Classic drop pod

I've been thinking about doing something like that myself for some time now. My idea was to get some cheap plastic balls from a toystore, cut them in two and add details from who knows where to resemble the spherical droppods from back then.

Don't know if anybody has tried to this before but I'd be interested in seeing the results too...

Oh; and welcome to the B&C :)

If you don't mind having a pod that doesn't have working doors, a toilet float should be about the right size and shape. Use plasticard to create panels that look like the doors of the classic pods.

Just don't use the one currently in your toilet, they are available seperatly at a store that carries plumbing supplies ;)

-Legacy40k

Hi and welcome to this great forum

I thought about this last year - was going to use inspiration from a Neo Tank from the gameboy / Nintendo DS game Advance Wars (link - thats a neo tank )

I dont know if you have ever seen those round kids vending machines - where you put in a coin and out pops a toy in a sphere ( often in a sphere which has a brightly coloured half and the other half being transparent with a coin slot ;) ( yep i pay too much attention to things that are gimmicky ) ) - they are fairly well sized - and cost

Hamster balls. You know, those little clear plastics things your tiny fuzzy friend can run around in? They come in a bunch of different sizes, and are near perfect for turning into some really great looking spheroid drop pods. Had a few done up back in the day for Battletech/Mechwarrior. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. You could also try searching the web for some other peoples versions. They really do looks great.

Thanks, some good ideas there, getting an extra ball to cut up for detail...thats a good tip, fortunatly hamsters come with two balls allready :blush: seriously though , those hamster running balls are probably the right size.

Gotta love stuff of legends, I have some of the deployed pods but couldn't remember the detail on the outside of the pod.

Not sure if I'm up to making one with opening doors.

Damm, I might have to make one of each :wacko:

Archived