CoD marker WIP - Razorwire

LupoLoopy

http://www.tvxc.org/minis/CoD_razorwire.jpg

As the base of these I've used 6" rulers (that happen to be 1" wide). I've then put various model train bits on, some GW razorwire & then I've 40k-ified them with various props. What do you think to my pre-paint pieces? I've got 3 more that just need sanding up too...

Very cool. Great idea sticking them to rulers, i would have just cut it out of card, but rulers are cheap and easy to acquire, so why bother? lol

The only bad thing is the shiny surface. If you forget to key up the surface by sanding it, or dont sand it enough, it's a bit of a pig to get the basing materials to adhere using PVA & it's ilk.

Guest mentors

these are great, as i've just remembered i've got 4 or 5 rulers lying around. excellent idea, i think i'll be robbing it.

;)

A good strong pair of pliers should be sufficient to rip the metal thingy out of the ruler and boom your worries are gone.

Since they are based on rulers do they appear to be floating off the ground or is there an even transistion to the table surface?

AA

Metal thing? There is no metal thing. The shiny surface is just from it being moulded plastic (i.e. it's smooth).

They have sloped sides & flat ends (useful for storage), plus they're going to be painted at some point, thus solving the levitation problem...

These look good. My only comment, having deployed razor wire once in the army, is that it usually isn't that perfectly even. Maybe on your next three, make it a little less perfect so it's a bit "bunched up" in spots.

Psst... why spend so much on GW wire when you can make your own? Buy some aluminium car body repair mesh and cut in to strips, wrap around a pencil and repeat. Cheap at half the price.

Or get some Hasslefree barbed wire. Looks way better then the GW stuff. If you want I'd give you a comparison, I got mine yesterday :tu: ...

Another possible reason for them looking like they are bent or levitating is the glue. Elmers/ PVA glue contracts when it drys, causing pieces to curve. I'm assuming the basing process here used PVA glue. To remedy, simple coat the bottom in a layer of glue as well and let dry. The two layers should cancel each other out and create a flat base.

Another possible reason for them looking like they are bent or levitating is the glue. Elmers/ PVA glue contracts when it drys, causing pieces to curve. I'm assuming the basing process here used PVA glue. To remedy, simple coat the bottom in a layer of glue as well and let dry. The two layers should cancel each other out and create a flat base.

It's not that. The rulers are plastic, thus they're not bending from the minimal force PVA puts out. The reason they look like they're floating at present is purely because the ruler is transparant.

Or it could be that the razorwire is not glued properly to the base. Look at the far left piece of razorwire. You can clearly see a shadow go ALL the way under it thus meaning it is not even touching the base. Maybe try using superglue next time?

Oh, I see hwat you mean now.

I've got no problem with the fact the razorwire isnt attached at every point along the base. Why should it be? It would have a certain amount of tension, plus it's meant to look like its wrapped around the posts, thus allowing it to be held up.

Looking good, Simple yet effective. Ive been thinking of using some of the thin 50/60mm bases and knocking up a few stratagems myself. Cool idea loopy, cant wait to see it painted.

Thanks. Painting it later.

Archived