Imperial City Boxset Ideas

Got the Imperial City box set in the mail today.. bought it off ebay, must say I was really overhwlemed by the sheer amount of plastic in the box, am really impressed by the building detail, and overall very pleased with what I would consider a rare 'good deal' (financilly) in GWs product lineup..

I wanted to see what other people have to say about it and how they plan on building their city... Id really like to figure out the most efficient way to build the city, making the greatest number of useful buildings with the least amount of left over pieces (which oculd of course be used for other things, but the idea behind buying the box was to make the biigest city possible after all..)...

anyone started fiddling with theirs yet?

:wub: i actually bought the box set ...then bought the smaller box with the book and two buildings,

my idea at the time was to make as many buildings as i could ,but after looking through the set i decided to only make 2 or 3 large intact bldgs and a couple destroyed ones e.g i intend to make a basillica church type H.Q bldg and an arbites precinct bldg from the sanctum set.

They are just so nice in architecture(sp?) and will make great intact bldgs for the WOW factor on the table

also planned to paint the precinct bldg in shades of brown for a stone look to set it apart from the others i intend to make.

my way will not be the most efficent but probably extravagant :P

mithril

good luck with your city..

I (we) only obught the smaller bow with the book.. arent gonna shell out that amount of money on something we can make ourselves for far less...

but wouldnt the basilica look good in bonewhite/ white?

avoid getting everything in the grey scale, whatever you do! it will be plain boring and then it where no point in paying for those... use slightly different interesting colours

I also got one from my local Games Workshop and i was surprised at how heavy and big the thing was. I built the one Manufactorum (sp?) for a painting competiton at my Games Workshop the last weekend of this month, except i built it exaclty like the one on the pictures, my dad is painting it cause i got him into Warhammer 40000 and he will son be building his Space Marines army after he helps my little brother with his small Tau army, im 14 btw. and we also arent sure how we should build the buildings, hopefully we win the painting competiton you get another building if you win (hes entering oen and im entering one)

I bought the CoD box set and put the Imperial City on layby (intend to pick it up next week). And i agree, when i saw the thing at first, i was very suprised about the weight of it.

Havent free'd any of the components from the sprue as of yet, but i can say they have been washed (had to use the kitchen sink - literally for that one).

I havenet decided how i want to go about things as of yet, so im not very certain of how well you can efficiently use the components. Although for some reason after playing DoW - WA i wouldnt mind making a Titan wreck from them :blink:.

I know if i have any left overs, i might try to use bits and pieces for bases on my SoB, but i guess its best to just dry fit with everything and see how you go and if need me, 'ruin' more of the pieces to get more city ruins.

Hey,

Got the Imperial City box set in the mail today

Congrats! The Mothership has some useful modelling info for Cityfight here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/cityfight/urban-planning/1/

Using box-set bits to augment scratchbuilt buildings seems best.

'Corner' ruins are, imo, preferred on a tabletop for gameplay reasons.

Corner Ruin Plan:

Scratch build a 'base' first storey @3in tall and top it with 'box bits' as required.

You might like to add a 'door' in this base for authenticity. Your call.

The first storey uses the most bits, as a rule, so this idea will save loads.

Gluing the 1st storey to a base is recommended, but for higher floors it's optional.

*Not* gluing upper storeys helps to ease perplexing model-transport issues. :- )

Note: Leave plenty of room on the base for models and bulky human hands.

Bits inventories can be stretched further by using card for the top walls on taller pieces.

The top row needn't have a 'ceiling' and so, may be shorter than the other courses.

Hose everything down with black primer, drybrush, detail and . . .

A little slice of grim darkness in your very own basement. Life is good! X- P

Good luck, and have fun!

Playa

This must be a trend, I just got mine as well. I plan on two or three two-story buildings, a full buidling and the rest in ruines. I want to make sure that I have enough room for 10 SM's to find cover in the larger buildings so floor spacing is important.

BigJon

well I'm planning on building BIG buildings from plasticard, pipes, the boxed set and any other materials i can get my hands on, should look interesting when finished, I'll also be making a frtified builind, cause i love what one could do with that and the effects it has on the cover save(3+ cover save!?! I'll take it!)

oh and BTW, NewbiePBer, aren't there age restrictions on even local painting contests, such as it must be painted by you if you enter it into the 14 and under category? i know the stores here have that rule.

Archived