Paint stripping

Well based on other posts on this forum I decided to try and use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove paint from a Rhino. I spayed down the vehicle and put it in a plastic tub and let it sit for a day.

The result was my Rhino, that had ink washes on it to make it look used, now looks like it has been through the tank-wash. It looks spittin brand new as if I just painted it. None of the actual paint cam off but all of the ink did.

I am trying again with more Easy-Off. This is the odourless kind.

Any comments on what, if anything, I am doing wrong or do I just need more patience?

Blech. That stuff is toxic as hell. Try the Simple Green. It's better for you and better environmentally as well (hey, enough of our hobby is toxic so we have to help out somehow, right?).

Good luck though, whatever you use. I've bought some really cool minis, stripped them and had great models for a fraction of the GW price.

Hi,

I use Catrol SuperClean Degreaser. I tried Simple Green but it didn't work very well. Of course, maybe I did something wrong but, when I tried SuperClean, it went much better. You just have to leave your models soaking for a few hours and voil

Well based on other posts on this forum I decided to try and use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove paint from a Rhino. I spayed down the vehicle and put it in a plastic tub and let it sit for a day.

The result was my Rhino, that had ink washes on it to make it look used, now looks like it has been through the tank-wash. It looks spittin brand new as if I just painted it. None of the actual paint cam off but all of the ink did.

I am trying again with more Easy-Off. This is the odourless kind.

Any comments on what, if anything, I am doing wrong or do I just need more patience?

Tch, yeah I had to deal with that too. I bought some minis from a dude who had....sprayed the mini black, sprayed it orange, painted red, did details over the red and then lnked it. I had to re-soak with easy off pretty much once for each layer...and well enough scrubbing to screw the detail on it's own... ;)

I bought some minis from ebay which needed stripping so I used Dettol (The brown one) which worked a treat....admittedly, some of the minis needed a second soak, because of the the thickness of the paint on them, but the majority came up perfect first time.

However, if I was looking to repaint a Rhino, I would probably just sand down the existing paint job, with a fine grade sandpaper, and re-spray over it, rather than trying to strip the whole thing chemically.

I guess EasyOff is a little too toxic for my taste also.. At least, SuperClean "looks" less toxic :blink:

Dracul.

Actually it is just as toxic...

Castrol is a strong base, I believe, and as such you should wear heavy duty rubber gloves and eye protection when using it.

I failed to do either this weekend when I was stripping some RT era Termies. I had a chemical burn on my index finger and thumb for a few days. Prolonged exposure can cause burns, so from now on I wear glove and eye protection.

Simple green has *NEVER* worked for me. Sure it's non-toxic, but if it works as good as warm soapy water, it's not worth my time.

Just me two pieces-of-eight...

-J

An update!

I reapplied the Easy Off and let it sit for another day. This time I scrubbed a bit harder and the paint came off.

I then rinsed the Rhino in cold water and it is now drying. The only problem is I now have to let it dry a few days because of all of the nooks and crannies .

Definately use gloves when doing this. I didn't and after ten minutes scrubbing the rhino my hands look like they have been in a tub of hot water for a couple of hours....all wrinkly. Next time gloves for sure.

Thanks for the tips!

Archived