The question I always wonder about ...

I love the idea of doing an AM army, but want to use a recognised list. Which list is best "reworded" to fit the needs of the AM.

Bear in mind I don't want to add anything to the list, merely rename stuff and make it close to the AM feel. I don't even mind losing some stuff, as that is the cost of playing a "different" army.

There's a few lists you can use, for my explorator force I use the Imperial Guard or Lost and the Damned.

Theres also Space Marines (Loyal and Chaos), Witchhunters, Daemonhunters, even Necrons.

I currently use the WH Codex, with emphasis on Skitarii (Stormtroopers) troops. Tech Guard for the Imp Guard units attached to the force. The Retinue list works well but there are some short-falls. I also use Penitent Engines for Robots and have gone so far as to use the Vehicle desighn rules for larger robots. Overall, I was pleased with the outcome and the whole thing was tourney legal.

I have seen all Skitarii / Tech Guard Force done with the Imp Guard Codex and that was very good as well. Instead of a Tech Lord or Magos he represented a Imp Guard senior commander as Senior Skitarii Commander. It was tourney legal as well. He also added a lot of Forge World stuff which really made it look nice.

Severus6

I have to agree.

For my thoughts I have seen it several ways.

1) Imperial Guard - Skittari pure and simple, though some cool doctrines.

2) WH with lots of arcos, and pentient Engines and Specialized guard

3) home grone list.

I'd say Witchhunter rules with inducted Guard or the other way around.

Inquisitors could be techmagii, stormtroopers are skitarii, IG has techpriests, you can make arcane warmachines and use them as penitent engines. The options are basically only limited to your imagination.

Yep,...that is pretty much exactly what I do. It works well and more importantly I get the "feel" of the force that I want.

Severus6

All of the above. The AM don't have a real list so you can use any list. That allows you to field different types of armies. A bit like a DIY space marine force that can be fielded normal or with traits for specialized companies, and even Deathwing/Ravenwing for really exotic companies.

Use IG for a very mechanized army (with infantry support), marines or chaos for some elite infantry type army, the inquisitor armies for a mixed army with some fancy HQ. Something like that.

You could even try Tau or other armies. Dreadnoughts/Robots for the suits, kroot could be some cc specialsits, and the drones could be flying skulls. Fire warrior as servitors, bonding ritual adds a techpries or something like that. For the tanksyou could use something like new and experimental tanks (based on basic IG tanks).

For eldar you could represent stuff like guide (allows to re-roll missed shots IIRC) as some sort of newand experimental targeting system uplink that is very unstable and needs thetech priests attention (the Ld test).

You have a lotof freedom with all the different lists but you buy that by pushingthe fluff to somehow fit logical into the army list. That can be a funny game on its own.

I am not sure which list to use but looking further than just the imperium based lists could give you a simple solution.

Hello all.

I'm creating an AM army using Lost and the Damned, the main reason is so that I can use the Defilier rules to represent the two Knight Titans I'm making - Walker with Battlecannon and Dreadnough CCW is perfect for it.

I've also decided to use stands of servo skulls as nurglings, and traitors as skitari (Tech Guard). I intend to convert a squad of Ogryns to Pratorians, and use them as Terminators (I've found the Big Mutants just arn't very good in the game).

I'll post pics of the work in progress soon.

Sounds Good, just two comments:

you don't need to buy the Storm Troopers Doctrine to buy Grenadiers (one buys stormtroopers as elites back, the other allows you access to this troop unit remarkably close to stormtroopers.)

I'd also say go with the Iron Disipline (they fight harder when they can see the great leaders/equipment, pluss its better against shooting)

I had been going to do my AM army as part of my 7 sins of Slaanesh.

It would be Sloth. i.e. fear of morale sloth (or the fear of the ability to sin).

So it would be the guy in the chair (Adeptus Mechanicus Lord construct).

Arco Flaggelents (automated troops to avoid sin)

Storm Troopers (Represent "augmented" humans)

Pentient Engines (again augmented troops/non-thinking/can't disobey)

With vehicles and such.

Some allied Marines (adeptus Mechanicus)

I had gotten/saved up and gotten the Skullz set, along with all the different servators/test bed slaves.

It was meant to be the extreme "augmentation"/removal of humanity to save them from sinning.

Part of the seven sins

(EC -Pride, Latd/Traitor IG- Wrath, AM/WH - sloth)

But Brother Tyler, you've left out the most obvious doctrine of all: Cyber-Enhancement! How can you claim to have made an AM list withouth Cyber-Enhancement?

Well, that said, I'll add my thoughts on the subject in general. Overall, I like the LatD rules best, since they're very flexible and can cover the whole range of AM units you might see. However, IG, Marines, and WH could all work.

Imperial Guard as Adeptus Mechanicus:

Doctrines:

-Techpriest Enginseers

-Ogryns

-Grenadiers

-Cyber-Enhancement

-Carapace Armour

Enginseers are obvious. Ogryns would work as your Praetorian servitors. The now-troops Storm Troopers or the carapace-armoured Hardened Veterans would be skitarii (cyber-enhanced, of course). The command platoon would have carapace and cyber-enhancement and would be tech-adepts. The army would be "led" by the 1-2 enginseers, even though they aren't technically HQ. Sentinels would be mechnical constructs of some sort. And you could take some of the tanks if you convert them to look all high-techified.

Space Marines as Adeptus Mechanicus

Traits:

-Scions of Mars

-Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients

-Eye to Eye

-Die Standing or We Stand Alone

(yeah, I ripped these off Brother Tyler. It's a pretty obvious set)

Army's led by a tech marine, who counts as magos/tech priest/etc... Could possibly have librarian as Electro Priest. Scouts would be skitarii. Termies are Praetorians. Dreadnoughts are larger mechnical constructs. Marines could possibly be more heavily armoured skitarii variants, or just not included. Again, tanks would work if heavily converted.

Witch Hunters as Adeptus Mechanicus

Repentia would make excellent electro-priests. Arcos could be e-priests, or they could be some weird servitors. Storm troopers are basic skitarii. Inquisitor lord is Magos/tech lord, etc... Death-cult assassins might be used for something, though I'm less sure about that. Probably want to stay away from battle sisters though, as the faith points just don't fit AM at all. Might induct some guard as tech adepts, and thus get sentinels or Leman Russ.

The Lost and the Damned as Adeptus Mechanicus

If you want to do a mechnicus-type LatD army, check out (US) WD 308, pg 84. Dave Taylor made a fantastic Adeptus Mechanicus army using the LatD rules. Obviously, you'd need to change some things to make it look more Chaotic, but it'd be a good place to get some ideas.

He used:

-Ogres mixed with Ork powerclaws + dreadnought/killa can arms to model big mutants (big combat servitor).

-Bretonian Grail Pilgrims to model traitor guard (tech-guard).

-Servitors to model mutants (servitors).

He also made heavily converted oblits (praetorian servitors), a Leman Russ and Defiler (mechanicus vehicles, and a lord and 3 champions (explorator magos and tech priests).

I think that just about covers it. I hope I've sparked at least one person's imagination. If so, please let us all know what you end up using!

Dang, this new forum has got me jonesin to play AM.

A thought though, how well do you think Codex Eldar could be used to createa good AM list? Was mentioned breifly up there ^, but I want to hear some more opinions.

But Brother Tyler, you've left out the most obvious doctrine of all: Cyber-Enhancement! How can you claim to have made an AM list withouth Cyber-Enhancement?
First, the "Imperial Guard". These will represent the Skitarii/Tech Guard within the force and are based on the following doctrines:

[*]Techpriest Enginseers

[*]Storm Trooper squads (I assume I

I would be really tempted to use the WH rules as there are more things to tinker with. The IG doctrines are nice but I think the WH allows for more options. You could go with WH and IG but that means no doctrines.

Now if only I was any good at converting :lol:

I would be really tempted to use the WH rules as there are more things to tinker with. The IG doctrines are nice but I think the WH allows for more options. You could go with WH and IG but that means no doctrines.

Now if only I was any good at converting :lol:

You could go with Brother Tyler's approach and simply run 2 detachments together: 1 WH and the other IG (complete with doctrines). It would only work in 2k or more, and I'm not sure about tournaments, but other than that there's no problem.

Also keep in mind that sometimes a Space Marine is just a Space Marine. :)

It is not unusual for some Space Marines to accompany AM detachments. Most notably the Blood Ravens and the Iron Hands.

I use Iron Warriors to represent my fledling force - after all, that way you can have a Vindi should you feel the need.

Or perhaps Alpha Legion with the cultists being low ranking AM cannon-fodder. If you survive then you're obviously favoured by the Omnissiah! :(

But I think actually DH or WH is probably the best fit. WH for preference.

I use Iron Warriors to represent my fledling force - after all, that way you can have a Vindi should you feel the need.

Or perhaps Alpha Legion with the cultists being low ranking AM cannon-fodder. If you survive then you're obviously favoured by the Omnissiah! :(

But I think actually DH or WH is probably the best fit. WH for preference.

Never thought of Iron Warriors. Interesting. Certainly, you can give servo-arms to lords, essentially making them tech-priests. Oblits are good praetorians. And a vindicator and several dreadnoughts might be cool as a mechanical-oriented force. Not sure about the marines though. They seem a bit too tough for skitarii. Have to work on that.

WH certainly works well, but I'm not sure about DH. They're a lot more elitist, and that's not how I picture skitarii legions.

Interesting that I screwed that up. It would be the Stormtroopers doctrine, which is unnecessary. If it is necessary, it would be the Diehards/Iron Discipline slot which is currently undecided. Maybe that is why I couldn't decide - I didn't decide because I already had 5 in mind. Or maybe I just goofed. :)

I myself am going the way of the IG together with doctrines...most likely those also used by vostroyans but i might put together a list myself

If i do the last i will most likely go for the ogryn doctrine and convert ogryns to constructs or create them from scratch and also go for a doctrine which will let me use stormtroopers.

So:

Carpace armour

Ogryns

grenadiers

techpriest enginseers

cyber enhancements

I might drop one of these for die hards , dont know for sure yet though

anyhow i'll be starting conversions tommorow on a bunch of skitarii and will post a step by step on how i do them.

CJ

Archived