magnets

it depends partly on the parts you are magnetising and whether you are talking plastic or metals

i've used 1mm (i think - cant acutally remember their size but they are very small) magnets on my assault terminators arms and they hold fine though you may find them to hold a little 'lose' ie prone to moving with the weight of the arm if you use just the one. this size are good for heads and small details like seals, grenades and badges etc.

i think the other magnets i have are either 3mm or 4mm and they fit nicely into shoulders for arms etc and are strong enough to hold them in the place you put them without moving again. these work reasonable well with metal models as well though you may want to get deeper/longer ones to hold heavier arms

i use discs - they're about 1mm deep so a couple of quick turns with a pin vice is usually enough depth to sink the magnet into the model.

i've found that greating a slightly deeper and wider hole and filing it with some green stuff is one of the best ways to fix a magnet as it cures to lock it in plae but you have a bit more movement if you need to reposition the magnet.

Archived