Question about magnets

HI

I mainly use 1x3mm magnets for my models (searchlights, HKM, etc.), although I have just bought some 1x2mm to try out on marines, etc.
Having many of both of those sizes - I would say they are too small - to make them work you would possibly need to stack up many to increase the magnetic force

Simple rule... Use the biggest one you can fit in any situation.

A thin but large magnet in width wont be powerful - it has a poor magnetic force -

A strong magnet is both wide and a nice depth size

I dont know what the size of the arms is - and if there is a socket - so you might be able to use a 6 mm by 1.5 ( even better being 2 mm ) mm magnet - stacking some on top of each other would make them alot stronger

Remember you have to drill holes - im not sure but resin is brittle - so drilling large holes might make cracks in it ?

Also if you have too strong a magnetic force it might be tricky to separate parts

good luck

thanks,

L

( p.s. do you know where your going to get your magnets from - if not i know a British place that send cheaply internationally and allow you to buy any quantity really - so you dont have to buy in 100's etc. )

THe biggest issue with magnetising dead arms is friction.. or lack there of, you may have to run a floating pin (only glued on one end) to stop the arms from rotating on the magnet.

-Legacy40k

I did find an awesomely interesting way to mount the maggies using ball maggies instead of the disks.

Make a depression for the maggies using a drill... and then mount them in about 1/3 of the way in. Use a washer on the arms. The washer has to have its inner hole slight smaller than the maggie so it can lock on and swivel somewhat. Having quite a bit of surface area in contact with the maggie prevents much swivelling. I think it's just cute.

http://www.scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Vendread/IMG_4349.jpg

http://www.scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Vendread/IMG_4351.jpg

http://www.scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Vendread/IMG_4354.jpg

I used the S4B for this purpose...:) Maggie

• 2 years later...

I'm dragging this up from the depths of hell to answer my own question so that it might help anyone else looking to magnetize their FW dreads. :)

I finally went with circular 3x1mm neodymium magnets, you can see the results in: this thread

I ended up going with K&J Magnetics' D41s. They look abotu the same size as yours, Nihm. I spent a lot of time doing math, and trading emails with the customer service people over at K&J, and settled on these so I could magnetize pewter arms, as well as plastic and resin. Here's to hoping they work (though they seem like they will).

i am interested in this as well. trying to do it with land speeders though.

I've done a test-fit with K&J Magnetics' D21s, and they seem to work just fine for plastic parts like Landspeeder rocket pods and guns.

Archived