Rare Earth Magnets and Dreadnoughts

I am currently building one of the metal chaos dreadnoughts and I am using rare earth magnets to allow for swapable gun arms. So far I have trimmed the post on the body by the thickness of two of the magnets and glued a 1/4 inch magnet to the end. After glueing another magnet into the arm, it holds fine, except the arm tends to rotate so the barrels of the guns point to the ground. This generally only happens if anything touches the arm. I would like to stabalize the arms so this does not happen.

The two ideas I've had so far are:

Put a pin in the body and a hole in each of the arms, so the pin keeps the arm from rotating

Put an additional 1/16th inch magnet in the body and the arms

I am afraid that a pin would eventually get bent or scratch up the rest of my models, while another magnet might not be strong enough, since there is only enough space for a 1/16th inch magnet.

Does anyone have any experiences with these or other ideas?

If it moves because of the weight, I would go with the second magnet.

BUT, If you can, I would keep it movable, It's much more fun when you can move arms up and down :)

Pinning is going to be the strongest solution. Use hollow brass rod, it will be a lot stronger than thin wire, paperclips, etc. Drill your holes for a very tight fit, or use Greenstuff to keep it snug. A short hollow snug rod should not bend.

If you just want swappable arms, not poseable, (with a metal dread, I wouldn't bother, arms are just too heavy) magnet+pin is ideal.

My plastic and resin dreads are pretty fully poseable.. a 1/8"x1/2" rod magnet slips right into the torso arm posts after drilling them out and and is strong as hell.

An additional magnet is enough, here are the two arms on my dread:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/Sigmundman/P6095008.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a245/Sigmundman/P6095009.jpg

Orginally I thought that I would want to move the CC arm up or down so there are 3 magnets, but really theres no way to make that dreadnought not look static without serious modification.

The best solution.. Don't use metal dreadnaughts ;).

Well, I bought this thing long before Forgeworld was even imagined by GW, so I don't really have a choice ;) Thanks all for the help, it looks like either options will work and I have tubing on hand, but not the smaller magnets, so I think I am going to go that route. Thanks!!!

Archived