Mixing paint and ink

As the subject suggests, can you mix paint and ink? I'm going to tackle my first ever highlights tomorrow, and I'm wondering if I should mix Dark Angels green with snot green, then water down, or if I could mix the snot green with dark green ink? I don't want my highlights being too bright (like to keep them as 'Dark' Angels). Help gratefully received.

BL

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can. I'm not an expert on the subject but my guess is that an ink is simply a watered down paint with an added agent sort of like flow improver. Should you add paint to an ink you would most likely only have to water down the final mixture to combat the added thickness from the paint. Hope that makes sense ^_^

i believe Lord_Maggots a bit off about ink simply being watered down paint, but he is spot on about mixing paint with ink, i havent really done anything with it myself but quite a few people do it (if memory serves Chaplain Desmodus' rather awesome Marines Malevolent have a Yellow Paint + White Paint + Yellow Ink base, and i've heard several people espouse about using black paint + black ink for undercoating)

That is what dullcote is for, unless it is against your religion to varnish.

Diluting paint with ink works well, but I only use it for specific colors. Blue/ blue ink. Black/ black ink. White/ white ink. Now before someone asks about the white ink, Winsor and Newton makes some. works great. Improves coverage on grey.

Other than that I use Future Floor finish for diluting paint. Acrylic based. I see no noticable change in pigment. But then again I do not have the calibrated eyeballs of some.

For your application, I would try 1 drop of snot green, and one drop of ink. For more depth, try a drop of dark angels green with a drop of black ink to provide some shading

Archived