Captain Garviel Loken

Also, you should add bulkiness - take a look at the front cover of "Horus Rising" -

those marines really scream "Big" I'd say, use the new Terminator Shoulder pads - revamped off course..

Also, the helmet now, simply don't really fit the theme. Many of them use the "Crusader" mark style helmets (Again, take a look at the cover ) Loken, as a Captain has a Roman "fluffy duffy" or whatever on top of his helmet - as do all officers..

You can use the Chaos backpack, with Imperial studs and stuff - just cut your way through :)

Also, since he's a captain, he should be carrying alot of stuff, document folders, grenades and such - purity seals.. ?

I've made a Sons of horus squad - They're coming along nicely, but it was this book that started my "Pre heresy" madness..

My two cent, hope it makes sense..

Also, you should add bulkiness - take a look at the front cover of "Horus Rising" -

those marines really scream "Big" I'd say, use the new Terminator Shoulder pads - revamped off course..

Also, the helmet now, simply don't really fit the theme. Many of them use the "Crusader" mark style helmets (Again, take a look at the cover ) Loken, as a Captain has a Roman "fluffy duffy" or whatever on top of his helmet - as do all officers..

You can use the Chaos backpack, with Imperial studs and stuff - just cut your way through :)

Also, since he's a captain, he should be carrying alot of stuff, document folders, grenades and such - purity seals.. ?

I've made a Sons of horus squad - They're coming along nicely, but it was this book that started my "Pre heresy" madness..

My two cent, hope it makes sense..

IMO the front cover of Horus rising cant be taken to seriously as it has errant and corvus armour on the cover, the marine commander maybe? is using a short sword not a chainsword, i think the reason that the marines look bigger is that the bare heads seem to be to scale compared to the current models.

As for the helmet, the plume/crest for captains is yet to be added, but it is the right style of helmet as its MK4.

Grenades might be added although there is line where he asks a marine for one which suggests he doesnt carry them, i will be adding a mag pouch though just behind the hip armour.

And being Pre Heresy purity seals are a big no no, I think purity seals are symbols of the marines faith and seeing as this is pre heresy and the Lunar Wolves dont believe the emperor is a God so they wouldnt have them.

IMO i dont think that the Chaos backpack looks appropriate even with the small studs/spikes filed down.

for the backpack...

maybe a cut down chaos one....like this....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/LLV/PICT1882.jpg

Regarding purity seals - I think your correct - but maybe add a parchment on one of the shoulders, representing the 'oath of moment'...

also - as I said before, to really mark him out use a bare head and maybe GS some hair...

Hmmm, im actually liking that back pack... :) Im thinking that this might have been what Marshal Draziel meant.

If anything i might make interchangeable heads using pins, have a bare head and a helmeted one, kind of like Bobby Wongs "Maximus" Ultramarine. :P

The right shoulder pad comes with purity seals attached, im planning on removing the seals and resculpting the parchment so that it looks more like the oath of moment and not a purity seal :)

Thanks again for the pic Exquisite Evil :D

Im thinking that this might have been what Marshal Draziel meant

Excactly my young padowan Marine :D

This is by far, an easy back pack - which makes a more " rustic, old, mechanic look"

Oh I forgot - there was some tutorial on how to make "Pre-heresy" bolters - or what they were called, I'm not sitting with my Rogue Trader book at the moment :)

Also, what I meant by "Purity seals" was just parchment :P but I guess I made a mistake :)

What do you mean by plain though? huh.gif

Hes someone lacking details and looks a bit boring, but you said it yourself that you will be adding details to him later. I would use the backpack Exquisite Evil shows, that looks great. I also share the opinion to use no helmet (Commanders with helmets are boring :D )

@The Halifax, can you quote a source ? I can

The Crux Termiatus is something that was made Post Heresy, it's supposed to contain a microscopic piece of the Emperor/or his armour. In honour of some Terminators who took the pressure off the Emperor back as he was being bitchslapped by Horus.

Thusly, the honour it is to be given the Crux Terminatus, is quite rare and only the best of the best are given it.

I am not totally sure of this, but I think it's about as accurate as it gets...

As far as i know the crux teminatus is post heresy, its supposed to contain a small piece of the emperor's armour which was the fluff reason for them having a 5+ invulnerable, i cant quote an exact source though, maybe someone else can? The rosarius is also post heresy as i think its again a symbol of faith.

Im trying o work ot how the belt holding the scabbard is going to work, its either going to go all the way around his waist, or be attached to the "belt" somehow. :)

LOL Marshal Draziel beat me to it ! :D

The Crux Termiatus is something that was made Post Heresy, it's supposed to contain a microscopic piece of the Emperors/or his armour. In honour of some Terminators who took the pressure of the Emperor as he was being bitchslapped by Horus.

Thusly, the honour it is to be given the Crux Terminatus, is quite rare and only the best of the best are given it.

I am not totally sure of this, but I think it's about as accurate as it gets...

Damnit, how could I forget about that. Ok ignore my question from before :) Nevertheless I think a Crux Terminatus could be used as an honour marking without the piece of the Emperor's armour, if he wants to.

@TheHalifax, no in the article where the invulnerable save of the terminators was introduced, the explanation for it was simple the thickness of the armour plates. But I know what you thought of. The Praesidum Protectiva (piece of equipment for the DH), was a shard of the Emperor's armour that granted an invulnerable save.

I would use a more pre-heresy-like bolter, like the 2nd edition bolter. What backpack will you use ? As for now he looks kind of "plain".

take a look at the empy vs horus poster, they have "normal" bolters.

Having your magazine so far up front is rubbish anyway, new bolters all the way :devil:

I would use a more pre-heresy-like bolter, like the 2nd edition bolter. What backpack will you use ? As for now he looks kind of "plain".

take a look at the empy vs horus poster, they have "normal" bolters.

Having your magazine so far up front is rubbish anyway, new bolters all the way :devil:

I have to agree

And being Pre Heresy purity seals are a big no no, I think purity seals are symbols of the marines faith and seeing as this is pre heresy and the Lunar Wolves dont believe the emperor is a God so they wouldnt have them.

I think I remember reading that they attach their oath's of moment to their armor with wax seals. I could be mistaken, though, as I started reading the Ultramarines Omnibus on the heels of Horus Rising and details of the two could have merged together.

It looks good so far, a few suggestions.

1: There is something about that chainsword that just bugs me for some reason, try the straight chaos chainsword and I think it would look much better

2: I think Loken has a cape but don't quote me on it but it would look better if he did

3: the chest looks alittle plan, put a circle of green stuff in the sentre of his chest to simulate the eye of terra

Hope that helps.

Just to back up Retlaw. Perhaps "purity seals" persay wouldn't fit in with the pre-heresy ideals, but the book does make a lot of the "oaths of the moment." These are mentioned as papers/parchment held on by wax seals. If the detail is missing or whatever, "oaths of the moment" would be appropriate.

knowing how GW changes the fluff so much (as shown by FW pics of the red scorpions), this might be outdated. However, knee pad armour was not used. It should be more like the mk6 legs. The knee pads came later.

As mentioned earlier though the artwork isnt always accurate, thanks to all the comeback so far guys, having been away since friday ill resume work on Loken this week. :blush:

I cant remember if he has a cape in false gods or not but im basing him on the descriptions in horus rising so it sno cape at all im afraid, im hoping to do a lot of the detail work using free hand.

Also with the oaths of moment im not sure if there is a description of them being atached with a seal, but ill have a look tonight.

My main thought on Lokens armour is that it wouldn have been more ornate than the other marines in the legion but would have had symbols of rank like the Head crest.

Also i agree with Rau le Creuset and Havock about the bolters, "new"bolters am teh bestest!

Also with the oaths of moment im not sure if there is a description of them being atached with a seal, but ill have a look tonight.

I believe there is in False Gods, right before Horus goes to the moon of Davin. He has the Mournival attach his oath to his armor.

just as a guide, one of the commanders on the cover of the HH book IS Loken.

He is one of the plumed commanders. (the red stripe on his face plate marks him out as part of the mournival)

he looks to have a Gladius type sword and a bolter.

Archived