PAINTING MARINES, TIPS AND TRICKS>

hey, im not very experienced in painting marines. So I dont know any tricks people may use, so how is the best way to get those white dots in the eye lense? and keeping the lines on the gaurds on thier shoulders straight. Any tips or ticks would be most appriciated.

For the dots on the lens, you will want to use a brush with a real good point, and I find it works best with non-thinned white paint, but it's all about the practice.

As far as keeping the highlight lines on the shoulder pad straight, it is also practice, but one really good tip is to keep the original color on hand and clean up the lines after you are done. You can make a real thick line pretty thin with a lot less stress that way.

thanks, but i meant the raised edge on the shoulder pad. How to keep the seperating line of color straight. Myabe masking????

Mostly it's just about a steady hand, which you will develop when you paint. Also, painting with the side of the brush, helps, since then the paint will only stick to the raised area if you angle your brush correctly and don't use too much paint.

Cheers

hey, im not very experienced in painting marines. So I dont know any tricks people may use, so how is the best way to get those white dots in the eye lense?

Mostly I use a really fine brush with thinned down Skull White paint. Carefully dot where you want the paint to go. If your hand isn't too steady, or your brush tip isn't worth bragging about, replace the brush by a toothpick and dot the eye.

and keeping the lines on the gaurds on thier shoulders straight. Any tips or ticks would be most appriciated.

Mostly with a steady hand, I'm affraid. You can also paint the edge, and then give it an ink wash to darkline everything. A careful ink wash will mask any crooked transitions between the trim color and the shoulder pad color, and it will collect in the recesses giving you a nice and straight line.

To paint the whole marine i have a 5 step technique that works quite well...

1) Basecoat - paint flat colours onto the mini where you want them

2) Wash - I usually use a blue/black ink with a little bit of black paint mixed in and wash the whole mini not discriminating between colours

3) Recoat - Repaint flat colour over the mini, this time taking care to avoid the cracks that the ink has settled in.

4) 1st Highlight - usually a tad lighter than the colour im highlighting

5) 2nd Highlight - This is drastically brighter than the colour im highlighting, usually the next lightest colour in the range or maybe even the one after that. e.g. Regal Blue would be highlighted with enchanted or even ice blue depending on how it comes out.

Et voila. Obviously on character minis i use a few more highlight steps.

As for the dots in the eyes, i either dont bother (e.g. awkward poses) or i use a toothpick with white straight from the pot.

And for the bands on the pad, rather than try to paint it i run the flat edge of the brush over it a couple of times.

Hope it helps

<~ Brother Atheos ~>

I find that using a magnifying visor works extremely well. It takes a couple of days to get use to. However, I find that it is without measure in value for my mini painting. Especially on details such as eyes.

For eyes, I try to put the white in as close to the sculpted detail as possible. Then I take a color slightly darker than the skin basecoat, and out line the socket to give the illusion of depth.

I find that using a magnifying visor works extremely well. It takes a couple of days to get use to. However, I find that it is without measure in value for my mini painting. Especially on details such as eyes.

a magnafying visor??? i have a magnafying glass from the battle gamesin middle earth magizine, but it screws up my hand to eye. What is this visor you speak of and do you loose any co-ordination?

It fits on your head like a visor, and it is pretty much just a magnifying glass. Comes in a couple of different magnifications. I got it from Laszlo back in 2003 and have been using one ever since.

It took me a couple of days to get accustomed to the difference in perspective, but I have good control over my own body so it was not too much of a stretch. It costs about $20 US to own one. I would say invest in one, and experiment.

At the very least, you will have a set of styling eye and head wear that will make the girls swoon.

It fits on your head like a visor, and it is pretty much just a magnifying glass. Comes in a couple of different magnifications. I got it from Laszlo back in 2003 and have been using one ever since.

It took me a couple of days to get accustomed to the difference in perspective, but I have good control over my own body so it was not too much of a stretch. It costs about $20 US to own one. I would say invest in one, and experiment.

At the very least, you will have a set of styling eye and head wear that will make the girls swoon.

lol. I got a magnifying headset for Christmas. I'm not sure about making the girls swoon as my girlfriend just laughed at me. A lot. :P

But it is very helpful once you get used to the perspective shift.

For eyes, I try to put the white in as close to the sculpted detail as possible. Then I take a color slightly darker than the skin basecoat, and out line the socket to give the illusion of depth.

Any particular brand you recommend?(mag visor)

Archived