Dark Apostle W.I.P

At the moment im working on a few new projects, one of them being Captain Loken from the HH books which is somewhere on this forum :P

But i've started building a new Word Bearers force and after a few attempts at this ive started a Dark Apostle that im generally happy with, but i thought i'd pick everyone elses brains for ideas and criticism and comeback before i declare him finished build wise :tu:

Anyway this is him at the moment, it'll have to be links again until i can figure out a way of cropping the pictures and making them bigger without distorting it.

Thanks in advance. :)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0102.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0086.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0080.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal.../DSCF0095-1.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0084.jpg

Thanks Q, It was originally a part of the DA WIP i made using the emperors champion, but i got hit with inspiration yesterday in my local GW so boght the chaplain and decided to use that AA on him, :tu:

I could really do with ideas for details now, im not sure how good the pics are but he has 3 parchment/seals on his chest, 2 on the left side of the daemonic face and one on the other side.

yup thats it Aquila ;), The Iron Halo is from the new Terminator Chaplain btw :D

I've literally just added banding to the join between the handle and familiar section, and have added a parchment/seal over the front of that, ill post the pictures for that tomorrow as i dont have time now ;)

Thanks again for all the comeback guys, its inspiring me to get this one finished lol

And again all C&C is welcomed as is advice, questions and suggestions. (on that point can somebody explain how to get a decent close up picture please? :ph34r:)

ok in response to yor question firstly.. does your camera have a macro or focus function?

secondly i think ensuring that there is no bright light source shining on the model as you are pict-recording could also help.

any case...

your work is truly impressive and well worthy. its shaping up to be an impressive feature.

Pretty cool stuff. I looked hard at that model when I was making my first (of three) Dark Apostle but decided it was too small amongst the other chaos figs. Doesnt that arm have an Ultramarines should pad on it?

Love the chestplate, keep it going.

@ Commnder Trask, is the macro/focus feature the little flower like thing? If so then yes it does, and ill try and take some more in a better lighted area today ;)

@ Akrim, Thanks i wasnt sure if anybody had picked up on that yet :P And to answer your question no he doesnt, the left shoulder pad has a banner across the bottom and the right is like the metel Emperor's Champion one, with the wings and gem.

Thanks to both of you, I hope to have more work up here soon :)

@ Aquila, ill have to look into getting a stand then, and maybe clearing a space to take new pictures :D

@ Grimdarkness, I did think about putting a book of Lorgar on him, but decided that he would have transcribed sections of it onto his armour and onto the parchments and seals adorning his armour, Plus being a Dark Apostle he should've commited the entire tome to memory! :D

Here are thepics of him so far, he now has 3 daemonic faces raising up out of his right shoulder pad, and the plasma pistol from the khornate champion. :D

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0110.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0111.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0112.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0115.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/hal...rs/DSCF0116.jpg

Again all C&C is welcome.

He he he thanks :D, the face on the chest plate and center face on the shoulder pad are made using a certain technique :D

Your Gs'ing is quite good as well, i liked what you did on your army commander version of you :D

Ive been praticising suff like the penants for a couple of weeks now on some other models so i think the saying "practice makes perfect" is quite true.

A lot of the stuff on here has helped as well i think :)

good choice on using that whfb sorcerer staff as your Acurzed Crozarius,

I used the same one for my Dark Apostle conversion a few years back (think its on page 10 of the army commanders thread)

you gotta add some flames somewhere on your DA, very daemonic and cool.

@ Perry, thanks, im going to try and free hand the flames, it'll be my first atempt at doing so, so i think i'll get some help and advice off of the forums first :blink:

Just to let you all know he's now undercoated and i'll start painting him sometime this next week if i have time.

Right, ive been working out how im going to paint this dude, and ive got most of it pegged down, but im having problems deciding on a few things so i thougt id post and get some feedback to help me decide.

Being a Dark Apostle the armour is going to be a dark deep red, im probably going to go from scorched brown through scab red to red gore mixed with bood red, then ill give it an ink wash/glaze.

For the parchments im probably going to scorched brown, bestial brown, snakebite leather, bubonic brown then bleached bone. Im also thinking about doing some of them in flesh tones... ;)

As i said im a bit stumped about how to paint some sections of the model , mainly the Acursed acrozius and the trim on the thighs, Id really appreciate ideas and advice on this please! ^_^

Right, ive been working out how im going to paint this dude, and ive got most of it pegged down, but im having problems deciding on a few things so i thougt id post and get some feedback to help me decide.

Being a Dark Apostle the armour is going to be a dark deep red, im probably going to go from scorched brown through scab red to red gore mixed with bood red, then ill give it an ink wash/glaze.

For the parchments im probably going to scorched brown, bestial brown, snakebite leather, bubonic brown then bleached bone. Im also thinking about doing some of them in flesh tones... ;)

As i said im a bit stumped about how to paint some sections of the model , mainly the Acursed acrozius and the trim on the thighs, Id really appreciate ideas and advice on this please! ^_^

well the word bearer's scheme is a deep red with a silver trim - using gold or brass might make people think that its a 'Zerker, so avoiding that colour section might be a n option. Im not saying you should as its your mini and you want to paint it your way, but i thought id give you a heads up on that one.

As for the cursed crozius.. maybe you could paint it as maybe wood or metal slowly gradiating into flesh (of any demonic colour to further emphasise the corruption)

just a few suggestions off the top of my head

well the word bearer's scheme is a deep red with a silver trim - using gold or brass might make people think that its a 'Zerker, so avoiding that colour section might be a n option. Im not saying you should as its your mini and you want to paint it your way, but i thought id give you a heads up on that one.

LOL, thats something i picked up on with the last WB army that i did, i used a silver trim for that one as well put people couldnt understand that they were WB not WE :lol: Im hoping that the devotional texts and parchments will hopefully clear this up though :)

As for the cursed crozius.. maybe you could paint it as maybe wood or metal slowly gradiating into flesh (of any demonic colour to further emphasise the corruption)

That's something im considering, but how would you paint through from metal into flesh? And what colur best accents the deep red and silver colour scheme? I was thinking of maybe doing it blue or green? :huh:

That's something im considering, but how would you paint through from metal into flesh? And what colur best accents the deep red and silver colour scheme? I was thinking of maybe doing it blue or green? :lol:

err.. well i think metal wise its tricky to do so, so going from a wood structure, or the archetypical black stalk would be better starting off with subtle colour changes before hitting the flesh tones proper maybe i.e green. start with a base coat of black then a 5:1 of black and green, then 4:1, then 3:1 finally 2:1 before hitting the green proper.. a plausible contrast could be rotting flesh or maybe scaly green before working your way into a highlight.

for deep red and silver.. i think any colour such as green or purple would work, blue as a possibility. but most colours would work if done in the right way.

Personally i would go with green as a contrast to the deep red

That's something im considering, but how would you paint through from metal into flesh? And what colur best accents the deep red and silver colour scheme? I was thinking of maybe doing it blue or green? huh.gif

I don't have any ideas on doing the flesh to metal idea, other than making the flesh reaching down the haft of the weapon. But to pull this idea off, I think some GS would be in order. Then you could paint the flesh like flesh and the metal like metal.

IMHO, the crozirus should be painted as though it had multiple layers. To clarify what I mean, I once had an idea to paint the daemon weapon of a DP of mine as though it was glass, with the daemon writhing around inside. I never got to doing the model, and I haven't seen any attempts of the effect, so I sadly can't show you anything. It would also be difficult, considering that the Crozirus is smaller than the sword I was going to use. But heck, if you want to give it a try, I'd LOVE to see it done.

Master_Aerethos

Archived