currant and former captains

Here's the artwork of Vermaas I painted which is what the model i made is based on, Vermaas appeared very, very briefly in 'storm of Iron' (again there is no description or image of him so i was free to do what i wanted) and to me seemed the natural choice as next captain of the third company, my whole Imperial Fists army is based around this one character, he's armed with his former captain's power swords and has the need to hunt down the Daemon Prince Warsmith that killed his former captain. (The new Ahab... Maybe)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/vermassart.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/00vermaas.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/ifart.jpg

Two former captains of the third company. The picture on the left is Captain Alaric Eshara from the 'Storm of Iron' book, what was interesting was the fact their is no description of what Eshara looks like neither are their any images of him on the web so I went by how I pictured him and wasn't bound by and constraints.

The Picture on the right is Captain Lexandro D'Arquebus from 'Space marine' and the 'Inquisition War' again their was no images of him available but the books do describe his features in detail IE his crew cut, his nose ring, and his cheek tattoo, I planned on painting him in his armour with his powerfist and heavy Bolter but instead I went for what he looked like at the end of 'Chaos Child' for example his armour is missing as is his eye.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/Venatus1.jpg

This is Lysander's former second company captain, Captain Venatus, he and Captain Glavius were the first two Imperial Fist captains I'd heard of.

Nice concept art, Vermaas looks very cool.

You have quite a distinctive style, it's nice to see.

I'm not sure if I like your D'Arquebus sketch as much as the others though, he seems a bit anatomically incorrect, with regards to the musculature.

Hey. Nice work man. I really like your style. I do, however, have a few quibbles about Lex. I havent read Chaos Child... It's out of print here, and I cant seem to get it from the UK, so I'll just go off what I know from Harlequin.

he seems a bit anatomically incorrect, with regards to the musculature.
I have to agree. Does he have... an 8-pack? :o Also, He seems a bit slender for a captain of Imperial Fists - for any Space Marine! - and a tad too youthful-looking... He's muscled, yes, but when I read Harlequin I pictured a grizzled, battle-worn Space Marine, bulked out with the typical SM Schwarzeneggar-dwarfing musculature. Perhaps thats just me.

Apart from that, great work, man. I pose a question: you take commissions?

Imperator defendare illa quisnam pugna is suus nomine.

Flintlock

I have to agree. Does he have... an 8-pack? Also, He seems a bit slender for a captain of Imperial Fists - for any Space Marine! - and a tad too youthful-looking... He's muscled, yes, but when I read Harlequin I pictured a grizzled, battle-worn Space Marine, bulked out with the typical SM Schwarzenegger-dwarfing musculature. Perhaps that's just me.

Haha Lex does look a bit odd, I think it's down to the lighting and the angle, this was the first picture I did using Ink and was a trail version to see using Ink was better, the problem was how big to make lex without making him look stupid, as far as I'm aware a highly toned and muscular body is 8 pack, you just don't normally see more than six. (I maybe wrong through) After reading Chaos Child again I get the impression that Lex doesn't have the Black Carapace, (This maybe due to the age of the book and GW not having fully developed the space marines anatomy, again I'm not sure, though in the end I gave him one) though he does have the plug sockets in his back. Your right in that he does look young but I think Lex isn't that old for a space marine captain anyway, I worked his age out, but I've forgotten, I think he's less than 100 years old, I'm in the middle of doing a much better version of Lex with 'typical SM Schwarzenegger-dwarfing musculature.' now that i'm used to using ink :wacko:

I hope the diagram is of use, you can see a human body's musculature very clearly.

The abdominal muscles form a 'six-pack' shape, not an 8 pack.

Whenever I draw people I refer to diagrams of this kind, they're very useful.

This diagramm works for a human. Space Marines are a lot more than humans, I don't see any reason why their heavily modified body (increased muscle and skeletal mass, altered ribbon cage and their way taller and so on) has to be drawn like a normal human body. I think a little bit of artistic freedom can be used here.

D'Arquebus is thin, but does not appear to have an eight-pack, IMO.

Then again, I read too many Marvel comics as a kid and my opinion may be heavily biased in that regard...

Right. Big scary men seem to have random layouts of frontal muscles. ^_^ How they all look also changes based on the pose. So I think what's happening in that drawing is that the muscles just aren't flowing right and that's exaggerated by the pose.

Like Ray says, "standard" medical drawings aren't very helpful for Space Marines. More helpful would be super body builder sites which show this sort of thing more clearly.

So back to Ape... the best thing you can do to improve *is* to take the time to study photos and biological drawings so that you *understand* the forms you're drawing. By not knowing what a body part is it's easy to misrepresent it when copying or drawing from memory.

It's good work, just follow the three P's and you'll be fine :D

I hope the diagram is of use, you can see a human body's musculature very clearly.

The abdominal muscles form a 'six-pack' shape, not an 8 pack.

Whenever I draw people I refer to diagrams of this kind, they're very useful.

This diagramm works for a human. Space Marines are a lot more than humans, I don't see any reason why their heavily modified body (increased muscle and skeletal mass, altered ribbon cage and their way taller and so on) has to be drawn like a normal human body. I think a little bit of artistic freedom can be used here.

If that's what you think...

I think they look excellent. My only comment is about D'Arquebus. The actually torso body looks pretty good, but the right elbow looks unaturally skinny compared to the rest of the arm.

But all the rest looks good.

Archived