I do not know the amount of work that is needed to convert something like that, :rolleyes:

yeah - unfortunately he sent me the model by post and it came with the wrong arm ^_^

The body and bolter arm is 1peice metal, so no converting there.

anyway after pinning and a bit of GS I got it looking 'reasonable'...

again the client knew the problems, and being a 'test', i dont think the position matters *too* much

as far as above TT etc - well the metal Ive done is a 2 layer blended highlight using various glazes for depth. TT standard would generally be drybrushed, maybe inked.

here is an example of my 'display' metal....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT2037.jpg

ok its a different 'style'(ie rusted) but now there are multiple layers highlights and glazes.

I know its not marines, but I didnt have a pic handy of a marine in display quality 'real' metals...

Hopefully this serves the purpose though

+EDIT+ Image of xenos (ahem...not even a xenos - that's from an entirely different game) turned into a link. Please refer to the forum rules on eligibility of images. -Brother Tyler

holy cow, man an army that looks that good'll burn a hole through this guys pocket. Oh could you please post how you painted the bolter? thanks. Your really good, When you said that you did it for free, did you mean for him or just paint one to see what it looks like for free? Because i couldn't bear myself to part with a model that good. LOL.

holy cow, man an army that looks that good'll burn a hole through this guys pocket. Oh could you please post how you painted the bolter? thanks. Your really good, When you said that you did it for free, did you mean for him or just paint one to see what it looks like for free? Because i couldn't bear myself to part with a model that good. LOL.

Thanks for the kind comments!

The bolter casing is chaos black>Chaos black/codex grey mix(1/2)highlights>codex grey extreme highlights.Metal on there was boltgun>chainmail>VERY watered down scorched brown glaze.

Its the clients model. He posted it to me and then I did the cleaning/pinning/drilling, slapped a bit of paint on and sent it back - yes for free(well he paid postage...).

It was the first time he'd hired someone for a commission and was not clear on what he would get for his money, so I did the mini for free to give him an idea ^_^

As far as price goes, Ive done him a very very good deal - basically to get my name out there here in Canada. I used to do alot of commissions back in the UK around my local group. Alas I have now moved to a whole different country and have to re-build my rep B)

Once Ive completed this one I'll probably take one more army job and maybe a display piece at the reduced rate before pricing at a more realistic level(which I believe will be a very good price too ;) )

anyway, as I said thanks for the nice comments!

Archived