Alpharius - Primarch of the Alpha Legion

insaniak

A commission job that was a lot of fun... My first Primarch.

http://www.underthecouch.net/images/couch/comm/alpharius/alpharius.jpg

The model is intended to represent the Alpha Legion's Primarch Alpharius, before the Horus Heresy. Primarchs being rather large chappies, I built a set of suitably-statured power armour from a sliced-up Terminator and a little putty.

A quick note on the green stuff filling on the legs and belly... while it looks a little rough, this is a result of sanding it down smooth... the green stuff goes a little streaky, but is much smoother than it looks.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome.

The cape isn't my bag, but the rest of it looks very good. Nice job!

Yeah I thought this too, it looks a little too static, maybe it shopuld be a little more animated as the model is running. Other than that it's good.

I

some larger piccies would help perferably in link form so people wont die from waiting for them to load! heh... anyhow, I dunno, I dun like the cape but because its comming off the exhaust vents of the backpack... that would leave the cape with a pretty bad smell..

I like the detail work on it and I like the size, its a well executed mini but without larger piccie I cant really say 100%!

oh....my...god...That must be the first model (or picture for that matter) of Alpharius I didnt find hideous! As a matter of fact he looks quite cool! Very good job there! Personally I imagined Alpharius with long hair, but this will definately do too!

The pistol was indeed made by slicing the front of one, and attaching a second pistol the the front.

The cape... it doesn't show well in these pics, but it does have a certain amount of 'swish' to the back left, with his movement. But it's intended to be fairly heavy (Hydra's have thick skin :D ) so doesn't flap about as much as a regular cloth cape.

And he doesn't have spiky bits, as he's supposed to be pre-Heresy. :rolleyes:

I don't think Big Al ever killed a hydra... I think that was their chapter symbol because no matter how many heads get cut off, it lives on... very much thier fighting style...
I didn't say he killed one... I have leather shoes, but have never killed a cow...

I just used a scaled cape because it seemed more in keeping with the Hydra theme.

Ok, but what about the chest? Why does it look so small?

No idea, since it's a Terminator Torso. Probably just because of the slightly stretched (by GW standards) proportions... we're all used to looking at GW's squat little Marines.

I'll be honest, it's a cool model, but it doesn't strike me as Alpharius..

I always imagined him to be more of a Doctor Octavius type. Not neccesarily with the mechanical arms, or doofy hairdo though. I always pictured him more like one of the Necromunda gangers. There was a bald one, with goggles, a sword, and some kind of gun, ordering people around, and he seemed to convey what I'm trying to explain.. I'll try and find a picture of him tomorrow..

I'll be honest, it's a cool model, but it doesn't strike me as Alpharius..

I always imagined him to be more of a Doctor Octavius type. Not neccesarily with the mechanical arms, or doofy hairdo though. I always pictured him more like one of the Necromunda gangers. There was a bald one, with goggles, a sword, and some kind of gun, ordering people around, and he seemed to convey what I'm trying to explain.. I'll try and find a picture of him tomorrow..

Primarchs are magnificent and good-looking beings and should in my opinion not look like some hive scum.

I really like this version of Alpharius, much better than the artwork. The backpack and cape look great and its an interesting idea. The greenstuff work is very good and the proportions are very fitting for a Primarch.

• 2 years later...
oh....my...god...That must be the first model (or picture for that matter) of Alpharius I didnt find hideous! As a matter of fact he looks quite cool! Very good job there! Personally I imagined Alpharius with long hair, but this will definately do too!

Clearly don't read yer fluff do ya?

Alpharius is a baldy.

Archived