Conversion Consensus

I'm doing a DIY marines, and they are in fact called "The Rose Princes" with the base covered in shrubery and fabric roses.

In keeping with that theme, I was going to use a weapon called a Thorn Lash. It would "technically" be a Power Chain Sword, modeled to look like a Cat o' Nine Tails, with each strand looking like a rose stem all covered in thorns...

... but, I was just going to use the rules and point costs for a Power Fist. (partially this is theme, and partially because I just hate the way power fists look.)

I don't know how picky people are about stuff like this.... with my Tyranids convertions like this are almost manditory, but there so much Doctrine-this and Heresey-that for Space Marines, i didn't know if there was going to be anyone flipping out on me about WYSIWYG.

What's all your thoughts?

Well in general there are two points to keep in mind. Either keep such unique weapons for characters only or be sure to model the changes the same across the army.

Example:

It's cool if you're going to do your Commander with the Thorn Lash and your Sergeants and Terminators with normal Power Fist models.

It's cool if every Power Fist model in your army is represented by the Thorn Lash.

It is *not* cool if your Commander has a Thorn Lash, a Sergeant has an Electro Rose, a Terminator has Florist Shears and they all count as Power Fists.

Florist Shears! LOL!

I agree. If the non-standard stuff is the same across the board, and you tell your opponent, I can't see anything wrong. Just do what you can to avoid horrible conversations involving suddenly finding out "that dude there has a POWERFIST?!!!" mid-game...

I would have no problems with a non-wysiwyg switch out for new weapos, but it's important to make your new items resemble being able to accomplish what the weapon they are supposed to can. So in the case of your whip, I wouldn't believe that it doubles the strength of the user, so in my opinion this wouldn't work so well. After all a powerfist can rip holes in vehicles, can outright kill toughness 4 characters, it also goes last in combat. It doesn't make sense to me that a whip (power-chainsword or whatever is powering it) would be doing these things.

So in my opinion I would say no, only because I would say it is a poorly thought out 'counts as', I'm sure there would be a better replacement for the powerfist.

okay.... 3 to 1 for Rose Lashes. Sounds good enough for me.

And yes... they will be across the board... every sgt w/ Terminator Honors and all IC will be armed with them.

Thank you everyone for your imput.

Archived