what is on shoulder pads and choose a symbol?

Hi,

Sorry for the noobish question but I'm a little confused with what goes on space marine shoulder guards, left and right?

And also, I need a name and symbol for my chapter. Heres my chapter colours:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/matt5276/newgreenone.jpg

BTW, the gun looks the same colour as the grey but it will be metallic.

I haven't any ideas on either question, so I hope you can help.

If you have any ideas for the scheme tell me aswell, I've only done one model.

Thanks,

Matt.

the left shoulder pad usually has the marines chapter marking, the symbol of his chapter.

the right one is often the squad markings, an icon indicating what squad he is in.

If you do a google search you can probably find a full description of the various marking, but from memory the different types are shown in codex space marines.

From what I recall, the idea is to have the chapter icon facing the enemy. With a right-handed firing stance, this would be the left shoulder. The right shoulder is then visible to a commander coordinating the assault, allowing him to command each squad more easily. Of course, the latter part does not take into account the commander's rushing headlong to rip his enemies apart in CC.

If there's some specific piece of background story that you want your Marines to be based around then try to work a name and Icon from that theme. If there isn't, then just leave the Chapter Badge off for now, play some games, read more forums and GW backstory. Once you get to know more about the Universe you may have a totally different idea than what first struck you. Then you won't have to go back and redo a lot of work :tu:

I like the scheme, its simple but effective, no ideas on a name however, as mentioned above perhaps wait til you have played a few games,read some more fluff and then think of how your chapter fights, what its motivations are(other than cleansing, purging, burning and otherwise brutalising traitors, heretics and aliens)etc then choose your name/symbol

I suggest another factor to consider when deciding on an insignia is how well you can paint it. An otherwise well-painted mini can be taken down a couple notches by a complex, but poorly painted chapter insignia. The other option of course is to make (or have made) custom decals.

Something simple to paint but still looks good. With your color scheme I'd use something red or the same color as the squad symbol on the opposite soulder.

Naming is simple: adjective noun.

Black fangs

Weird Griffons

Emperor's Monkies

Archived