Tonight's the Night...

Hi everyone.

I've been on this board for a while and I slowly started painting my Battle for Macragge set.

My first test figure is Lt. Varras, the pilot who escaped from the crashed Aquila Lander. I chose to paint my Marines (and Varras) as Ultramarines because I figured it would be easier to get good example of minis with that scheme and because, quite frankly, I like ultramarine blue ;)

Now, keep in mind that this is my first mini and that I tried the best I could with different tutorials I found mainly on this board. I believe I learned a few tricks but I know I have a LOT more to learn.

So, thanks everyone who directly or indirectly helped me put this first guy together! If you feel like throwing in a few constructive critics of this beginner's work, I'd be more than happy to read them!

I hope my pics are not too bad and/or too big, if they are, forgive me as this is my first try after all :wacko:

For your information, he still needs gloss and dull spray and I'm thinking about drybrushing the grass and maybe adding some also. Any ideas on that?

Ok, here goes the pics:

Lieutenant Varras 1:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/marcecgi/Warhammer%2040K/Varras_95_1.jpg

Lieutenant Varras 2:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/marcecgi/Warhammer%2040K/Varras_95_2.jpg

Lieutenant Varras 3:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/marcecgi/Warhammer%2040K/Varras_95_3.jpg

Lieutenant Varras 4:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i132/marcecgi/Warhammer%2040K/Varras_95_4.jpg

Thanks again every one and, I'll keep working on the Marines so maybe one day I'll be able to post them here :P

Dracul.

Dont know if Varras has Power armour, but if not Show those marines asap or this thread will be terminated. :wacko:

But the mini is nice and clean. I think you could highlight the robes a tad-bit more and some areas like the metallics more but none the less great job. Also The eyes maybe a bit small right now it look as if he's surprised haha. But anyways nice flesh tones too!

Vtraxx Out

Thanks for your answer. I took a chance with Varras being accepted as Power Armor.. He's in the boxed set and he's got Gene-Seed in his little basket after all... :wacko:

I hope I don't get melted from existence after my first post but if it happens then, I'll have to wait and post those Marines when they are ready!

Dracul.

Dont know if Varras has Power armour, but if not Show those marines asap or this thread will be terminated. :wacko:

Leave the modding to the Mods, VtrAxX.

...test figure... ...to get good example of minis with that scheme...

Anyways, the paint job is pretty good. Makes a poor model look good in any case...

@ Commander Sha'son: Tyranids on a plane?

The painting is good, but I cant help but think youve been unfortunate when spraying the mini, it seems like it has recieved a roughtextured coat. Is this not a common result when spraypainting in to moist enviroments?

But apart from that, (and several of my own minis have the same affliction), a very solid mini, and a fantastic first try. The brown on the cloak is impressive.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it!

The painting is good, but I cant help but think youve been unfortunate when spraying the mini, it seems like it has recieved a roughtextured coat. Is this not a common result when spraypainting in to moist enviroments?

I must say that I sprayed some of my models in a moist environment, yes... I found out the hard way that you don't want to do this. I even stripped them and started again but, in the process of finding what was working the best as a stripping agent, I think I damaged this model a bit. I finally found Castrol Super Clean but the damage had already been done. I tried stripping the model the best I could but I could not get a 100% clean job on the weapon for some reason.

Since I have yet to play my first game, I decided to leave him like he is now and get back to other miniatures if I want to be able to play a single game before 5th edition ;)

Dracul.

Archived