3 WIP Sons of Vulkan

Looks like you are off to a good start Capt Artimum.

I like how the minis have a 'dirty' look to them, helps really give them a strong themed look to them.

The only thing i feel a lil iffy on are some of the highlights. Although they do look good, the ones on the far right marine, particularly on his army feel a just a bit too big. However in the same way, the extra thickness also helps to really give an idea of the light hitting and reflecting against the armor, so i guess it can go in either way really :D.

That aside, very nice work and keep up the great work :P

...on the shoulderpad of the leftmost marine...

I was also wondering if these were your first paintjobs. The highlights seems a little haphazard. I think going up to orange on dark red is a little to much. Maybe stick to blood red as your final highlight. Concentrate on keeping the highlights on the edges of the armor plates. and make the highlights less pronounced.

Looks like you had some pooling of your wash on the model. I am of the Future Floor Finish cult in association with the white primer cult. 2 drops of chestnut to 7 drops of future floor finish/water should be sufficient to get the effect you desire. Also try blacklining the armor splits.

A tad shiny as well. Maybe hit them with either Dulcote or Krylon's Clear Matte.

I must disagree with AlteriusMotive and Commander Sha'son, they don't look like anyone's first Marines! After all, you've got highlights and a nice overall feel on these guys! Well, I suppose some people hasn't seen anyones first models in a while... :o

The harsch highlights adds another kind of feel to the models, more of a comic (no, not comical, comic as in "comic books") feel to them, and I bet an army of them would look really great on the tabletop!

Cheers; Moribund!

Archived