My Grey Knight Grand Master

That cape looks filthy. It looks like he has fought his way through the digestive tract of a Great Unclean One. I suggest you go over the raised areas with some Blood Red to clean it up.

Just being a little neater generally would make him look better, I think the sword should just be painted silver since it looks like the effect you were going for hasn't turned out right.

It's an interesting colour scheme you've chosen. I wonder whether silver would compliment the blue better than gold.

despite teutogen being a pit of gloom, i rather like it. The blue and gold go nicely together and the sword looks nice. It might have been better in gold but each to his own. The cape looks like it could do with a little bit more work but it's a nice start. Other than that, just a few little bits to tidy up and you've got yourself a nice looking mini there.

Teutogen, that constructive criticism was very light on the constructive side IMO. I recommend you try and clean up the model using a bit of light drybrushing on the cape. The sword would look very nice if it wasn't so consistently red. Try and break it up a little. I think painting the sword black, highlighting it then using a fine detail brush to paint recurring red patterns on it would be very nice and effective.

Cut me some slack on the cape it's my first attempt with GS.

On the sword, I was trying to replicate the effect on this guy(which I didn't paint).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/lemonbay96/awesomegreyknightterminator2.jpg

@mr lee- That Idea for the blade sounds really cool, I might Try that.

And about the cape, should I just drybrush it blood red? Also it doesn't look quite that bad in person, but still a little dirty. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Well, this mini is nice. That being said, there are a few things that could make this guy look better. Heres a few things that could improve this guy.

1. At the back of the psycannon theres a large noticible pacth of metal showing through, a quick brush with some chaos black would fix that right up.

2. The gold scripture looks a little flat, I did mine in this way, mithril silver, then a pure brown layer of ink, and drybrushed with a 50/50 mix of mithril silver and shining gold. The end result looks like youve put in more effort than you actually have.

3.The purity seals dont have any writing on the at all, from the pic. If painting it on intimidates you (I know it intimidated me :( ) you can buy small 0.1mm felt tipped pens that will work a treat on them.

4. the force weapon looks like a good try, but i get the feeling you didnt quite achieve the effect you were looking for. There is a cool guide on the coolminiornot forums on how to do a really good looking force weapon in 5 minutes, although it is blue on the site, i think it could work for this guy too.

Well I hope this has helped, and keep us posted on this guy!

LM

@loyalistmarine-1.No theres not, Just the pic makes it look like there is! edit:Yes there is! I'll fix that!

2.allright I might try that.

3. Where can I get these pins?

4. Originally I was trying to do it like the 2nd one, with yellow orange and red blended together. That turned out terrible though, It looked like 3 stripes! I'll go take a look at that tutorial!Thanks

edit: Can you give me a link to that tutorial I can't seem to find it.

edit: Can you give me a link to that tutorial I can't seem to find it.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/385

Hope that helps, I enjoyed the effect so much im using it on my GKs right now.

You should be able to get the pens at a local newsagent, if not use searchy and something should come up.

Good luck with him and keep us posted

That cape looks filthy. It looks like he has fought his way through the digestive tract of a Great Unclean One. I suggest you go over the raised areas with some Blood Red to clean it up.

Just being a little neater generally would make him look better, I think the sword should just be painted silver since it looks like the effect you were going for hasn't turned out right.

It's an interesting colour scheme you've chosen. I wonder whether silver would compliment the blue better than gold.

Dont be stupid that cape looking dirty is great, war isnt a pretty thing and it is dirty no one comes out clean. we weather our tanks why not our men it's not like they have a laundromat out in the middle of battle!

Dont be stupid that cape looking dirty is great, war isnt a pretty thing and it is dirty no one comes out clean. we weather our tanks why not our men it's not like they have a laundromat out in the middle of battle!

Well it could def use some highlighting/shading and some more folds seeing as it kind of clashes with a rather clean model. Other than the cape and sword though try and work on the gold. It stands out a lot and in the second pic (looks like a diff gold) the gold goes with the blue much better.

Good luck

I think he means a dirty paint job, not a dirt effect on the cape, because a dirt effect can be done cleanly and therefore looks good, when you paint dirty it means you got dust or oil or other stuff on your model or you need more practice, not that it got a good dirt effect. hope i made sense...although i rather doubt it

The grandmaster doesn't look too bad, better than my first one, i would just advise you to keep practicing and finding painting lessons somehwere(the local GW's offer them here and i still go to get advice and to use free paint! :P ), although what REALLY bugs me about him is that part behind the psycannon that looks like pewter showing through, it would really look alot better of you fixed that up., as for the cape just try going from red gore, to red gore:blood red 50:50 and then straight blood red for the highlights, pretty basic but you don't need to work on 100 layers just yet.

BTW the highlighting looks really good , maybe that's why the cape stands out? also about the first attempt with Green stuff thing, it's not the green stuff, it's the paint(this is actually good news! it means you don't have to trash the cape, just re paint it)

also do i sense ardcoat? i have a deep seated hate for ardcoat, i find it kills models and their re-paintability factor as well, as it's too hard to get off(with the stuff i use anyway)

Probably already been said but I don't have time to read all.

What I can see is an excellent affect and a nice impacting miniture.

Constructivley? Well, I would say that you are concentrating too much on a technique such as highlighting and forgetting about the detail and basic over all colour. Don't get too carried away with highlights instead take more time and care to colour each area respetively in a nice strong way (several coats) then only after the base coats have been applied properly think about highlights.

Nice work

:tu:

^ Nice, fought through the digestive tract of a GUO, I would take that as a complement :tu:

Archived