What is the Codex Astartes?

Brother Pariah

Once against, gather round, you Lexicania, Codiciers and Epistolaries. Take off those psychic hoods and put on your thinking caps. I have another idea for a grand project which will amuse and edify you, while creating a lasting monument of Space Marines lore. The Grand Unified Codex Astartes Fluff Thread.

We will work together to compile every unique reference to the Codex Astartes from every source available. This top post will be where I will compile everything into relevent categories. Each entry should contain the following:

1. An exact quotation from an official GW source. Put quotes around it so we know what's "canon." Don't post quotations that are substantively the same as one we already have. We don't need 75 entries that say "Guilliman wrote the Codex."

2. Your interpretation of the quotation, if it isn't completely obvious. There may be some discussion of these interpretations, so the final version entered in the top post may not match your original interpretation. I reserve the right to clean up grammar and punctuation, too.

3. Cite your source. This is important. Historical research requires verifiable sources. Any official Warhammer 40,000 material is fair game, even licensed stuff. Some discrepancies will inevitably appear, but that's part of the fun! Be sure to provide a copyright date if the edition could be in doubt and a page number, if applicable. Also, specify which country your White Dwarf is from, if it post-dates the UK/US White Dwarf split (WD 192?).

Anything about the Codex Astartes is of interest. We're interested in all aspects of the Codex: its contents, its history, its application in the field, its contributors (Guilliman didn't write it all, you know!), and what color binding it has.

NOTE: Some early sources referr to the Codex Astartes as the Index Astartes or the Codex Imperialis. If it is clear that they are referring to the same book as our blessed Codex, quotations referring to these works can be used in this thread.

We can use the same color-coding from the Timeline thread to keep track of the different eras of 40K:

1st Edition (October 1987-October 1993)

2nd Edition (October 1993-October 1998)

3rd Edition (October 1998-August 2004)

4th Edition (August 2004-present)

Unknown / Other (Further research required)

What is the Codex Astartes?

General Information about the Codex:

"Of all his works the most influential is the Codex Astartes, the great prescriptive tome that lays down the basic organisational and tactical rules for Space Marines.... The Codex Astartes describes the organisation, tactical operation and countless other aspects of Space Marine doctrine."

(Index Astartes, vol. 1, p. 11-16)

"The Codex Astartes is the holy tome of these loyal Battle Brothers. The wisdom of the ancients is both scripture and the unbending rod by which they are measured. In war they are as fierce and as steadfast as those of old who stood beside the Emperor and broke the Legions of Horus. In faith and valour they are unmatched. The torches of their chapels burn bright with flames whose holy fire has shone upon un unchanging brotherhood for a hundred centuries. In their lives and in war the Codex Astartes is their guide." -- Codex: Ultramarines p.16

"Ten thousand years ago, following the end of the Horus Heresy, the original Space Marine Legions were substantially reorganised to for the Space Marine Chapters we know today. A new code of organisation and operational methods called the Codex Astartes was drawn up by the Adeptus Terra. This sought to define standard organisations and uniform details as well as providing the ultimate reference work on strategy and tatics. (Armies of the Imperium, p. 8)

"Every Imperial officer is familiar with its contents, and its many precepts and ideas form the basis for much lively debate. The book remains fresh and valid ten thousand years after it was written. This is because it is presented as a series of discussions and ideas by the most advanced military thinkers of its day, not as a strict code of practice soon to become out of date. Much of its content is contradictory or inconclusive, representing different aspects of military practice, and this is what makes the volume an eternal source of inspiration to military commanders whatever their personal inclinations." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 25)

Quotations direct from the Codex Astartes:

"'May the armour's shade protect your body.

May the weapon's hue help slay those that doubt.

May the banner's livery proceed before you.

May you illuminate the darkness with the Emperor's light.'

-The Litany of Decoration

taken from the Index Astartes"

(Space Marine Painting Guide, p. 1)

"'My will be done.'

Codex Imperialis page 1."

(Warhammer 40,000 Compendium, p. 129)

"They shall be pure of heart and strong of body, untainted by doubt and unsullied by self aggrandisement. They will be bright stars in the firmament of battle, Angels of Death whose shining wings bring swift annihiliation to the enemies of man. So shall it be for a thousand times a thousand years, unto the very end of eternity and the extinction of mortal flesh.'

Roboute Guilliman

Codex Astartes"

(Codex Ultramarines, p. 4)

"Only the eager martyr hoards a battle."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

"A Space Marine does not wait for the enemy to attack. Make your foe react to your movements instead."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

"In war one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there the enemies' movements are clearly visible and he will struggle to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

"Do not expect every foe to fall at the first blow, be ready to keep striking until they do."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

"War is not your recreation, it's the reason for your existence, prepare for it well."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

"Walls, trenches and towers are no obstacle, lack of imagination and lack of will are obstacles."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

"Honour the craft of death ."

(Oz WD 300, p. 26-31)

Space Marine Organisation:

"According to the Codex Astartes, Space Marines are organised into three different types of squad: Tactical, Assault, and Devastator. Each of these squads has a unique tactical role and the three are designed to operate together to provide mutual support and maximum flexibility. In addition to these three squads the 1st (Veteran) company can be formed into Terminator or Veteran squads and the Scouts are always formed into Scout squads." (Codex: Ultramarines p. 20)

Page 20 then goes on to describe the organisation and battlefield role of each type of squad, however if I posted the whole page we would all get sued. In summary, Tactical, Assault, Devastator, and Veteran squads are ten men strong, while Terminator and Scout squads are five men strong. Tactical and Veteran squads have a sergeant and seven men with boltguns; two may be equipped with boltguns OR one special and one heavy weapon. Assault squads have a sergeant and nine marines, all armed with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon or two bolt pistols. Up to two may carry special weapons instead, and they all may have jump packs. Devastator squads have a sergeant and nine marines, up to four with heavy weapons and the remainder with boltguns. Scout squads have a sergeant and four scouts. The organisation of Terminator squads is not described in depth, and their organisation in the army list section of Codex: Ultramarines is now obsolete although it does mention that squads are five men strong and only one Terminator may be equipped with a heavy weapon. In 2nd Edition, standard and assault Terminators were a single squad, which may have been mixed. In addition, the ten man squads each had a squad leader, a rank akin to a modern-day corporal, who led the second five marines when the squad was divided into battle squads. Where the sergeant is marked with a red skull, the squad leader is marked with a red "iron halo".

Space Marines uniforms:

"The official rules which govern the colour, syle, size and positioning of these identifying marks [on the marines' armour] are known as the Codex Astartes (often abbreviated to codex). The markings described by the Codex Astartes are referred to as 'codex' markings, indicating that they take the official pre-determined form." -Warhammer 40,000 Compilation, p. 29.

How different Chapters relate to the Codex:

"The Dark Angels differ only slightly from the basic Chapter organisation of the Codex Astartes." The book goes on to describe the Ravenwing and Deathwing, and points out that the reserve tactical companies are not deployed as bikes or landspeeders. (Armies of the Imperium, p. 9)

"Like the other Chapters the Space Wolves were reorganised after the Horus Heresy according to the Codex Astartes. However, their Primarch, the famous Leman Russ, was never conventional and the Chapter soon adapted the suit its leader's fierce warrior mentality." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 11)

"Over the millennia most of the Chapters have evolved variations on the details laid down by the Codex Astartes. Some have changed quite radically so that their organisation and operating procdures bear almost no resemblance to the textbook. The Ultramarines however have retained every detail of the Codex Astartes intact and have become famous for their rigid adherance to its ancient orthodoxy." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 8)

Who wrote the Codex?

"Following the dark days of the Horus Heresy, when Space Marines fought fellow Space Marines and the whole Imperium was torn by conflict, the victorious commanders of the Emperor sat down together to draw up a new galactic order.... In particular, and after a great deal of discussion, they produced the great tome of ancient military wisdom known as the Codex Astartes.... Many of the most brilliant minds of the age contributed to the Codex Astartes.... With such brilliant minds as the Space Marine Primarchs Leman Russ and El'jonson offering sagely advice, as well as the practical wisdom of the great Imperial Guard commander General Tybour, the Codex Astartes has always been regarded as an essential part of every you officer's education." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 25)

A new code of organisation and operational methods called the Codex Astartes was drawn up by the Adeptus Terra. (Armies of the Imperium, p. 8)

"With the threat of extinction lifted for the immediate future, Guilliman turned his attention to ensuring that such a catastrophe could never happened again, distilling his formidable wisdom into a mighty tome known as the Codex Astartes." (Codex Space Marines, 2004, p. 7)

--------------------

Thought for the day: May you illuminate the darkness with the Emperor's light.

Edited by Brother Pariah

(Guilliman didn't write it all, you know!), and what color binding it has.

Yes, he did.

Have you got GW's Index Astartes Volume 1 compilation? Pages 11-16 of this answers your question in very clear, very definite words. It also states that Guilliman indeed wrote it all, but that it has evolved from the original Apocrypha Of Skaros. The article in full is far too long to quote here, and it would be a violent breach of GW IP as well, but a few selected quotes should suffice;

"Of all his works the most influential is the Codex Astartes, the great prescriptive tome that lays down the basic organisational and tactical rules for Space Marines."

"The Codex Astartes describes the organisation, tactical operation and countless other aspects of Space Marine doctrine."

I know that because of the "the C.A. has evolved thing" someone is going to debate that Guilliman's words are indeed the C.A. as it is, but remember that these evolved copies belong to other chapters. The Ultramarines still follow the Apocrypha, which consists of Guilliman's words alone. To me, this and only this is the Codex Astartes. Everything else is a blatant attempt at emulating our glory.

Well, there is a ton of quotes from it in the second edition booklets. Including a ton of Quotes from Leman Russ.

Also the fluff changes every edition of the game.

Example, where it says the thing about marines being Angels of death. Of course in the second edition it has the emperor saying it. Also in the Red Compedium from RT days it has the emperor saying it. Now they are the word of Robert. Why? Cause they are too lazy to write new catchy phrases and what not for charctors.

The problem we have is they change fluff, and re-use quotes for other people. They do it all the time. Which is one of the things that frustraits the old timers.

(Guilliman didn't write it all, you know!), and what color binding it has.

Yes, he did.

Have you got GW's Index Astartes Volume 1 compilation? Pages 11-16 of this answers your question in very clear, very definite words. It also states that Guilliman indeed wrote it all, but that it has evolved from the original Apocrypha Of Skaros. The article in full is far too long to quote here, and it would be a violent breach of GW IP as well, but a few selected quotes should suffice;

"Of all his works the most influential is the Codex Astartes, the great prescriptive tome that lays down the basic organisational and tactical rules for Space Marines."

"The Codex Astartes describes the organisation, tactical operation and countless other aspects of Space Marine doctrine."

Of course I have that article (though in the original WD, not the Index Astartes compilation. Of course it would be too much to just copy the whole article into this thread. I'm more interested in the various other sources that have appeared through the years. I'm not much of a "new fluff purist," and am interested in the depth of material available from the last 19 years of 40K fluff.

I know that because of the "the C.A. has evolved thing" someone is going to debate that Guilliman's words are indeed the C.A. as it is, but remember that these evolved copies belong to other chapters. The Ultramarines still follow the Apocrypha, which consists of Guilliman's words alone. To me, this and only this is the Codex Astartes. Everything else is a blatant attempt at emulating our glory.
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I would ask that you back it up with specific quotations. Rest assured that I will do the same when I get home tonight.

Personally, I find the idea of Guilliman cramming his personal vision down the throat of the entire Imperial military establishment to be simplistic in the extreme, and not in keeping with the Primarch's reputation as a master of leadership.

The problem we have is they change fluff, and re-use quotes for other people. They do it all the time. Which is one of the things that frustraits the old timers.

I find myself more amused than frustrated. Having done a bit of preliminary research, I think that using the color-codes is indeed in order. Things have indeed changed over the years, even if not on the scale of the Ultramarines timeline.

My goal here is to gather all of the material together, so we can forstall some of the arguments around here about whether Tyrannic War Veterans are violations of the Codex, whether Ultramar is a violation of the Codex, whether Uriel Ventris is a whiny little crybaby, etc. etc.

I'll start us off with some direct quotations from the Codex Astartes itself:

"'May the armour's shade protect your body.

May the weapon's hue help slay those that doubt.

May the banner's livery proceed before you.

May you illuminate the darkness with the Emperor's light.'

-The Litany of Decoration

taken from the Index Astartes"

(Space Marine Painting Guide, p. 1)

"'My will be done.'

Codex Imperialis page 1."

(Warhammer 40,000 Compendium, p. 129)

"They shall be pure of heart and strong of body, untainted by doubt and unsullied by self aggrandisement. They will be bright stars in the firmament of battle, Angels of Death whose shining wings bring swift annihiliation to the enemies of man. So shall it be for a thousand times a thousand years, unto the very end of eternity and the extinction of mortal flesh.'

Roboute Guilliman

Codex Astartes"

(Codex Ultramarines, p. 4)

Hmmmm... "May you illuminate the darkness with the Emperor's light." That may not be an official Thought for the Day, but it has a nice ring to it. I'll keep it until something better comes along... :)

"The Codex Astartes is the holy tome of these loyal Battle Brothers. The wisdom of the ancients is both scripture and the unbending rod by which they are measured. In war they are as fierce and as steadfast as those of old who stood beside the Emperor and broke the Legions of Horus. In faith and valour they are unmatched. The torches of their chapels burn bright with flames whose holy fire has shone upon un unchanging brotherhood for a hundred centuries. In their lives and in war the Codex Astartes is their guide." -- Codex: Ultramarines p.16

"According to the Codex Astartes, Space Marines are organised into three different types of squad: Tactical, Assault, and Devastator. Each of these squads has a unique tactical role and the three are designed to operate together to provide mutual support and maximum flexibility. In addition to these three squads the 1st (Veteran) company can be formed into Terminator or Veteran squads and the Scouts are always formed into Scout squads." -- Codex: Ultramarines p. 20

Page 20 then goes on to describe the organisation and battlefield role of each type of squad, however if I posted the whole page we would all get sued. In summary, Tactical, Assault, Devastator, and Veteran squads are ten men strong, while Terminator and Scout squads are five men strong. Tactical and Veteran squads have a sergeant and seven men with boltguns; two may be equipped with boltguns OR one special and one heavy weapon. Assault squads have a sergeant and nine marines, all armed with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon or two bolt pistols. Up to two may carry special weapons instead, and they all may have jump packs. Devastator squads have a sergeant and nine marines, up to four with heavy weapons and the remainder with boltguns. Scout squads have a sergeant and four scouts. The organisation of Terminator squads is not described in depth, and their organisation in the army list section of Codex: Ultramarines is now obsolete although it does mention that squads are five men strong and only one Terminator may be equipped with a heavy weapon. In 2nd Edition, standard and assault Terminators were a single squad, which may have been mixed. In addition, the ten man squads each had a squad leader, a rank akin to a modern-day corporal, who led the second five marines when the squad was divided into battle squads. Where the sergeant is marked with a red skull, the squad leader is marked with a red "iron halo".

There are some interesting misunderstandings about the Codex Astartes.

I'll tackle one right now. The Apocrypha of Skaros is not the Codex Astartes - definitely not as Guilliman wrote it. It is an apocryphal document written some time during/after the Second Founding, which came about after the Codex Astartes was written. The Apocrypha of Skaros concerned itself with the Second Founding, and likely includes much/all of the Codex, and possibly has commentaries on the Codex. But it isn't the Codex Astartes.

The Ultramarines follow their version of the Codex Astartes. Most of us (including myself) would probably consider whatever version the Ultramarines follow to be the unexpurgated Codex. However, everyone should keep in mind that the Codex has probably been translated and re-translated multiple times in the intervening ten millennia. It's quite possible that somewhere along the line some poor servitor/thrall miscopied something. So it's possible that the Ultramarines' version has flaws, too.

The other Primogenitor Chapters likely have copies that could be argued to be just as faithful to the original as the Ultramarines'. We know that the Black Consuls are rabidly fanatical to their interpretation of the Codex. Others probably are, too.

For those who really want a good idea of the Codex Astartes, its translations, etc., refer to Insignium Astartes.

"Ten thousand years ago, following the end of the Horus Heresy, the original Space Marine Legions were substantially reorganised to for the Space Marine Chapters we know today. A new code of organisation and operational methods called the Codex Astartes was drawn up by the Adeptus Terra. This sought to define standard organisations and uniform details as well as providing the ultimate reference work on strategy and tatics. Over the millennia most of the Chapters have evolved variations on the details laid down by the Codex Astartes. Some have changed quite radically so that their organisation and operating procdures bear almost no resumblance to the textbook. The Ultramarines however have retained every detail of the Codex Astartes intact and have become famous for their rigid adherance to its ancient orthodoxy." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 8)

"The Dark Angels differ only slightly from the basic Chapter organisation of the Codex Astartes." The book goes on to describe the Ravenwing and Deathwing, and points out that the reserve tactical companies are not deployed as bikes or landspeeders. (Armies of the Imperium, p. 9)

"Like the other Chapters the Space Wilves were reorganised after the Horus Heresy according to the Codex Astartes. However, their Primarch, the famous Leman Russ, was never conventional and the Chapter soon adapted the suit its leader's fierce warrior mentality." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 11)

"Following the dark days of the Horus Heresy, when Space Marines fought fellow Space Marines and the whole Imperium was torn by conflict, the victorious commanders of the Emperor sat down together to draw up a new galactic order.... In particular, and after a great deal of discussion, they produced the great tome of ancient military wisdom known as the Codex Astartes.... Many of the most brilliant minds of the age contributed to the Codex Astartes.... With such brilliant minds as the Space Marine Primarchs Leman Russ and El'jonson offering sagely advice, as well as the practical wisdom of the great Imperial Guard commander General Tybour, the Codex Astartes has always been regarded as an essential part of every you officer's education." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 25)

"Every Imperial officer is familiar with its contents, and its many precepts and ideas form the basis for much lively debate. The book remains fresh and valid ten thousand years after it was written. This is because it is presented as a series of discussions and ideas by the most advanced military thinkers of its day, not as a strict code of practice soon to become out of date. Much of its content is contradictory or inconclusive, representing different aspects of military practice, and this is what makes the volume an eternal source of inspiration to military commanders whatever their personal inclinations." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 25)

When I find a quote I'll post it but:

1. I've read that when the CA was being written Roboute was compiling all the tactical and strategic knowledge available. He wrote the words themselves, but that's not to say some of the other Primarch's wisdom did not help him along.

2. The Apocrypha of Skaros is the oldest known copy of the CA. Earlier copies are lost. As such, it may differ from the original, but it most likely differs the least.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the hiatus there. I got busy with this and that. I've updated the top post with everything everyone submitted so far (I think. Let me know if I missed something.). Here's the latest entry:

"The official rules which govern the colour, syle, size and positioning of these identifying marks [on the marines' armour] are known as the Codex Astartes (often abbreviated to codex). The markings described by the Codex Astartes are referred to as 'codex' markings, indicating that they take the official pre-determined form." -Warhammer 40,000 Compilation, p. 29.

Like I said he did not write it all. That quto came out alot later. Alot. In game and in real life. This one however comes from second edition of the game.

Many of the most brilliant minds of the age contributed to the Codex Astartes.... With such brilliant minds as the Space Marine Primarchs Leman Russ and El'jonson offering sagely advice, as well as the practical wisdom of the great Imperial Guard commander General Tybour,

Who?

Many of the most brillent minds of the age.

To what?

The Codex Astartes.

"Ten thousand years ago, following the end of the Horus Heresy, the original Space Marine Legions were substantially reorganised to for the Space Marine Chapters we know today. A new code of organisation and operational methods called the Codex Astartes was drawn up by the Adeptus Terra. This sought to define standard organisations and uniform details as well as providing the ultimate reference work on strategy and tatics. Over the millennia most of the Chapters have evolved variations on the details laid down by the Codex Astartes. Some have changed quite radically so that their organisation and operating procdures bear almost no resumblance to the textbook. The Ultramarines however have retained every detail of the Codex Astartes intact and have become famous for their rigid adherance to its ancient orthodoxy." (Armies of the Imperium, p. 8)

Who made it?

A new code of organisation and operational methods called the Codex Astartes was drawn up by the Adeptus Terra.

He did not write ever word.

Think of it as the King James Bible. King James did not wite the bible. Yet he is given the Honour cause he paid for the project and decreed it to be.

Robert no doubt ask that it be made. Then all the military leaders surviving the Horus heresy put in their 2 cents. The the Scribes and peons bent back and started to compile it. Then it was off to the presses and poof you have a huge new book to be sent to each chapter master to help him in his duties.

And as I said flip through those Pages and you will find a ton of Leman Russ' quotes. because he contributed to it as well as countless others.

Which was my whole point. It is not a static book. And never was made to be one. It has blank pages for the chapter master to put down more words of wisdom as he aquires them. Even the one used by the Ultra Marines has adapted. Just not as often.

Which could be taken as of all the chapters of the Imperium the Ultra marines learn the least. lol If you think about it.

Now thou that is not true. Not with Nid hunters, and honour gaurds. They have become specialists too.

Which makes sence. If we do not learn from history we are doomed to make the same mistakes. So smarten up or die. Adapt and over come.

i think you are just wishfully thinking guiliman did nothing! while king james had the re-written bible named after him and never wrote it, guiliman never had the codex named after him but did compile it all. he may have allowed other sources to give their input, but its all his baby. it states this in the alpha legion IA (though a dubious source) and many other non-pro ultramarine biased sources.

Which could be taken as of all the chapters of the Imperium the Ultra marines learn the least. lol If you think about it.

Now thou that is not true. Not with Nid hunters, and honour gaurds. They have become specialists too.

ultramarines are always considered to fight "smart", while the other chapters of the first founding (with perhaps the exception of the spacewolves and raven guard) are even more set in their ways to disallow change. look at the dark angels, not the most liberal chapter at large within the imperium!

i agree that the codex can be added to, but id say that the current honour guard are not new additions. it would make sense they (and indeed all chapters) would have such specialisation. the war vets are a specialisation, but are probably sanctioned by the true codex (remember that BFG article that states that calgar used the codex to devise new and novel tactics?).

he may have allowed other sources to give their input, but its all his baby. it states this in the alpha legion IA (though a dubious source) and many other non-pro ultramarine biased sources.

Can you hit me with a quotation and a page number, please?

EDIT: No sense in me posting in here without contributing another entry:

"With the threat of extinction lifted for the immediate future, Guilliman turned his attention to ensuring that such a catastrophe could never happened again, distilling his formidable wisdom into a mighty tome known as the Codex Astartes." (Codex Space Marines, 2004, p. 7)

Edited by Brother Pariah

• 3 years later...

*Lifting his dead thread poking stick*

Source: p26-31 of WD (Oz) 300, the one with Calgar on his throne as the cover picture

Direct quotes from the Codex Astartes:

Only the eager martyr hoards a battle

A Space Marine does not wait for the enemy to attack. Make your foe react to your movements instead

In war one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there the enemies' movements are clearly visible and he will struggle to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is

Do not expect every foe to fall at the first blow, be ready to keep striking until they do

War is not your recreation, it's the reason for your existence, prepare for it well

Walls, trenches and towers are no obstacle, lack of imagination and lack of will are obstacles

Honour the craft of death

I liked it better when they didn't publish excerpts from the Codex.

It certainly made the whole Codex seem alot more ambiguous. If we look at the description of Tactical Marines, we see a very vague idea of their direction. We assume there is more detailed information on their use, but since the only information we have in print points to a less than detailed description of the Codex, it does leave some questions...

Top post updated. First update in like 3 years!

I liked it better when they didn't publish excerpts from the Codex.

I don't mind it. I don't think we've gotten to that bit yet, but the Codex is a multi-volume work, with thousands of pages. I few quotes here and there don't hurt anything, in my opinion.

I wanted to agree with Octavulg in that the given "quotes" are completely superficial and of little merit, but then I thought, perhaps they are not supposed to convey content, perhaps they are just sort of tag lines of certain articles in the Codex.

Perhaps a chapter on battle dynamics or enemy psychology is introduced with "A Space Marine does not wait for the enemy to attack. Make your foe react to your movements instead", and after that follows a several hundred page treatise on how to manipulate or coerce the enemy in making certain manouvers you want him to do by manouvering your own forces in a certain way.

And when a Chaplain then strides through the ranks and makes the above remark, the Marines will immediately associate it with what is written in that substantial treatise.

Edited by Legatus

Since when have you and Octavulg wanted to agree on anything :)

Yeah, likely they are just excerts from a greater, more detailed overview, otherwise the whole Codex would be as useful as the recent general election in Britain!

"Roboute Guilliman's greatest work describes and prescribes how the entire Imperial military should be organised and how it should fight. Within its hallowed pages are long treatises on all manner of tactics and strategies for virtually all of the soldiers, warriors, and war machines known to the Imperium. Of special interest is the volume devoted to the Space Marines. This volume sets out how a Chapters should be structured, recruit, train, fight and dress. In fact every aspect of being a Space Marine is covered in some detail.

"The original Codex was compiled approximately ten thousand years ago in the aftermath of the Horus Heresy. It is not known what form the original took: it may have been a manuscript or it may have been a compilation of holo-files or even some combination. Of course manuscript copies were made and distributed. The oldest surviving copy of the Codex is reputed to be the Apocrypha of Skaros. The Liber Arcanum of Grand Marshall Tolof and the Holo-Record 442/33508; Gant Manuscript v2 of the Ceris Archive have some claim to this honour as well. Over the millennia the copies have been copied and recopied many times in order to preserve them. Inevitably, mistakes occur and so it is unlikely that and two copies of the Codex will be identical. Furthermore, the work is constantly being reanalysed and reinterpreted. The original prose style of Roboute is it best archaic and in some cases almost unintelligible. This has lead to many varied interpretations over the centuries and to many situations where two entirely different doctrines have been legitimately claimed as 'official Codex' at the same time."

(Insignium Astartes, p. 8)

Edited by Brother Pariah

It's that the language they are couched in is...well, I'm pretty sure almost all of us could have presented it better.

Also, we actually do have some quotes from Leman Russ kicking around the background, and they're all much more articulate and intelligent-sounding than those...