WIP Pics

Domani

right so heres the deal.... I totally SUCK at painting. I want some one to tell me would the guy thats nearly complete be at the very least a POOR table top quality. I'm more into the battle n' tactics side of the game.

My Attempts

Lissen mate, for a first time, those are actually pretty good. You got the shoulder pads nicely, the color is very good. You shouldn't rag on yourself like that, as long as you are happy, that's good. If not, then practice. It's the circle of life for a miniatures gamers.

I'm totally with Caliban on this one. I'm gonna say, oh theyr great for a beginner or nuffin, but they are a good solid start. Adding to your knowledge and time just playing around with the paints could easily raise you to a decent painter.

I'd go along with what's been said so far. You don't suck as a painter, you've just not put much effort in to painting them yet. There's a big difference.

What you've done is neat, and your colours are solid, you've just not tried anything more complicated than a single layer of colour yet. Check out what's gone before in this forum, and ask SW players how they got their minis to look like they did. I've never had a negative reply when I've asked for guidance from anyone on here.

And if you still need inspiration, here's Boltman's tutorial on what you can achieve if you put your mind to it.. :rolleyes:

You don’t suck. You simply have not spent too long on them. If you have the knowledge then you can paint ‘better’, layers, highlights etc… and the knowledge on how to do this allows you to execute these techniques, in turn these techniques can be practiced then you will have the power.

Knowledge and practice. Start by reading painting guides in general and learn principles, develop patience and discipline. Extinguish frustration and practice. You will be there.

got it in one!

you have the basics sorted and have got further than a lot of people I have seen simply by applying paint! its pretty easy to start improving, all it takes is a little research and practice into simple techniques, try drybrushing and mixing a few paints, or perhaps give a wash of brown ink over the face to make the features stand out. your marines are far better than my first marines !

Jazzman that font burns my eyes :rolleyes:

They don't look bad and are much better than bare plastic. I think your first step would be to take a bit more time on them. You've got a few mold lines so spending some time cleaning them up would be a great start.

I used to be pretty rubbish but I think I do a decent job now (Nothing compared to the other mods but not too shabby I think). Take it step by step. Clean the models first. Then work on getting nice thin coats then try a few highlights.

Good painting takes time.

I don't mean it takes time before you can paint well. I mean you have to spend time on a project for it to be good.

You need to know what your doing.

I don't mean that you need 'skills'. I mean that you need a gameplan before you start painting. Read about a painting technique and then attempt to put it into application. Find a BIG picture of a model you really like, and then inspect the details, and come up with a theroy of how they did the details, and then attempt to replicate it.

Don't 'learn to paint'.

Nobody ever learned 'how to paint'. They learned many seperate techniques. They started with basic techniques, like how to thin paints and how to drybrush. They learned how to use inks, highlight, use proper colors, blending, use of retarders, non-metallic metal, etc. Any given technique isn't that hard or complicated and you don't have to learn them all at once.

One thing I've really learned is that if you're gonna get good at painting within a reasonable amount of time is that you have to be determined and carefully plan when and where you're gonna learn which techniques.

It took me years to realize this (The discovery of gaming boards contributed hugely). This has made me improve my painting more than I had ever done before, using a fraction of the time.

Proof of this you can see in the total painting nOObs. The one's who don't cut class paint dramatically better then those who does. Even though none of them have ever picked up a brush before.

I agree with most points raised, about it takes a little time and a little patience to get a nice mini, but preparation is key to it too, for one you need to clean all the mold lines away, before undercoating, and then stay away from undercoating in black, it just gives a darkness to the top coat, I prefer to use grey as an undercoat, and in the case of SW, it would make your job a lot easier, as then you could go straight to the shading, by using a little very thinned black to wash into the joints, and armour gaps.

Then you can go over the raised parts with grey again, leaving you with the armour lines visible in the black.

Faces are dead easy if you start, with the grey undercoat, use thin some Bestial Brown down, quite thin, and wasit over the grey and it gives you an almost ready skintone, you can then touch up any highlights you need with dwarf and elf flesh, and then rewash with the thinned Bestial Brown.

If you just want a table top quality force, then you can just get away with the first wash.

All in all, you already have a head start on most people new to painting, as you have manged to get the paint on the mini fairly clean and tidily, which is a bonus, you may want to thin your paints a little so not to lose any details, but what a great start already. :lol:

You dont seem to paint "inside out", meaning that you start with the lowest, deepest colours and places... with Spacewolves there are not a lot of deep colours, but there are some difficult places.

maybe start with the face, move down to the chest, then pads and arms, after that down to the ground. this makes the face painting easier (works for me at least), and you can easily repaint mistakes.

God has nothing to do with it btw... it's just practice practice practice, rinse and repeat.

Good luck !

Archived