Iron Warriors army progress

good lord man. Your stuff looks frickin sweet. I love the colors you've used. Acutally I'm glad i havent painted my whole army, see alls these sweet paint schemes makes me not want to do a crappy paint job. Nice work dude. By the way, what did you use for the jetpacks on your Daemonprince? I can't remember if you mentioned it before when you showed wip pics.

They look great imo, I particularly love the Daemon Prince. Can I ask how you achieved the look for the top of his hammer?
You mean the yellow?

Basecoat darkflesh(well, I think that was useless in the end, but it's there)

Then a fiery orange base on top of it, leaving just a little of the darkflesh at the very recesses.

Then I just added yellow to the mix, untill I started to reach pure yellow, at which point I added some white to the mix.

Finally, I painted on edges and made the final highlight with pure white.

Nice work dude. By the way, what did you use for the jetpacks on your Daemonprince? I can't remember if you mentioned it before when you showed wip pics.

Raptor jumpacks, chopped up, used the top parts for the intakes(only 3) and used the exhaust separately on the back(5 of them).

Cheers

You call those Iron Warriors?! Where are the other eight Obliterators? Huh? HUH? :blink: Hehe, seriously nice work man. Really good stuff. Probably one of the best IW armies Ive ever seen :rolleyes:

-Kaldoth

Geezus...

Yeah, they look pretty good. Actually, they look better than anything on my local GW's table...

Come to think about it, they look a lot like the pictures I stare at in WD and wonder, "How the...?!". But, that's ok. I may not be able to duplicate it, but that's what makes some of us true artists. Good work, that! ;)

Stunning work.

How long on average does it take you to paint a single marine?

Never really been amazed by mass silver and grey but you've just impressed me big time.

Q ;)

[qoute=kaldoth]You call those Iron Warriors?! Where are the othe eight Obliterators? Huh? HUH?

They are on permanent leave. B)

How long on average does it take you to paint a single marine?

Don't know really, I haven't timed them. Also, there's a lot of "waiting" for them to dry up after washes, so there's "downtime" at times. I'd guess around 1 hrs per model, more or less. CCW armed ones take longer than bolter armed obviously. But I'd say from 1hr to 2hrs per model, depending on what sort of details. Basicly it's just a question of how many areas you have in different colours. I'm pretty sure I could paint black templars faster than these guys, since the metallics, while easy to paint, still take time.

Come to think about it, they look a lot like the pictures I stare at in WD and wonder, "How the...?!". But, that's ok. I may not be able to duplicate it, but that's what makes some of us true artists. Good work, that! biggrin.gif

NAh, it's a question of training mostly, there's really nothing artistic about painting miniatures, before you start doing freehand stuff, or other things that are not just coloring areas. Guess innovative painting and stuff would be more artsy, but in the end miniature painting is mostly technique. When you try to paint images on miniatures it starts to become more of an artsy thing. There's a lot of time conservation in just being quick in mixing paints, opening pots, etc. Also, using a palette, and having a good instinct for keeping the paint in a fluid condition for as long as possible etc etc. All makes for a faster miniature, so in essence I'd say it's just routine and practice that makes for fast models. Keep on painting, and you'll get there. Read what boltman and others say and you might get there faster. ;)

Cheers

Hate to sound like a broken record, but those are awesome.

You seem like a nice guy too, which is cool.

For the head of the guy with the plasma gun in This picture, What did you use?

Was it just a head from a chaos sprue? cause I really like it.

Really nice work. Love the colors blends of the silver.. Do you prime grey or black? And is that a flesh wash over them or a black armor wash?

Love the DP... imagine that it took some time to convert.. especially with ripping up Raptor jet packs...and a Dread hammer.. :wink:

As for the unfinished stuff.. I have been wanting to do something different with my Bassie for my IW.. Consider your design... :tu: Well that is if you don't mind? :blush:

Love what you did with the basilisk. Great idea

One small query, why is there a las cannon in a cc squad?

Well, I'll make this clear, again, since it seems I have to explain it once in a while.

I have 4 squads with lascannons and plasmaguns with bolters. I also have 2 squads with lascannon and flamers with close combat weapons. Now, the idea is that they all stand&shoot. The close combat squad is purely for counter attack. Now, the closecombat squads are "WEAK" on their own, but when I throw in either the DP or liutenant into the mix, they become pretty formidable. Basicly the idea is to have some combat capability in the case tyranids or some other assault element from other armies get through. Since shooting isn't 100%, but I won't have rhinos or other junk, I've opted for this setup. Also, flamers are always good for "reducing" units you are going to assault to more manageable sizes. So basicly, the CCW squads are just static lascannons squads, who can are there to mop up(with the help of a HQ or 2) assaults that survive my firestorm. If nothing does get through, then there's just a lascannon firing relentlessly, which is good enough for me. :ph34r: I can afford to lose 8 bolters, but I can't afford being helpless if a enemy assault unit gets through.

Cheers

How long did you work on your HQ, specifically the DP?

Hmm... 20-40 hrs, dunno really. I started on it 2 years ago. Made the leg, lost intrest. Made the arm some time later, lost intrest. It sat on my shelf for a year at least, then I took it out and finished it. Probably around 30-40 hours I'd guess. Might be more or less, I can't really say, since it was done over such a long period of time.

The liutenant was a quick slap together of different parts, and robbing him of a leg to be substitued with some plastic rod.

Cheers

Archived