Black Templar Chest Eagles & Highlighting

Hi All,

I just started a BT army and am trying to figure out how to do the chest eagles and highlighting.

Do you paint the eagles bone or silver? What is your preference and why?

Also, with the highlighting, there is an excellent gallery somewhere on the net (paintingclinic.com? I forget) with a how-to where the artist uses the blue-gray (space wolves gray? Again, I forget) instead of the white-gray and it looks great.

Anyone tried that?

Thanks heaps for your thoughts.

Oh, a few rather poor examples of my old army are on coolminiornot.com under the name EMB. I'd love to read all of your advice and critique. Please be merciful - I'm no professional. ^_^

I play ultras 5th co, so they have black shoulderpad trim and I find that silver always works nicely drybrushed over some black. On the other hand, bone would give a unique look to your templars although personally, I find bone and parchment slightly harder to paint than anything else.

I used to paint it 'bone' ... as good as I could =) hehe ...

but now I use a bone scheme for my templars so I make the eagle white with grey and black ...

I like the bone on the regular black templars ...

I think the with the silver it become to much silver ... silver on the chest, silver on the bolter and silver on small details ... =/

some make them gold ... and that can be nice ... maybe use bone on regulars and gold on commanders?

When I first started, I used the traditional white chest eagle scheme. But then in a White Dwarf, I think(might have just been the internet somewhere), they offered an alternative brown chest eagle. So I did that for a while, and I liked the way it looked. Than I stopped caring about it for at least a year, and when I recently came back to the hobby, I began using a bone scheme. I like the bone scheme. It looks good, and it isn't too bad to paint.

Hi Embuchho,

Personally I feel templar are loaded with shades of greys and silvers so I stayed away from that colour range with my eagles.

Here's what I did; all 'troops' got a white/blue chest eagle. This is done by basing the eagle in Shadow Grey, then painting all but the deepest recesses of the eagle in white. Let it dry, do a very light Blue Ink wash, then finish by doing some Skull White highlighting of the chest eagle:

Example of a troop:

http://prot.homestead.com/files/Templar/BT_Sarge2.jpg

All HQ are special to me. Their armour is absolutely ancient, and therefore I went with brown/bone/white chest eagles. A very similar process to the one above, but instead I work up in colour to bone/white, as opposed to blue/white.

Example of HQ:

http://prot.homestead.com/files/Templar/Marius_and_clowns.jpg

I hope this helps you decide, or at least gives you the 'visuals' you need to decide.

Some may write this off as a silly question but in truth I find when doing a primarily dark army, little things like this make a world of difference.

Just my two frags. Good luck.

Prot, that's beautiful work!

When you paint straps do you highlight the edges or darken the middle (figuring this out is something that vexes me a lot)?

And do you drybrush those chest eagles or paint them with a fine-point brush?

I'm really impressed by your work. It is wonderful to have someone of your ability to whom to pose questions. I'm probably going to bother you a lot... :P

Archived