help with color scheme (White Crusader)

i play a DIY chapter called the White Crusaders and i'm having trouble painting the cracks in the armor and i've only been playing for about a year so its natural i wouldn't have much experiece but, can anyone help me :angry: any help would be welcome. ( oh and before i forget the color scheme is white main (duh) black shoulder pads, and gold trim)

do u mean shading the cracks? if thats what u mean then depends how u start your white, brown or grey basecoat, for brown try kommando khaki or graveyard, i dunno since i use grey for basecoats on my sisters but for the shading on them I use 1:1 codex and fortress grey mix

or u could try doing a really thinned black ink wash in the recesses

hope this helped

~EzEkiEl

do u mean shading the cracks? if thats what u mean then depends how u start your white, brown or grey basecoat, for brown try kommando khaki or graveyard, i dunno since i use grey for basecoats on my sisters but for the shading on them I use 1:1 codex and fortress grey mix

or u could try doing a really thinned black ink wash in the recesses

hope this helped

~EzEkiEl

thank you for your help but what i ment was painting the cracks black.

oh and thanks for that advice i'll be shure to use it for highlighting the cracks :angry:

I would personally start with the greys and work it up to white to get a good coverage white coverage (codex -> fortress -> white).

By doing it this way you can try and 'black' line it up to give your mini some time. This method works well if you have a black undercoat. Since i assume you have a white undercoat, you could just do a fortress coat and then 'grey line' the armor with the white.

If you're lazy like me, you don't want to spend time blending (even though it looks amazing). I use a special pen called a Pigma Micron .005 (that's the size), and that has a small enough tip to get inbetween armour cracks. This can help you do something called "Extreme Highlights", which is a cool term that lets lazy people make themselves sound skilled, and is essentially not shading and calling it style.

I would suggest you use a white primer as a basecoat. Then you can use Codex Grey for the lines betweenthe armour plates. Thin it with water, and a little bit of dish washing liquid (and if you use acrylic paint thinner). The dish washing liquid should not make bubbles in the water. That would an indicator that the water is over saturated with the liquid and you don't need that to break the surface tension. Just a little drop to the container where you have the water for thinning paints.

You should apply the blacklining after the primer is dry. That way you can correct anything (and there is always something to do) when you are finished with this messy work. Have your thinned paint ready, draw your brush through it as if you are drawing a line in the paint. Wow "draw a line" with the loaded brush on some tissue or whatever you use to clean your brush, but do that lightly and just with the tip. And twirl it a bit or just use the side of the brush. That depends on the size of thebrush and on what works for you. This should remove excess paint fromthe brush but not all the paint, and it should give your brush a nice tip (and it doesn't work that good with GW brushes because of the high water ration in the paint). Then use this and draw alon the lines that should be darker. Your brush should settle in the line. Water should "splash" on the plates around the line. But there should be nearly no paint on these because you have thinned everything.

Now you can remove excess paint with a different brush or some little sponge or tissue or anything that works. You could cut up little spongy bits so they are easy to use on the little area and can soak up the stuff aroound the line. Only try to remove that paint shotly after you have pained the line. If you wait longer then someof the paint will have started to dry and you will break the little bit of dried paint and it's will result in a mess. The other variation is to just paint all the lines and then go back with white (thinned) and paint next to the lines to remove any little dark stains (and there will be a lot). Just try to find a routine that works for you. You will get better and it will get easier and faster over time.

And why Codex Grey and not Chaos Black: Because Chaos black would be too dark. Of course if you want the darkness for some reason the use it. But the grey will look better/mor realistic and should be visible on the table top.

And from then on you can start with washes of really thin paint (at last 10:1 water/paint ratio) and slowly build up the darkness if the white. I use Fortress Grey and later Code Grey for the really dark areas. You can add some thin layers of other washes to give it more lofe and not that sterile look. Any colour will work. Just coordinate it with the rest of your colour scheme. The final thing to do would beto take normal thinned white and repaint the brightest highlights again.

Archived