Defeating Nurgle w/BA

btemp

I've just recently started playing, and my friend plays as a Nurgle army (I use Blood Angels). His army is very basic, lots of infantry, terminators etc. and his strategy is even simpler: he just marches up the middle, or wherever, and just mass shoots my units.

Naturally, it would appear to me that the bane of this army would be manueverability. As well, because of his high toughness, units with high attacks, such as Terminators with assault cannons, have proven effective. I've consitently managed to lose in close combat, just due to my inability to wound, and at one point lost a 5 man death company with chaplain, 3 man tac. squad w/sargeant, and a 5 man tac squad to a single Plague Marine with a manreaper.

I've found that maneuverability itself isn't that useful because there are no gaping wholes in his formations, no flanks, no nothing. Can I do anything short of picking him off (even this partially failed as units would fail rolls and charge into combat, negating their long range status and making them susceptible to his whole force)? Am I missing something?

What size game (points?) are you playing?

Your Furious Charge counteracts his toughness. Basically just max out on troop choices and inflate your death company with vet sarges.

His units are more expensive than yours - you'll easily win the war of attrition as long as you keep arranging it where you can charge him. You can even send your DC directly at his most expensive units and still cone out on top.

Also use long range fire like las cannons.

I agree. I don't think in this particular situation, assuming 2000pts, that taking two chaplains with a DC and giving PW instead of PF's to the sgts. would be a bad idea. You can even put LC's on the chaplains to make sure they kill everything. 12 re-rollable to hit and wound attacks will probably kill everything from a 10 man squad and if they don't the rest of the DC will. Take the grail and sweep into the next unit. Your DC will run you about 500pts with reclusiarch and will earn their points back after two squads of nurgle marines. If all he's got is marching infantry you're golden. He can't take heavy weapons with a mark of nurgle so range is not an issue. Take assaut termies with LC's and be smart, get the charge. He can't beat you in HtH. The Lord marching through your guys was a fluke. Even so the DC is supposed to die, it's what they want, make sure the Lord is by himself after he kills the DC (attack everthing but the lord) then shoot him with S8 weapons or AC's.

Sorry, my solution to everything is..."throw you DC at it"...well everything but harliquins and genesteelers. Wraithlords, seer council, hive tyrant, carnifex, tau skimmers, chaos of all kinds, everything. Works most of the time, and if it doesn't at least it's in character.

Assault cannons ruin Nurgle marines as the rending hits kill them Just as easilly as vanilla marines.

Obviously a decent sized DC on the charge will ruin any of their squads, also due to their limited heavy weapons tanks (Baals!) and dreads can do a decent Job for you.

Try a Vindicator. You only stand a 1 in 6 chance of it moving (grr) and if he's advancing up the centre of the table in one big block your cannon should have plenty to kill. Even T5 isn't going to help them there!

Alternatiely, he'll spend a lot of time trying to kill it which can be spent by you getting into the position you want to be in - use it as bait, in other words!

One of the major drawbacks to Deathguard is their lack of mobility. Use this as an advantage. Units that can punish him are Landspeeder Tornados and any gun with 24" range or more. Force the Deathguard to march through a hail of intense firepower for several turns. Las/plas tactical squads are your friends! Also tanks will do well against him since Deathguard also have another major drawback, which is their lack of long ranged firepower.

If he is using infiltrating units deploy your army such that all of his units must start at least 18" away. Focus your firepower on the closest enemy units first and wipe them out.

Use your assault units for counter attacking and make sure the numbers are in your favor when you charge in. If you can thin down his units by the time he is close enough to assault then the odds will be in your favor.

- 0b

Use Vet Serg wielding PF in your tac squads firing las/plas and plasma cannon shoots into him.

The key is to get his numerous troop squads (probably 5 or 6 squads of 8) all down to managable numbers, where a simple charge will all but wipe them out.

plasma kills Death Guard just like every other marine, 3 to hit, 2 to kill.

I would not be a fan of speeders and Baals. Both need to get too close which plays into his strengths. I would favor las'd out preds and plasma cannon troops backed by a few PFs to kill death guard.

good luck!

As a nurgle player, I recommend two types of vehicles: Baal Predators and Dreds armed with Assault Cannons. Upgrade squads with lots of range, including rocekt launchers and heavy bolters. Most Nurgle armies cannot strike beyond an effective range of 24' (My usual army contains any type of range only on vehicles: two lascannon on my landraider, an Autocannon on my Dred, three lascannon on my Predator, and if i can afford it, havoc launchers on all three). Take his tanks out early with squad-based weapons, then stand back and let loose. ooh, and scouts. Long range and they nullify high toughness is equipped with sniper rifles. I'm not sure if BA can take scouts with sniper rifles (as i hav enever played with them) but if they can go for it.

• 2 years later...
I play as Death Guard, and my greatest nemesis is Plasma weapons. Equip as many plasma weapons as you can to your men, this eats through Plague marines and termies alike. Forget power weapons or power fists and use the points to field more basic units. If you sit tight and let the Plague marines advance to your lines his troop count will be a lot lower than yours and your sheer numerical superiority will win the battle. I would not advise assaulting the Plague marines as their blight grenades give them that extra edge in combat and you want to focus suppress them with plasma weapons. ;)

Yup yup. Threadromancy is okay by me so long as something has been added to the original.

As for dealing with Nurgle - Vindies = win, DC = win, Corbulo = Win !! Why not take away their toughness bonus. VAS with 3 PWs and Corbs means 12 PW attacks on the charge that still wound on 4s.

Throw Dante into the mix and you're negating all their defensive grenade nonsense too (in essence).

Archived