Backpacks and cloaks

First off, please forgive the rambling that is about to oocur. :ph34r: Here goes:

How are backpacks attached to the SM's armor? Is it an integral part of the suit, or is it a mechanically attached item?

The reason I ask, is that I'm wanting to give a few of my CSM's cloaks but I'm torn on what looks more 'realistic'. If I glue on the cloak, then the backpack, it sort of stands to reason that the marine would have had to cut a hole in the cloak for it to work, but why would you cut holes in an otherwise perfectly serviceable piece of clothing? Glueing on the backpack first means attaching the cloak over it in a really strange fashion, and covering up the exhaust ports, which I'd imagine is probably a bad thing.

So what do you all think? Over? Under? Or am I just putting way to much thought into this?

Well no worries about rambling. Now you will find this interesting. I just checked my wardrobe and a quick scan of my shirts shows a minimum of 4 holes cut in otherwise perfectly serviceable clothing. All of my pants have 3. :ph34r: So it stands to reason that Marines might go ahead and make a hole in their cloaks that are specifically designed to be worn *with* their power armor. Sure, their dressed down robes for around the Keep and Battle Barges probably only have the standard 4 holes.

It could look cool to go all the way and sculpt more "over everything" robes, but they'll be fine and cool if they're made to fit under a Power Pack!

well... most of the artwork that springs to my mind has the cloak over the pack (e.g. bloodquest imagery) or over just one shoulder, i cant think of any recent art showing a marine with the 'cape' seen on the plastic captain and other models.... hmmm well when i did my scout and marine wearing a cloak i did it over, it does look a little odd as the backpacks are higher than those in the art (would be even harder considering the silly chaos packs)

Captain box set is a relatively new set. Certainly more relevant than BloodQuest. Those guys did look cool though. Just a lot more work if one's reasoning is the mechanics of why they'd have an extra hole.

Most, if not all, of the current line of PA models[disregarding scouts], have capes, robes and tabards sculpted under the backpack.

The 'overcloak' concept is quite intriguing, and has some great applications ie stealthy chapters, Fallen Dark Angels, Ceremonial Cloaks for officers, CSM sorceror lords...

the old DA minis got the robe under their backpack, but that is on the otehr hand a robe to cover the armour and not a cloak ...

but I guess that having a cloak under the backpack would be better as it wouldn

Most, if not all, of the current line of PA models[disregarding scouts], have capes, robes and tabards sculpted under the backpack.

The 'overcloak' concept is quite intriguing, and has some great applications ie stealthy chapters, Fallen Dark Angels, Ceremonial Cloaks for officers, CSM sorceror lords...

I noticed this morning that the Demonhunter Inquisitor with the hammer has a cloak over his back pack. Or atleast I am assuming that the big lump on his back is supposed to be a backpack.

Thanks for the responses, but no-ones actually touched on the first question. How do they attach to the armor? If space marines were real had would they put the backpack on? Some sort of mechanical clamps, or what?

On a side note, I may try some sculpting on some old models (my gs skills aren't so good :ph34r: ) ,and see what's what.

Cloth is the worst thing ever to sculpt. I can make just about anything out of Greenstuff. For cloth I cut up cloaks and Standards from plastic kits, file them to shape and GS the joins. It's just too much work to get cloth to really look right from scratch. Emperor bless those that can do it.

As for the practicality of the connection... it could be anything. Ropes, chains, magnets, pop-locks into the armor or backpack. Model them or don't. Think of how how small a hook and loop would be once it's reduced down to 28mm scale.

:ot: A bit off topic here, but when I make 'cloth' banners, I cut up an old t-shirt, soak it in a 50/50 mix of water/white glue plus a little bit of paint to 'dye' it and go from there. It looks pretty good, IMO. If I can over afford a digital camera, I'll post a few examples.

I was thinking of doing a Captain with his cloak over his backpack and holes cut in it for the exhaust . . . But the more I think about it, I can't imagine it making him look like anything else but a hunchback. Perhaps they use cloaks that are split down to under where the backpack joins the armour . . . hmmm . . . Could look cool. -wanders off to think about another conversion he'll never do-

A red shirt once told me that Sm equipment is designed to attach to their armor with magnets. So, thats their holsters, pouches, grenades, it only serves to reason that their cloaks would attach using the same arcane methods. Hope this helps, let us know what you decide to use. :)

Mechanically attached. In Dawn of War, the leader guy from the intro video had his backpack nailed in one instant, and it was gone the next. I would imagine it was critically damaged and his suit simply dropped it to save him. It also makes sense, so the armour could be laid down easier and it would certainly make repairs faster if you could simply replace the damaged peice with something else for awhile. Anyways, just an opinion, but all of the fluff and stories I've read seem to agree.

In Dawn of War, the CGI team didn't know what they were doing. GW either didn't care to pay for the correction or were so *wowed* by the overall video they let it slide. Marines can't run without their backpacks (extra ironic because I'm making a Marine without a backpack now)

to -Q-: well look at the science of the space marine anatomy these guy are friggin strong what with the muscle enhancements. and a space marine's armour is made of cerimite "plasteel" interlocking plates. Plasteel would feesably be a metal with the strength of cerimite steel, and the wieght of something like plastic (due to maybe some sort of futuristic forgeing technique). The backpack is most likely used to power any kind of targeting, or life support systems the marine needs in the field. So the armour at the most wieghs close to 150 - 200 lbs. heavy for a human yes, but not a space marine. And besides in the DOW vid. he was also motivated by adrenaline, which has been scientifically proven to push a human's body to feats of greater muscular ability.

........crap that was really off topic..... :blink:

well back on topic. the magnet thing really doesn't seem likely to me. So im thinkin its bolted or clasped to the armour with some kind of ornate decoration. Or maybe it is just worn like a human would wear it, attached with nothing more than a simple broch, or something.

and to answer your other question, the marine would probubly wear the cloak under the pack considering the backpack "powerplant" most likely generates a fair bit of heat, so a cloak over that, holes cut or not, would not be smart

"BY THE EMPEROR, CPT. MARCUS HAS BEEN ATTACKED WITH A FLAMER!!!"

"No his cape just caught fire."

;)

for Dorn

FM

and to answer your other question, the marine would probubly wear the cloak under the pack considering the backpack "powerplant" most likely generates a fair bit of heat, so a cloak over that, holes cut or not, would not be smart

"BY THE EMPEROR, CPT. MARCUS HAS BEEN ATTACKED WITH A FLAMER!!!"

"No his cape just caught fire."

:blink:

I think their cames is both flameproof as well as to a degree, bullet proof ...

I would say a space marine would never wear anything just for show ... not their style ...

their armour may be 'bling bling' sometimes but they are a real armour and not a fancy parade thingy the old knights used to have when to look fancy ...

and I would say that the cloaks would be put on some sort of 'hinge' (in lack of my english language) so it can be removed ...

and as I said before ... probably under the backpack, having a cloak flying around your face would get any marine killed rather soon ...

something some of teh old knights did was that their cloaks and tabards etc. vere attached to their feet as well when they were walking ... so when the wind caught it it didn

never wear anything just for show?

so thats banners, extra symbols, heraldry (in DA only members of the deathwing are allowed to have personal heraldry - from angels of vengence, suggests that this is for 'show')

i think the imperial armour books have some good info on how the power armour is meant to work, it certainly is meant to augment their strength (which the rules dont really show that well). the black library books also contain little bits here and there. from my memory though all i can remember is that the back pack is an all in one solution, it includes a power plant as well as supplies, recycling plant and other things so that the marine can fight anywhere for long periods without needing to stop.

Erm yeah sorry aretziel but way off base on that theory! :( Maybe in some long lost 1st edition? but these days the Marines are all about the useless bling! http://www.invasiongames.com/graphics/bling_smile.gif

Erm yeah sorry aretziel but way off base on that theory! :wink: Maybe in some long lost 1st edition? but these days the Marines are all about the useless bling! http://www.invasiongames.com/graphics/bling_smile.gif

*sigh* well, maybe so ...

I still live in the world of usefull things ... at least my marines live by that =)

no roman looking *groin* tapestry as the ultramarines fancy :o

Q EDIT: switched @#$% to groin

Archived