What brushes do you guys use?

The problem I was having with the GW ones is that the ends on the brushes are bending over, forking or splaying out.

I like to think I am not really really hard on brushes (though painting minis IS hard on them) and I do try to keep them clean. I have both cleaners (liquid and tub soap) and use them as much as I can and still the GW brushes just don't seem to hold up.

I guess if I can get my hands on the known good brushes and I still killing them too fast I know I am doing something wrong :blush:

Thanks

Ty

i have found that the gw brushes are much kop, they loose their point too quickly, i swear by W&N, iv got a 0 and 000.

just another thought, has anyone used the masterclass brush set from GW? had a staff member tellin me how good they were, but at 75 quid they just seem to be another ploy to give up alot of money for a product that aint worth it :blush:

I have WN Series 7 brushes that are over 20 years old and are still in great shape. I also use Loew Cornell, Simmons, and I have a Floquill Ultimate One, which is truly one of the ultimate brushes (this brush is over 25 years old, and I don't know what I'll do if it does need replacing as they don't make it anymore. I do most of my work with the WN Series 7 and Loew Cornell brushes. WN's for fine detail, amd the other brushes for larger work. The Ultimate One is for when I get really serious about doing really fine detail. All of these are great brushes, if you care for them properly. A few thigns to remember is never to load paint all the way to the feral. The first third of the brush is all you really need. Second, always clean the brush thoroughly, even between paint colors. When you finish with your brush, use just a tiny bit of brush soap to shape it back into a nice, neat point. If you always do these things, your brushes will last a very long time.

The problem I was having with the GW ones is that the ends on the brushes are bending over, forking or splaying out.

I like to think I am not really really hard on brushes (though painting minis IS hard on them) and I do try to keep them clean. I have both cleaners (liquid and tub soap) and use them as much as I can and still the GW brushes just don't seem to hold up.

I guess if I can get my hands on the known good brushes and I still killing them too fast I know I am doing something wrong :D

Thanks

Ty

What do you consider 'too fast' though? I've been using a GW brush for four months now practically daily and use it widly and far from careful with it. I've had one bristle go 'rogue' due to my own fault and the point is still as good as it was the first day. So I don't see it getting 'bad' overnight anytime soon. Needless to say, the most I do to wash it is run it through water, and wipe it through a paper towel. Which I know I should be cleaning it. :blush: But my point being is I guess i've just lucky?

What do you consider 'too fast' though? I've been using a GW brush for four months now practically daily and use it widly and far from careful with it. I've had one bristle go 'rogue' due to my own fault and the point is still as good as it was the first day. So I don't see it getting 'bad' overnight anytime soon. Needless to say, the most I do to wash it is run it through water, and wipe it through a paper towel. Which I know I should be cleaning it. :rolleyes: But my point being is I guess i've just lucky?

Well I bought my first Models and they included a Commander and a Command Squad (mistake now that I think on it) painted up the 6 of them and my GW brushes are junk. Well not all of them. My standard and fine detail are junk. The drybrushes they have are pretty damn nice, but the small is starting to hook.

This does not seem good to me.

Thanks

Ty

The drybrushes they have are pretty damn nice, but the small is starting to hook.

This does not seem good to me.

Thanks

Ty

:) Whoa, you definately had some bad luck there. Never had a natural hair brush hook on me, whew. To get back on track i've been wanting to try out W&N Series 7, but i'm not quite sure if I could get them in Japan....oh well, there is always Ebay.

W&N Series 7s all the way. Great brushes. As has been said, you can get them from Dick Blick's as i did, though I got a few from local stores. Blick's gave me a much better deal though.

Always, always, always, clean your brushes with a good brush soap and they'll last you for years.

Wondering what different sizes everyone uses also?

I use cheaper Loew Cornell brushes for base coloring quickly, but for all detail I use Princeton Mini Brushes. The Princeton mini series has been great for me, they come as small as 30/0 ! I typically use a 10/0 for most of my painting but a 20/0 for really small things.

Archived