Black Legion Dreadnought

ardyer

I completed this model over the weekend. He gun arm is swapable with rare earth magnets, as is the havoc launcher on top. The close combat arm, however is permenantly attached. He is mostly painted to a gaming standard, although I did take the black's highlights a little farther than I normally do for gaming models. What do y'all think?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/ardyer/40k%20Chaos%20Album/dred_frontlow.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/ardyer/40k%20Chaos%20Album/dred_sidelow.jpg

Ohh I love the old metal dreads and yours sir, is evil looking. :o

The paintjob on the bone parts and reds as well as the highlights, are all really crisp.

That's also a very impressive job on the freehand symbol. Yellow (on white +) on black! is something that rarely looks as good as this, in my opinion.

My only critique is that the lenses appear to be a bit chalky but maybe it's the lighting.

The painting on the old Dreadnought dose look very cool & I think you done a good job on the highlights, could we see more of your Black Legion troopers :o

Again great work & is now remind me I got to rebuild my own old dreadnought & get him painted.

IP

My only critique is that the lenses appear to be a bit chalky but maybe it's the lighting.

Thanks for all the compliments! I screwed up on the lenses and was to lazy to repaint, so that likely has something to do with it :lol:

The painting on the old Dreadnought dose look very cool & I think you done a good job on the highlights, could we see more of your Black Legion troopers :huh:

Again great work & is now remind me I got to rebuild my own old dreadnought & get him painted.

IP

Not sure if the rolled eyes mean your serious or not :P but the rest of the army so far (a total of 1000 points) is a hodge podge of of techniques, and although they are all black legion some are highlighted with shadow grey, some with codex grey, etc... but I finally have a method down so hopefully I'll get some more done soon!

Would if be possible to post pictures of the magnet arm off :D

I am working on the same model and would like to make magnetic arms allso.

Well, I am rushing around getting ready to attend my wedding this weekend, so I can't promise I will be able to get photos before I leave tomorrow, but I'll try my hardest :) Unless there are other's interested, I'll just PM you if I take them.

Great model awesomely cool high lights, though I must say the chaos free hand on the close combat arm look a bit :blink: :D not that its bad but the color seems sorta strange

I ran into two problems when working on it. The first was that the base coat of bestial brown wasn't thinned properly so the symbol is a bit lumpy. The second relates to the colors I was going to paint it. I originally intended to use the same colors in NMM Gold, but got halfway through and could not find a necessary paint, so I switched to yellow, which is the color of the decals provided. That might be what makes it look strange.

Not sure if the rolled eyes mean your serious or not

I was being serious... never done that when you ask someone to buy you somthing, like when your a kid wanting candy or a toy????

Again I was being serious as I really wanted to see your Black Legion army.

IP

Not sure if the rolled eyes mean your serious or not

I was being serious... never done that when you ask someone to buy you somthing, like when your a kid wanting candy or a toy????

Again I was being serious as I really wanted to see your Black Legion army.

IP

No Problem :lol: I've only got one guy I'd be willing to show off now, but I am going to start a havoc squad after I get back from my honey moon that will hopefully be worthy to show...now that I have my method down :)

Would if be possible to post pictures of the magnet arm off ^_^

I am working on the same model and would like to make magnetic arms allso.

PM Sent.

Hey man, great job on the dread. Some quick advice. Mix a small amount of blue ink, a small amount of black ink and a lot of brown ink, water and some FFF if you have any. Then brush over the metal parts. It looks like the metal paint you chose here is chainmail. If so, after the ink has dried of course go over it again in smaller streaks with chainmail, if its boltgun metal redo it in boltgun metal, etc. The inking and highlighting will really finish the model off. Again great job and I think we all look forward to seeing more of your work. ^_^

- Brother Augusta Decimus'

Hey man, great job on the dread. Some quick advice. Mix a small amount of blue ink, a small amount of black ink and a lot of brown ink, water and some FFF if you have any. Then brush over the metal parts. It looks like the metal paint you chose here is chainmail. If so, after the ink has dried of course go over it again in smaller streaks with chainmail, if its boltgun metal redo it in boltgun metal, etc. The inking and highlighting will really finish the model off. Again great job and I think we all look forward to seeing more of your work. ^_^

- Brother Augusta Decimus'

I actually used that ink mix on the metallics, however, afterwords I just drybrushed the highlights on as he is primarily a gaming model. Once I get a couple more things done for the army, I'll be sure to go back and do that though!

Per IP's request for more black legion, here are some Game Standard models...only painted to get them on the table and they are a bit dusty :blush:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/ardyer/40k%20Chaos%20Album/BLAS.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/ardyer/40k%20Chaos%20Album/BLPG.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/ardyer/40k%20Chaos%20Album/BL1.jpg

lately I have been seeing some of the old metal chaos dreadnoughts being painted, at first I never really liked the model (does not look right imo), but now I am REALLY tempted in getting one (maybe two) to paint for my black legion and word bearer forces.

but yeah this is a really nice model, very slick and evil looking.

Archived