Black Templar Cross Tattoo

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo of the Black Templar Cross. I have been thinking about getting one for quite some time now, but I don't quite know what I'd like to have in the middle of it. I don't want to change any of the proportions of the cross or have anything written or added to the exterior beyond the lines. I have two general ideas for the interior:

I. A simple black that fills the interior.

II. Somekind of traditional heraldric pattern?

If anyone has any ideas, either written or drawn, I'd be glad to hear them.

Don't forget the germans have used various crosses, including the maltese cross for their airplanes in WW1 and variations of it in ww2. People might think your a german WW1 aviation freak :blush: Or that you like "iron crosses" etc... Modern day german ground force vehicles also display a marking very close to black templars... Lets not forget the things people also sometimes insinuate the cross with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EK_2class.png

Cheers

Hey power to you for it mate, just be careful about it as many people link it to Nazis and WW2 and may take offence to it on these grounds. BTW are you serious about GW and tatts being theft of IP?? GW strikes again, just when i was thinking of getting an Aquilla across one shoulder blade! BTW do you have any info on GW and this type of thing before?

so that was a tangent, i would suggest something like the cross with the skull inside it or a scroll with a name on it or something on the inside.

I doubt very much that GW can claim intellectual property on the Aquilla and the Maltese Cross. They belong, intellectually, to the romans and the Knights Templar, and later the nazis. The nazis hijacked all sorts of symbols. But, I don't see how or why they would claim intellectual property. And even if they did, what could they do about it? tell you to rip your skin off (or get the tattoo removed)?

I'm not going for any WW2 German/Nazi style "Iron Cross" as depicted in Chronophague's post. I was thinking of something like the 16th Century Maltese Cross. The plan is that it will look like the Black Templar water transfer decals that you get in a standard box of Marines.

If you still need an idea as to what it looks like, go here: http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/eight.htm

It will be the "Maltese Cross" on that site, not the "Cross Formee'" or any other variant.

Besides, the appearance and shape of this cross is, in my opinion, public property and not the intellectual property of GW. It has appeared on medieval coins, in manuscripts and apparel.

So back on track, does anyone have any suggestions about the interior of the cross. I've seen how some people paint muted swirls on the interiors of marine capes, I was looking for something similar to that.

Yes, this symbol is definitely in the public domain. However, GW does expressly forbid getting tattoos of symbols they invented in their IP statement. There is a certain amount of logic to it (namely preventing their symbols from becoming public domain through usage), but at the same time anyone who wants to go through gettting a tattoo of something GW associated is probably a really hardcore gamer and thus someone who has shelled out no end of money to them. Seems like they might be willing to let it slide.

I think your SOL on this one as the order's that used the Maltese cross there heraldry was the cross and the cross alone. The knight's templars for example gave up everything to join the order home title land and moneys went to the order all so the man could serve god and be assured a place in heaven. so no Fancy beast no fleur-de-lys no colours or saltier(slanted cross Eg death company) just a plain red(templar) or black(hospitaller) cross.

But you want ideas for a fictional army set 38'000 years in the future so maybe have some litany shaded into the cross or a raised aquilla.

Good Luck

How about making a cross with a raised central facets [like"+" ] and then have shades introduced on different facets? that is pretty simple, and would leave room for highlighs and shading :blink:

cheers

-t14

The people here paint crosses smaller than a dime. :blink:

Bring it to your Tattooist. He/She has done hundreds of Maltese/Iron Crosses and other simple designs that they've made cool with their treatment. Do not get tattooed that day and let them know up front that you want to sleep on it. Go home and think about whatever ideas they have. Look through their books to get an idea of how their ideas translate back into the flesh. Do not be afraid to tell them you're not into that idea, if they can't take it well, find another tattooist. Too many people are intimidated when they're actually in the shop.

Archived