sm commander- ultra marines

matthew.s

One I did a few months ago. Did it ina s impel colour scheme but painted it really carefully, one of ym best works to date. I'm 13 years old and have been painting for 1 yeart now.

This guy won me under 13's best 40k at my local gw a few months ago.

Pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/matt5276/1spacemarinecommanderfinished.jpg

I think I messed up the cloak but the rest I'm pleased with.

Thanks,

Matt.

Nice job there.. I was also twelve when I started out.. That's actually alot better than I painted a year ago.. I painted like hell back then.. and here I am 6 years later, the painting has definetly improved.. especially because of some of the guys on this forum (Y, Nihm, Ironloki, and so on) stick around and you'll definetly learn some things... I know I did..

Luther..

Painting is only something you can improve by experience. I started at 18 and you're pretty on par with my work at the time!

My critique; this model is really quite good, the weakest part is not the cloak (which wont be seen much anyways) but the banner on his waist. The attempt at freehand is good, but I would suggest using a decal instead. For writing small text try getting an Archival or Micron pen at a hobby shop with a 0.05' tip, they're awesome tools! Only costs a couple bucks.

i have been painting for the last 16 years on and off and your painting is alot better than mine.

Yeah, i've only been painting half a year myself, steady work makes for fast improvement without a doubt. The most noticable 'flaw' in my opinion is your golds. Looks like copper with that wash over it to me. Other than that, it's great for your age, keep it up.

I like the cape, and the first transition between the darkest blue and the lighter blue, but I think you could improve a little on the brightest layer of blue.

On the freehand, the shapes look right, but the outlining with black just doesn't seem right to me. I would suggest that you only use black or blue, not both, as it's hard to make the black lines equally thin all along the edge (and to make it very thin at all)...

Greetings from a fellow mediocre Ultramarine painter.

lol im a fairly decend ultramarine player/painter whos army i might add was really destroyed by incoming * ;) chaos loving iraqi's* anywhoo i would like to say that that is a paint job thats far better than i've seen at my last trip to a gw battle night (gw hong kong) and ive seen far worse paint jobs done by myself and many more experianced painters all in all props :angry:

WOW!

This would be a well painted model by anyones standards, for someone of your age its truly exceptional!

I think one thing that is important over all other techniques and tricks is that you are accurate in your painting and take your time and thats something that seems inherent here!

When I worked for GW I used to give painting lessons to kids around 12-15 years old, and many of them looked like they had been painted by a combination of boxing gloves and chalk by comparison.

My own advice is that looking at the photo, I would be tempted to add a little water to the paint, just to thin it down a little and give more of an even finish.

Otherwise, sterling work!

Thanks, I'll try to work on my gold, have you got any tips?

Thanks,

Matt.

;) Honestly, I don't use metallics anymore since I switched to NMM. I think it would have looked better minus the ink though, with a highlight of silver perhaps to help it stand out more. Like I said, my complaint was more so "not gold looking" rather than poorly done. So keep up the good work!

Archived