Building Dynamic Heroes

Assuming for a moment that you're an average hobbyist and that you don't have an expensive Dremel tool to carve up a figure, well-practiced green stuff skills to resculpt a pose cast in metal, etc. how can the average hobbyist go about adding some "life" and a sense of motion to a cast figure that they plan to use as one of their army's heroes?

examples:

Sister Superior

Lucius the Eternal

Both of these are nice models with good "character" (no pun intended), but the sculptors haven't left us much to work with for poseability as most of each model is a single piece. Weapons, etc. can be easily changed, but the figure is still relatively static.

Are there bitz that can be added to these kinds of figures to assist with a sense of motion? Can legs/arms, etc. be gently bent enough here or there to lend an additional hint of "caught in mid-battle" life? I'll be the first to admit that I've been working with plastic so long now that I've lost my modeler's eye for these kinds of things when the figure is cast metal.

Any hints, tips, etc. from others caught with the same dilemna?

Other than, "Choose a different figure/army." I mean. :)

Most of the Space Marine characters these days are based very heavily on plastics. The sculptors are actually doing more of a conversion than a sculpt most of the time. So that's what I suggest in the case of Marines, Lucius. Use random bitz left over from the rest of your army to create your Commanders. Specifically with Lucius it'd be very easy to cut off his head and hands/weapons with a hobby saw, no fancy Dremel needed. Then just use a little patience with a file to smooth out the edges and glue them on like any other metal bit. Whether you build on top of plastics or reposition the metal, you're not really going to get far without cutting it up.

Archived