Reliable way to paint:

I have a large number of marines, and lots of bits to really customize either an Imperial Fist or Crimson fist army. My only problem is I love the way Imperial Fists look, but I'm fairly intimidated by them. I'm looking for a way to paint either of these two chapters so that I get consistent results. Any suggestions?

Crimson Fists are going to be MUCH easier than Imperial Fists. You shouldn't have a problem priming white or black with the CF, but you are pretty much limited to white with the IF. You could use colored primer, which would be my recommendation if you were completely set on IFs. I painted up one IF, and I'm probably not going to do another. It was that much of a pain.

ok, i'm a BT player so I dont know THAT much about the color yellow...cuz we're sponsored by the color black. Anyway, I use yellow alot badges and the like, I found a good color called Insignia Yellow, it's made by Model Masters. I like it alot, and even used it on an old EC who i had fluffed to be blessed by an IF Chaplain. It's a nice solid color and dosnt run or do anything nasty. Most hobby stores carry Model Masters paints...so if you dont want to airbrush, check it out

I'm currently doing an IF army, VGC's Gold yellow is very good, yes you'll have to undercoat white but the pigment is good and two coats gives you a good consistent colour. I use a GW brown ink mixed about 3:1 with VGC Glaze medium to shade the whole model and then repaint any solid areas and highlight up the rest. Yellow is like red and takes a lot of coats to get a good finish but the results when its done can be awesome. I'll try and post some pics as soon as I can, I'm enjoying painting my termies atm using the method above. Overall, using Vallejo paints has been a much nicer experience than anything I've achived with GW ones, they're cheaper too.

If you want to use GW's paints you can get a very effective yellow from black.

Black spray

Vomit Brownx2

Vomit Brown+ Golden Yellowx2

Golden yellow+Vomit Brownx1

Golden Yellowx1

Sunburst yellow highlight

although it takes awhile it looks VERY nice, and people go nuts when you say you can paint yellow from black.

If you want a quicker less good looking way.

Spray White

Yellow Inkx2

golden yellowx2

Sunburst Highlight

Chesnut ink wash (glaze for that Imperial Fists shiny look)

hope i helped

If you want to use GW's paints you can get a very effective yellow from black.

Black spray

Vomit Brownx2

Vomit Brown+ Golden Yellowx2

Golden yellow+Vomit Brownx1

Golden Yellowx1

Sunburst yellow highlight

although it takes awhile it looks VERY nice, and people go nuts when you say you can paint yellow from black.

I would swap the black primer for white primer. Than it does look fine. But if you use black ;) let's put it this way, you'll have some chunky marines on your hands ;)

If you want a quicker less good looking way.

Spray White

Yellow Inkx2

golden yellowx2

Sunburst Highlight

Chesnut ink wash (glaze for that Imperial Fists shiny look)

hope i helped

That way is good if you want massively quick results. I'd suggest if you want tabletop quality, to go with that method. :)

Great techniques Impaler ;)

For blue:

Midnight blue base

Regal blue layer

75/25 Regal Blue Enchanted Blue highlight

50/50 Blue & Black Ink wash

Artimis

I'd buy an Airbrush, I've painted 8 marines in IF colours using Courtjesters yellow recepie (IMO the best and easiest/most forgiving), it just takes too long to paint yellow without an Airbrush though IMO.

What is that method? I can't find it

Anyone?

The easiest way I found to paint yellow while painting my Tau, was the following

Paint basecoat of tanned flesh

then paint on bronzed flesh

then just paint the yellow you want.

after that i just shade it in with some ink. orange or brown works fine.

pretty much thats it and it also looks great. very easy method to use.

Hope that helps

Actually Artemis, i have my (mostly) painted Venerable dreadnaught model which i did from black and the yellow looks fine and it isnt chunky in the slightest.

Better luck than me then ;) :lol: I painted some imperial fists for commission once and tried both ways of this, I find white is easier. :) But whichever you like, playing it safe, or shocking truths are revealed when you tell peopel your method.

Artimis

I'd buy an Airbrush, I've painted 8 marines in IF colours using Courtjesters yellow recepie (IMO the best and easiest/most forgiving), it just takes too long to paint yellow without an Airbrush though IMO.

Anyone?

I've not beean around much... sorry for not picking up on this sooner...

You can find a guide to how I paint yellow here

Anyone?

I've not beean around much... sorry for not picking up on this sooner...

You can find a guide to how I paint yellow here

Ohhhhhhhh I thought they were airbrushed. This is actually the exact same way i've been painting yellow. One of the UK studio guys showed me. Only i mix in elf flesh to orange for the highlight, and instead of ink i use waterred down yellow

Ohhhhhhhh I thought they were airbrushed. This is actually the exact same way i've been painting yellow. One of the UK studio guys showed me. Only i mix in elf flesh to orange for the highlight, and instead of ink i use waterred down yellow

Cool Beans... It is pretty much the best way to get a very vibtant yellow with great contrasts :lol:

Cool Beans... It is pretty much the best way to get a very vibtant yellow with great contrasts :(

Indeed. I am going to try to airbrush the orange on, maybe do the peach by hand, and then *maybe* airbrush the final ink stage to save on time.

It is pretty much the best way to get a very vibtant yellow with great contrasts :(

Any chance you put up this tutorial here on the B&C? Then I can add it to the tutorial archives :( .

It is pretty much the best way to get a very vibtant yellow with great contrasts ;)

Any chance you put up this tutorial here on the B&C? Then I can add it to the tutorial archives :D .

It was here in this very Forum before the "end times..." :ph34r:

I'll post it again here for you to do stuff with... ;)

Archived