My First Marine ... suggestions wanted :)

Dunedon

Well here is cut #1 of my Terminators ... I figure I'll use this whole box to get the colours and techniques identified that I'll need to do the entire army.

Sorry for the photo's, I just got a new camera so I'm working on figuring out the lighting and settings needed. The mini's are supposed to be coloured with Tin Bitz for the main body, and Dark Angels Green on the shoulder pads, knees and helmet.

I didn't do any highlighting, drybrushing or washes on this mini yet ... I figured I'd get some feedback on where to go next.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give - Dunedon

Front

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/dunedon/40K/Dark%20Angels/1_Front.jpg

Edit: I removed the rest of the pics from my upload site - Dunedon

in my opinion i think youve used too many colours, you have blue red and green which is a difficult combination to execute unless its just on details, and then you also have black and beige as well

this means your eye is busy trying to figure out what to look at, i know its not a display mini, but a nicely executed colour scheme done average for an army looks far better than an overburdened scheme painted very well

other than that, try out some simple stuff like blacklining and highlight edges, leave black or a dark colour in the recesses(example brown for red, or grey for white) and then grab a colour mix it a bit brighter highlight a thicker line over most edges, then grab a brighter colour(noticeably) and highlight only the very edges of only some parts, then take an ink or watered down shade of that colour and wash over the highlights, this should help blend them together a bit and it will darken them a bit as well

next to that thin your paints, and if you have to do 70731203 layers to make the paint cover evenly then do it, its worth it

dont be afraid of trying new things and failing, as you will fail at some things, and if you never try the more advanced stuff you will never improve

Starks

next to that thin your paints, and if you have to do 70731203 layers to make the paint cover evenly then do it, its worth it

dont be afraid of trying new things and failing, as you will fail at some things, and if you never try the more advanced stuff you will never improve

Starks

Best i've heard it put in quite some time.

Thinning your paints is your number 1 priority in my opinion right now, get that down and you'll learn the rest of the techniques much quicker(simply because your results will be much better the first go than if you didn't know how). I see thinning as the basis of 40k painting, just because it's such a required skill.

About what Starks said on trying new things. He couldn't be more right. If you're interested(and it'll make you feel better without a doubt if you don't think your work is good). I'll post my first minis, so you can see how horrible I was just seven months ago. ^_^ What I did to correct this was simply took about five or six models and painted different parts of them different colors and tested four or five techniques on one mini. If I filled it up, I stripped it and primed it and did it again. Think of this as speed trainning, you aren't trying to finish a mini, just get better results.

Did you prime the model? I can't tell. Judging from the fact that you know about all sorts of fancy techniques like highlighting and washing, I'm assuming you did. If you didn't then do though.

Other than that, and basically what has already been mentioned, looks good. I will second that statement about the colorscheme though. (I'm looking espescially at the bolter). ^_^

I don't have a problem with red bolters (my Sunhawks have them) but they need to go with the color scheme. In my opinion it doesn't work here. It looks like a base of brown and green with gold trim which is a good combination. The black and gray suggestions were fine. Use gold details to tie it into the rest of the scheme.

I think I know why the blue on the fingers of the power fist is used although I disagree with why it's there. I know that some people treat power fists like power weapons and paint the effective surfaces in a color to indicate a power field. While I do that with power weapons, I don't for power fists and I think it looks a whole lot better. I think you'd be better off dumping the blue and going with something from your existing palatte. I'd suggest brown fingers. If you are looking for something in a different color to make the fingers stand out, green would do well but I think your best choice would be the gold.

Other than the scheme I have to agree with thinning down the paint. It took me longer than it should have to get that concept though my head. You'll like the results when you get on that train.

For a first mini, you are off to a good start.

I personally suggest that at the time, try to work on getting more paint control than focusing on additional techniques like highlighting, blackling etc. As stated earlier, the paint does look think in a few areas, so trying to get used to using thinner layers (always mix your paint with some water at the minimum). That way you'll get a more solid finish to the mini without the paint looking overly thick.

Also dont be afraid to take a few extra steps. Things like bone and red areas work well with intermediate coats of brown to work your way up work very well.

Once you feel happy with those, then you can look at highlights, blackling and over time you'll feel alot more comfortable with painting :)

Well, thats how it worked for me anyway ;).

I wish you the best of luck as you progress with your skills.

Also bumpin' this baby to the HoH ;)

Your technique seems to be good, but the paintscheme is far to busy. I would try to pick a base of two colours (either opposite or complimentary) for you models, then paint in the details in a range of complimentary colours to the original two. the paint does look a little thick though, so i would reccomend thinning it down (some tutorials on this can be found on search) just water is good to begin with though. Also, attempt techniques such as highlighting, inking and drybrushing on every model you paint where it would be appropriate, this is the fastest way to improve...

dont let me discourage you though,

you'r off to a good start

Shinobi_Soldier

Archived