Ultra Demonic Possession

+++MORE UPDATES BELOW+++

Ok, so i recon im gonna get a load of ppl chattin about fluff as this project develops. But ive been out the game for a while with my last army being IW...and well i just couldnt stray from chaos, but i also couldnt resist the clean lines of a nice shiny SM army.

So i came up with an idea...to form my nice new army project around...a shiny new SM troop or watever straight from the dock...hit by a chaos storm an yada yada yada basically i dont know the fluff! An i dont want to know it, that time will come, when i have to think about that.

Basically, im creating an chaos army, of ultramarines, but each SM has been possessed and mutated in some way, with the chaplin being the "ring leader". I intend to model him as a completely twisted individual, but something i wanted to achieve was the progression of change throughout the army, from the chaos chaplin, down to the nearly perfect ultra, bar a small boil or something on his face.

If you dont understand what i just said...because im sure it sounded confusing. If my army was to be on display, the chaplin would be at the front, all chaosy/mutated and with very little ultra left in him...and as you moved back through the models, the chaos possession would become less...until you reach the back row where it would be apparent, but not as obvious.

Ok so anyway...thats that done...Im not sure, if i can pull this off with ultramarines when it comes to the fluff because im almost certain that they are very loyal. But i figure anyone can be changed, turned, watever...all it takes is a few whispers from chaos :unsure:

I intend to use GS heavy and some CSM parts to show the conversion happening, im still working on a paint scheme...but i will update when i have something pinned down. Its going to be very blue, but also very fleshy....i want a really great contrast of this horrible fleshy tones with a nice clean blue...anyway we will see what comes of that.

So yeah...i got my first tac squad today and just did a very quick WIP dry run of one marine...whose arm appears to have suddenly exploded, I dont think he has clocked the horn sprouting from his forehead yet though :angry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/WhiteSpeed/chaos.jpg

anyway CanC more than welcome...

WS

sounds liek a cool idea. one question though, what stage is that model meant to be, like on a scaler of 1-10c with 10 being the evil chappy :rolleyes:

i think itt could be a really cool army, plus you can always play with a different army, bouncing from loyalist to chaos in just one flick of the proverbial army list ^^

it does sound like a good idea. Fluff wise you could claim that they spent too long in the warp or licking daemons i know you didnt want fluff ideas but anyway...

a few things:

- firstly i would suggest cleaning up the mould lines on his legs

- secondly a new pose maybe whilst it does look cool it does suggest to me that he is amazed by his own fingers

- i think the if use the loyalist Ultra marines paint scheme but maybe make it look a bit blood drenched or somthing

thats all i can think of for now. Hope my comments help

I'm a BIG fan of themed armies and a BIG fan of converted armies. So, with that said, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as your force developes. I wish you luck.

Two questions, how set are you on using Ultras? And, are you using them for their blue PA?

one question though, what stage is that model meant to be, like on a scaler of 1-10c with 10 being the evil chappy :rolleyes:

Hmmm well if 10 is the chappy, i would say that this WIP is probably lke 4, because its only one arm and his head, if i split the model up into pieces, legs = 4, arms = 4 then head =2. One arm an head is 4, so yeah about 4

- firstly i would suggest cleaning up the mould lines on his legs

- secondly a new pose maybe whilst it does look cool it does suggest to me that he is amazed by his own fingers

- i think the if use the loyalist Ultra marines paint scheme but maybe make it look a bit blood drenched or somthing

Your idea for the fluff rocks, think i will probably run with something like that.

Yeah its very WIP, im gonna clean it all up, and i agree the pose is going to be changed....im think im going to try and make it look like he is going to cut his own arm off...but we will see.

Yes i do intend to adjust the paint scheme somewhat so that it does appear more chaosy...we will see when i start painting, watch this space.

Two questions, how set are you on using Ultras? And, are you using them for their blue PA?

I really want to use ultras because i feel not only is the paint scheme going to be very contrasting to the harsh decaying fleshy tones but also they are such a "we are loyal" chapter...that to see a load of them screwed up i think would be cool.

Thanks for the C&C i will try and have something cleaned up and atleast a little bit painted by tomorow...

WS

Ok here we are with a small update at least, i didnt manage to get any paint put down today....but ive started the GS work, only a very minor bit, but this is only a test mini.

Im trying to make it look like he is basically, trying to cut his arm off :P It must be causing him severe mental and physical stress that he can see the only way to overcome it is to actually take it off, and also he really doesnt want to spread the chaos infection any further(still not realising the horn growing out of his forehead) :P Obviously there isnt an arm to fit that position of the chainsword, so im using a little GS to fill the void between his armour and arm. Yes i know he has no backpack, or shoulder pad...but at the moment very WIP...if im going to go ahead with this army...its going to be a long haul and every marine is going to be to my best

Front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/WhiteSpeed/chaosWIPfront.jpg

Back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/WhiteSpeed/ChaosWIP.jpg

I have some questions though, how do i get the GS to be a smooth surface? Not covered in finger prints

C&C welcome

kind regards

WS

an easy way to smooth out green stuff is by simply wetting your finger with a lil' water. this also helps to stop the GS sticking to your tools when you're making something very detailed... there's a page on the games workshop web-site that has heaps of tips & tricks on how to use GS.

by the way I really like the army idea. there's way too many people out there playing with "normal" ultras it's 'bout time we saw some with the taint of chaos in them.

It'll look starange with the shoulder pad on.

Hmm i have got to that point yet, so i will check it today to make sure it looks ok....

an easy way to smooth out green stuff is by simply wetting your finger with a lil' water. this also helps to stop the GS sticking to your tools when you're making something very detailed... there's a page on the games workshop web-site that has heaps of tips & tricks on how to use GS.

by the way I really like the army idea. there's way too many people out there playing with "normal" ultras it's 'bout time we saw some with the taint of chaos in them.

thanks for the GS help, an yeah i know :ph34r: but i can see the appeal...i just wanted something more from them than boring old SMs thats it

Ok so ive started painting, im painting it in 3 seperate pieces, the arm, head, and main body....at the moment ive only just started the arm, with initial highlights. Ive been reading those "advanced painting techniques" threads and something ive picked up was base coating white and then painting up to the highlight rather than base coating black. So this is what im trying with this model

anyway here are the pics of the arm, to start...still WIP C&C more than welcome

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/WhiteSpeed/ChaoshandWIP.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/WhiteSpeed/chaoshandWIP2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/WhiteSpeed/chaoshandWIP3.jpg

kind regards

WS

looks good, although I'm confused with the first pic. Is the base color that dark or is it the lighting? anyawy, looks good maybe iIll check out the advancted technique thread.

i based the arm white, then painted dark flesh into the crevices, then highlighted out to the lightest colour. The reason its easier is because white is a lot easier to highlight too, because its already your top highlight. Where as black is your bottom.

Fluff-wise, this doesn't really work out... It's rare enough as it is for a Marine to go renegade, but an entire army would be damn near impossible, especially for Loyalists like the Ultramarines. Maybe a similar idea, but with various chapters as opposed to just Ultras? Model White Scar Traitors on bikes and as Raptors, Imperial Fists as Havocs... Of course, not too many of any one Chapter (three, four tops) because it's unlikely quite that many Marines of one chapter would turn traitor.

Fluff-wise, this doesn't really work out... It's rare enough as it is for a Marine to go renegade, but an entire army would be damn near impossible, especially for Loyalists like the Ultramarines. Maybe a similar idea, but with various chapters as opposed to just Ultras? Model White Scar Traitors on bikes and as Raptors, Imperial Fists as Havocs... Of course, not too many of any one Chapter (three, four tops) because it's unlikely quite that many Marines of one chapter would turn traitor.

Chapters are what 1000 marines? Ur talking 60 marines max....is it that impossible? Chaos has hit there chaplin, and he is spreading it....

see this is why i hate fluff, it screws with the modelling side :)

thanks for the input

i mean no disrespect but, I'm gonna have to disagree with magnum_opera... you seem to be forgetting, the orginal chaos legions... wasn't that like several thousand space marines going nuts?...at the same time? plus with the fact that the chaplain is corrupted, it makes more sense fluff wise.

I would have to agree with you Raziel. Isn't that what happened in the heresy? The leaders were corrupted, and the soldiery blindly followed? So from a fluff perspective... it does make sense. :) At least... it does to me. :)

Cheers

DGF

If it did happen, I imagine it'd have to be very hush-hush, for a big dishonor like that, especially for the Ultramarines. I'll revise my opinion, but it's still not very likely. :)

Then again, neither are the odds of surviving the Marine training.

Archived