Discussion - parts for crusade/HH era marines

Azazal

I admit it, I'm jumping on the bandwagon and making up a small crusade era force or Luna Wolves. Most of the parts are pretty easy to get, I plan on using a mix of BT MK 4 torsos, base marine MK 5 torsos, BT knightly helms, 'Zeker knight helms with the ear removed, hornless chaos champion helms with the chaos marine sprue. As such the upper bodies are fine, but what to do about the legs? I would like to modify them to look more like the older styles of armor and had a few ideas I wanted run by folks before trying them.

1. Use chaos legs and shave off the banding, not the most orginal, and would they really look that different?

2. Shave the knee pads off and replace them with green stuff hex shaped pads, kind of MK 4 style, but not quite.

3. Use thin strips of plastic and make loops around the thighs and shins to give the apperance of MK 2 - difficult, but might look the best, bulks the marine up a bit and looks "old school"

4. Do the strips as above, then place some plates on the front of the legs to make MK 3 armor.

5. Forget about moding the legs, instead sculpt in faulds and tuilles (thigh plates) leave the rest fo the legs alone

6. Forget about moding the legs completly.

If you have tried any of the above, what worked best fro you and do you have any pointers?

Thanks

using chaos legs can work well as they look pretty ornate, however i found them not looking all that differet, of course if you have a large number of them id use em, adding the thight plates looks good, ive done it with GS but they were a little small (like the loken model someone did on here not long ago) another way to do those is the termi crotch guards, this looks very nice i must admit.

for mine i opted in the end not to model the legs (other than posing them) at all, i simply used the legs without knees, as most chaos legs seem to be that way anyway.

in the end id just go with whatever looks good to you

2. Shave the knee pads off and replace them with green stuff hex shaped pads, kind of MK 4 style, but not quite.

this is what I usually do to create a MK4... looks pretty good in my opinion..

here is a WIP marine:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/Tagsta/Warhammer40k/captain%20castus/WIP6.jpg

Hey,

a WIP marine

Nice. But, GS conversions seem a little labor-intensive for my taste.

Also, I'm afraid I'm going to have to report you to the Brush Police . . .

I'd recommend plastic Berzerkers for pre-heresy conversion bits.

These plus plastic Bloodclaw/ Grey Hunter sets make nice Luna Troops.

A few lead Classic figs are good for Champs/ HQs/ Elites.

Good luck, and have fun!

Playa

Archived