Steel Wool burning Effect

I remember seeing somewhere I think it was the GW site about using steel wool to creat a fire/burning effect. Has anyone done this? I plan to use this to create the flames for some of the afterburners on my assult squad's jump packs. As it stands now the colors I will be using will be blues. But back to the question has any used the steel wool technique for a burning effect? I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing this. Any help would be welcomed.

Ive done it a couple of times with 1/35 armor it involves a steel brush (resembles a big tooth brush with brass bristles) and work gloves ( the steel wool will eat your fingers for breakfast) I just took the SW in one hand and placing it on my work table ran the brush over it with just a bit of pressure....it straightened the SW pretty well and then i was able to work wth it failry easily

Thanks for the reply. I already seperated the steel wool. I work with metal all day so my hands are already pretty cut, beat, torn, and rough. How did you paint it? I was thinking of starting with a dark blue then gradually getting lighter as it got out closer to the edges, sort of like the afterburnner of a jet engine. Do you have any pics of your model?

What might work for that idea is:

Spray Black

Drybrush entire thing Dark blue (Regal Blue)

Drybrush top 2/3 Medium Blue (Enchanted Blue) fading out towards the edge

Drybrush top 1/3 Light Blue (Ice Blue) fading out towards the edge

Personally I think it would look best having the part closest to the afterburners, lightest....

Archived