IA: Space Sharks

Cpt_Tiberius

I have been working on this concept off and on for the past year now. I decided to post what I had so far in the hope that I could recieve some help polishing the article. I plan on adding pictures special characters and sidebar stories once this has been revised more. So here is what I have so far, at the end are some notes of things I want to include but was unsure were to place.

Index Astartes: Space Sharks

(rough draft)

Origins:

The exact founding of the Space Sharks chapter has been lost over the centuries. Though the earliest surviving records of them are from battle reports of the Styx Rebellion in 359.M34. From this information we can assume that they have been around since at least the 11th founding.

Homeworld:

The Space Sharks were originally based on Thethys, an aquatic deathworld located in the south of Segmentum Pacificus. The chapter recruited strictly from the population of pre-bronze age tribes living on the scattered islands of the planet.

When the chapter arrived on the planet they were greeted as children of Monatoa, The Great Hunter, an anthropomorphic shark deity that was venerated by the native population. The newly formed chapter began recruiting from the islanders and elements of this primitive faith have been absorbed into the Chapter's doctrine.

The native population of Tethys were ideal recruiting material as they were remarkably free of taint. Being strong of limb and unparalleled swimmers, the recruits took well to the transformative surgeries that produce space marines.

However calamity fell upon the Chapter's beloved world. A rogue planetoid collided with the planet, leaving the chapter without a homeworld. What percentage of the native population that could be saved were taken aboard the Chapter's Fleet. The Chapter wandered for many years as a fleet based chapter.

When the Badab uprising occurred, the Space Sharks were approached with the offer of a new homeworld if they would help quash the rebellion. The Shark's agreed eagerly and set about retaking the worlds that had been captured by the rebels during the campaign. There attack was swift and vicious, world after world fell before their onslaught. In the end they were victorious, receiving the former homeworld of the Mantis Legion as their prize.

Upon taking ownership of the planet, they renamed it Thethys Secundus in memory of their lost world. Thethys Secundus has changed drastically since the Sharks took stewardship. The native population were relocated to the planet's main land mass Rabal. The rest of the world was given over to the tribes rescued from Tethys. They have returned to there primitive ways, though there time onboard the ships has changed them.

The Shark's have also changed the ecology of their new homeworld. Releasing specimens from their old home into the new ecosystem, which as can be imagined has caused some collapse in the established food chain, as new and more deadly predators overpower the established species.

Combat Doctrine:

The Space Sharks are widely recognized as masters of aquatic/amphibious warfare. The Combat principles under which they train focus on swift and decisive attacks on enemy shipping lines & naval assets. They also are well versed in boarding actions, securing beachheads and underwater demolition. There skills are so well known, that they are regularly approach by the Imperial Guard to train regiments taking part in actions on aquatic worlds.

Organization:

The Space Sharks are only nominally a codex chapter. While they do venerate the ancient text, they do not follow it dogmatically as some chapters do. Trained to think adaptively the chapter has evolved over time to suit their preferred style of warfare.

The chapter is divided into 10 companies as most chapters are, with the 1st and 10th being reserved for veterans and scouts respectively. However the chapter does not utilize reserve companies, but instead each of the remain companies is a full battle company. The companies duties revolve between Imperial Guard training missions, regular combat duties, and guard duties on their Thethys Secundus.

The Chapter rarely utilizes bike or land speeder squadrons, preferring to rely on assault squads and armor support instead to support their furious assaults.

Markings:

The Space Sharks chapter badge is a representation of their homeworld's Shark totem. Like most chapters it is worn on the left pauldron. The right pauldron shows squad affiliation, with the markings in white. Company affiliation is denoted on the right kneepad by number only. All Space Sharks adorn their helmet with a red Blood Stripe in memory of their lost homeworld and the bloody path that they followed to win their new home. Many marines wear shark tooth totems as badges of honor, especially veterans. It has also been recorded that they will paint shark mouth markings on their vehicles to unnerve their enemy.

Notes:

• When being inducted into the chapter, aspirants must take a lone voyage across their homeworld's ocean and return only when they have slain one of the ferocious sharks that infest the waters. Many marines were necklaces or other totems made from the teeth of these mighty hunters. This may occur when they transition from Scout to Marine instead.

• The Space Sharks have a long standing partnership with the Adeptus Mechanicus and test aquatic gear and modifications for them. The shipyards located on Tethys Secundus are widely recognized as producing the finest aquatic war machines.

• Their original homeworld may have been infested with some unidentified xenos species. The legends of the tribes speak of the masters of the deep which were driven away or destroyed by the Sharks from the Stars. Whether this is a mere uneducated myth or fragments of an actual event is unknown.

• The Space Sharks are masters of rapid strikes and ship boarding actions. They are also one of the few chapters that train extensively for aquatic missions, and use several specially devised items. These include amphibious transports, submersible, and underwater propulsion packs for assault troops.

• Few things are as terrifying as an assault by the Space Sharks. there brutal tactics spurred by the deep rage they feel at the loss of there homeworld.

• The Space Sharks are one of the more humanitarian chapters, their dealings with the Guard regiments has given them a respect for humans and they see it as the Emperor's will that they defend them.

• Traits used are No Mercy No Respite, Blessed be the Warriors, & Eye to Eye.

• The Jump Packs of their Assault Squads have been modified to operate underwater.

• Their Fortress Monastery is a gigantic submersible starship. A relic of the Age of Strife.

• Their is an alternate chapter badge floating around that shows a shark swimming around a star. I don't care for this badge, but I didn't want to just discard it. I have decided that it is actuallu a badge/patch that is awarded to IG units that are deemed exceptionally talented by the Space Sharks traing them.

• Their Geneseed is unknown for certain, but likely candidates are IF or WS. I'm not sure if i want to go into this or not, but I thought I'd throw it in here just incase.

• Please note that I am not seeing them as the uncontollable maniacs that the Space Wolvs are, but certainly ruthless and cunning.

Here are some inspiration pieces I did for the project:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/Space_Shark.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/space_shark.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/space_shark_cpt_2.jpg

These images are mainly Veterans so are a bit to "blingy" for my current concept. I am invisioning them more rugged and no nonsense, with lot's of ammo clips, knives, and pouches, instead of gold filigree and purity seals all over the place.

So that's what I have so far. What do I need to fix besides my mediocre grammar? ;)

-Thanks in advance for your help. ;)

Most of it looks good, but I would suggest a few things. Firstly, your origins section needs to be greatly enlarged. If you look at most IA's this section is the largest.

The chapter recruited strictly from the population of pre-bronze age tribes living on the scattered islands of the planet.
While we know what you mean by pre-bronze age, this concept would exsist in the 40k universe. Just change it to something like "extremely feral state of exsistance"

I like the idea of them terraforming the Mantis' home-world to something similar to their old world, it seems like their killing two birds with one stone, removing the taint of the Mantis Legion and recreating their homeworld.

There skills are so well known, that they are regularly approach by the Imperial Guard to train regiments taking part in actions on aquatic worlds.

Marines rarely would train IG. It would be a similar experience to Einstein trying to talk about photons to a 3-year old. The IG would be pushed to hard and would die. Maybe you could change this to they are frequently called upon to do this duty [fight aquatic battles] where normally IG would be used.

Their original homeworld may have been infested with some unidentified xenos species. The legends of the tribes speak of the masters of the deep which were driven away or destroyed by the Sharks from the Stars. Whether this is a mere uneducated myth or fragments of an actual event is unknown.
Maybe a lost tyranid [such as the catachen devil] which has evolved to live underwater [similar look to a shark]. Thus the tribe's god is based upon a 'Nid

Their Geneseed is unknown for certain, but likely candidates are IF or WS. I'm not sure if i want to go into this or not, but I thought I'd throw it in here just incase

Personally I would opt for the Ultramarines. You already have enough spice in your chapter without resorting to a gene-seed hook, so just go plain blue.

Nice artwork btw ;)

Ferrata

I'm not too keen on them being yet another 'lost founding' chapter. Is this because you're unwilling to alter GW fluff too much? Perhaps, if you don't want to definitively mention a number, alternatives could be that the Inquisition has classified the records for some reason, or that the chapter keeps the records to themselves? Personally, I'd just go for it and say that they're from the eleventh founding.

I like the idea of Thethys. It has a very strong tropical theme, the populace remind me of Maori/Fijian tribal warriors, and that's quite a good theme.

However, I think that the death of Thethys is handled poorly. I applaud you whole-heartedly for it not being a 'planet destroyed by Orks/Tyranids, chapter in mourning' story, but if the chapter had the time to save the populace, along with the native animals, surely they had time to deflect or destroy the rogue planetoid? Space Marine chapters have huge amounts of naval firepower at their disposal.

I'm also not so sure about the way that the Badab Uprising is handled. The way that you've detailed it makes the Space Sharks a little... greedy? Self-centred? That they entered the campaign only to take a new world. Also, why would they need to enter the campaign to get a world? A Space Marine chapter can claim pretty much any world as their recruiting grounds, and nobody's going to stop them. As such, the offer of a new homeworld seems a little... bland? The Space Sharks would seem a little more.. noble, if they embarked upon the Badab war for selfless reasons.

Also, I'm unsure how many worlds were taken by Lufgt Huron during the Badab Uprising, so the reference to 'world after world fell' seems a bit off to me. I think that the chapters such as the Lamenters and Mantis Legion had to forfeit their homeworlds, even if those homeworlds weren't anywhere near Badab and the Maelstrom.

You don't mention what kind of world Thethys Secundus is. I'd find it very interesting to know more about their populace, and how they've reacted, going from the Mantis Warriors to the Space Sharks. Are the Space Sharks discriminatory towards the original inhabitants? Do they only recruit from the original Thethyians?

With regards to your notes: I think it might be interesting for the slaying of the shark to be done during the transition from Scout to Marine. That way, the shark-teeth totems are only worn by marines. Alternatively, it could be done from Marine to Veteran. Consider that the sharks are, effectively, an endangered species ;) and also the fact that you could use a 'Shark-tooth Necklace' to represent Terminator Honours? The idea of a marine in a boat with a harpoon strikes me as a very cool one.

I'm unsure about the reference to the 'shipyards'. With the galactic nature of 40k, shipyards usually refer to the construction of Space Ships. The Space Sharks would have to be adept at space actions - perhaps their Naval (Space, not Water) tactics owe something to the way Sharks hunt? It would be good to see some more information on the Space Sharks' Space actions.

I'm unsure about their Fortress Monastery being a submersible; if only because it seems convenient that they had it and reached a water world (Thethys) and that they managed to get it out and bring it to Thethys Secundus. It's a nice image, though, but not one I personally prefer for the fortress monastery itself.

It's great work, though, and a good start. I look forward to seeing more on these guys.

However, I think that the death of Thethys is handled poorly. I applaud you whole-heartedly for it not being a 'planet destroyed by Orks/Tyranids, chapter in mourning' story, but if the chapter had the time to save the populace, along with the native animals, surely they had time to deflect or destroy the rogue planetoid? Space Marine chapters have huge amounts of naval firepower at their disposal.

I'm not great at Warhammer 40,000 fluff, but I believe I can help out with this little tidbit.

Dealing with rogue planetoids is sketchy at best (Assuming by "planetoids" you mean "large balls of floating rock that is hurtling towards me way too fast for my liking"). A massive amount of firepower could simply make your problem far, far worse than the original asteroid itself. As of now, we recognize three different types of asteroids; a solid ball of rock, two smaller balls that are held together and sort of revolve around eachother, and many smaller asteroids loosely held together in a rough kind of ball. Blowing up the first one could rid you of the asteroid (Or, alternatively, give you a thousand tinier asteroids to deal with instead of one big one), the second asteroid would leave several fragments behind the detonation, and the final asteroid would simply blow apart then reform into exactly what it was before. Moving it is an equal problem, one which even scientists on Earth today are not sure how to approach. You could use a large sail to catch solar winds and blow the asteroid off target, but if Thethys isn't close enough to a sun for that, that might not work. You could try a direct propulsion system to move it, but this would depend on what kind of asteroid you're dealing with. It's a lot easier to push one big rock out of the way than a whole lot of tinier rocks that keep slipping out of the way of whatever is trying to push the asteroid.

I believe this would be an oppotune moment to kill two birds with one stone. Have the Space Marines try to detonate the asteroid, but either the asteroid simply reforms (If it were made of lots of smaller rocks), or it detonates into many smaller chunks from the larger piece (Which would be equally dangerous to the planet). This would mean they would have to make an emergency evacuation of the planet, and would carry the heavy burden of knowing they failed to save their homeworld and doomed their former people to an existence trapped inside a metal ship. This would allow a bit of a sense of nobility when the Badab War comes along--instead of the Space Sharks looking for a world for themselves, they are looking for a world for their former people whom they failed to protect.

As a side note, I like the Space Sharks. I've always been a fan of sharks (I have far too many National Geographic shark videos than is probably healthy), and had considered making an army of Space Sharks once I encountered the Chapter last year. In the end, though, I decided against it and went DIY instead. Glad to see someone took up the mantle of another of the rarely seen Chapters that GW has named and sort of forgotten over the years. =)

The rest of the fluff is really beyond my area of knowledge or expertise. But thought I would toss that bit in there if it helps.

Good luck with your fluff.

I believe this would be an oppotune moment to kill two birds with one stone. Have the Space Marines try to detonate the asteroid, but either the asteroid simply reforms (If it were made of lots of smaller rocks), or it detonates into many smaller chunks from the larger piece (Which would be equally dangerous to the planet). This would mean they would have to make an emergency evacuation of the planet, and would carry the heavy burden of knowing they failed to save their homeworld and doomed their former people to an existence trapped inside a metal ship. This would allow a bit of a sense of nobility when the Badab War comes along--instead of the Space Sharks looking for a world for themselves, they are looking for a world for their former people whom they failed to protect.

That's an interesting idea - that the Space Sharks tried valiantly to save their homeworld but failed is interesting (assuming Tiberius likes it, of course.)

However, I would make the point that I'm not so sure on the Space Sharks entering the war under the proviso that they get a world at the end of the campaign. I think that perhaps makes them seem a little too self-serving? I'm also unsure that the promise of riches would really be required to spur a Space Marine chapter into combat against traitor marines abusing the honour of the Astartes and the benevolence of the Emperor.

Of course, all my suggestions come with the assumption that Tiberius would only use them if he likes them.

As for the rewards and promise of a planet and whatnot, I can't really speak on that, as I said I am hardly good at handling WH40K fluff. I do, however, know a little about asteroids, so thought I would offer what little information I had that could be helpful.

However, in my opinion there is no doubt that promises of riches and spoils would be unnecessary for a Space Marine Chapter to join battle against traitors (For there is nothing so hated and despised as a traitor!). Exactly what could get the Space Sharks to join is probably out of my league. What one could imagine, however, is that the promise of a new homeplanet would cause them to fight with a greater amount of zeal than they would normally. Plus, these Marines have been trapped inside a metal ship for some time, and I assume that their indoctrinations would not be able to bring in many new potential marine recruits. And the scouts they had previously would probably not have the best of training, and so the Space Sharks probably would not have been able to dedicate a large focus of troops under normal circumstances; but with the promise of a homeplanet, they would call upon any and all reserves in order to win.

Alternatively, you could look at it like this. At the beginning of the Badab War, there is only a knowledge that the traitor Chapters will forfeit their homeworld, and there is no mention of what will happen to the worlds afterwards. The Space Sharks and their tribal brethren were forcefully ripped from their home from fate carried on the back of a huge asteroid--these traitor Marines are purposefully turning their backs on their homeplanet. This would probably cause the Space Sharks to feel understandably quite upset, and have a lot of contempt (Even more than usual) for the traitors. So initially, they are spurred to join the war by the feelings of rage that these Marines would purposefully give away what the Space Sharks had no choice in losing. Then further along through the war, it would be known that the homeworlds would be forfeit to another loyal Chapter, and one of them could be the Space Sharks either through deed, or necessity (They are one of the few Chapters who need/want a new homeplanet).

Just tossing a few ideas out. Maybe if I'm lucky, they can rattle Molotov's head a little and he can come up with something a lot better. ;)

That's actually a good way of looking at it, Darrell - the Space Sharks see the misguided 'traitor' chapters - such as the Mantis Warriors and the Lamenters that joined Huron without realising that he was rogue - as taking for granted/turning their backs on something that the Space Sharks have lost so painfully. It allows the Space Sharks to fight with something akin to contempt/jealousy.

I was considering that the Space Sharks could have simply found the first aquatic planet they wanted and set up shop there. Perhaps something stopped them? They were called to war by something/the Chapter Master said no/the Chapter resolved not to settle until a debt of pennance had been paid/the Librarians consulted the Emperor's Tarot or ancient Thethyian magic like casting Shark's teeth and found the worlds weren't suitable/All the signs pointed to the world not being suitable. Perhaps the Space Sharks did settle on another world, only to find it wasn't suitable for X reason, and they moved on?

Thanks for the replies! Here is my reasoning behind some of my choices...

Most of it looks good, but I would suggest a few things. Firstly, your origins section needs to be greatly enlarged. If you look at most IA's this section is the largest.
I agree. I plan on expanding this section, just was not sure what all needed to go in here.

While we know what you mean by pre-bronze age, this concept would exsist in the 40k universe. Just change it to something like "extremely feral state of exsistance"

I'll see if I can word this better. My intent much like Molotov suggested, was to make them sort of pascific islander/maori in culture. Definitely stone-age in tech level.

I like the idea of them terraforming the Mantis' home-world to something similar to their old world, it seems like their killing two birds with one stone, removing the taint of the Mantis Legion and recreating their homeworld
Thanks! :P Yeah I wanted to show that they are a little more concerned with their own needs and traditions than what the current population wants.

Marines rarely would train IG. It would be a similar experience to Einstein trying to talk about photons to a 3-year old. The IG would be pushed to hard and would die. Maybe you could change this to they are frequently called upon to do this duty [fight aquatic battles] where normally IG would be used.

While Rare, it's not unheard of. The Mentor legion train IG units. There is also a UM who trains the PDF in "Warriors of Ultramar" (it's the guy who is always bickering with Uriel.) I sort of see it like Top Gun, These guys are the best at what they do. They pass on this knowledge to a select group who need there skill set.

They take into consideration the limitations of the IG trooper and push them hard enough to make them better, but stop just short of killing them...usually :tu:

Maybe a lost tyranid [such as the catachen devil]which has evolved to live underwater [similar look to a shark]. Thus the tribe's god is based upon a 'Nid

I wanted to avoid the main races & chaos. Besides the Space Wolves have theoretical 'nid organisms on Fenris, so trying to go a different route. I wanted something more obscure, like hrud or psygore. It's a big universe with lot's of weird stuff going on.

Also note that the Shark Diety protects the tribes from the "monsters" he isn't one of them. They see these sea creatures as more squid/octopus-like (my little nod to Lovecraft. ^_^ )

Personally I would opt for the Ultramarines. You already have enough spice in your chapter without resorting to a gene-seed hook, so just go plain blue.
Yeah I know your right, I just really don't like Roboute, he just seems like a weenie to me. Besides I would probably go Rogal in this instance, pretty much codex, but his outlook is more in line with mine. He's a fighter not a politician.

Nice artwork btw

Thanks!, I will have alot of artwork in my codex as time permits. These won't make the cut though. (well maybe the first one...)

I'm not too keen on them being yet another 'lost founding' chapter. Is this because you're unwilling to alter GW fluff too much? Perhaps, if you don't want to definitively mention a number, alternatives could be that the Inquisition has classified the records for some reason, or that the chapter keeps the records to themselves? Personally, I'd just go for it and say that they're from the eleventh founding
Well my initial intention was to make them 5th founding, but I don't know much about it and wasn't sure if there was a fluff reason not to use this founding. Besides I thought I might catch guff on the founding issue, so went the "lost in the annals of time" route.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I wil revise it to some natural disaster, such as the sun going nova or cataclysmic earthquakes, or something like that.

My initial idea for this stemmed from this question, "Why would a Chapter need another world" So I thought about it and ths was the direction I chose. Since they recruit exclusively from the Tethyians, they don't need recruits, and they don't want to rule other planets like the UM, so I thought a wandering tribe looking for a home type of motif would be more fitting. This really is the key event in my fluff, so I want it to work.

I'm also not so sure about the way that the Badab Uprising is handled. The way that you've detailed it makes the Space Sharks a little... greedy? Self-centred? That they entered the campaign only to take a new world. Also, why would they need to enter the campaign to get a world? A Space Marine chapter can claim pretty much any world as their recruiting grounds, and nobody's going to stop them. As such, the offer of a new homeworld seems a little... bland? The Space Sharks would seem a little more.. noble, if they embarked upon the Badab war for selfless reasons
This section also needs work. I need to explain their motivations better. They had 2 motivations for entering the conflict. First, to win a new home for there tribal family. Second, they felt the rebels were not following the mandate of the Emperor to defend the imperium and it's people.

I also forgot to add that the Manis Legion/Warriors and the Space Sharks still don't get along, because of the events of the conflict.

Also, I'm unsure how many worlds were taken by Lufgt Huron during the Badab Uprising, so the reference to 'world after world fell' seems a bit off to me. I think that the chapters such as the Lamenters and Mantis Legion had to forfeit their homeworlds, even if those homeworlds weren't anywhere near Badab and the Maelstrom.

Maybe I was a bit to melodramatic... :D

There were several systems (or at least planet's) that fell to the rebels. I'll revise this part as well.

You don't mention what kind of world Thethys Secundus is. I'd find it very interesting to know more about their populace, and how they've reacted, going from the Mantis Warriors to the Space Sharks. Are the Space Sharks discriminatory towards the original inhabitants? Do they only recruit from the original Thethyians?
D'OH! I meant to add that part in. I will post this later when I have more time.

I think it might be interesting for the slaying of the shark to be done during the transition from Scout to Marine. That way, the shark-teeth totems are only worn by marines. Alternatively, it could be done from Marine to Veteran. Consider that the sharks are, effectively, an endangered species and also the fact that you could use a 'Shark-tooth Necklace' to represent Terminator Honours? The idea of a marine in a boat with a harpoon strikes me as a very cool

I'm torn on this one, I think I want to keep it at the initiate level, probably Scout to Marine. This is a symbolic test, much like the Iron hands sacrificing their left hand. Though I could have them undertake a more dangerous hunt in the transition to veteran status, hmm, I'll have to think about that some more.

I'm unsure about the reference to the 'shipyards'. With the galactic nature of 40k, shipyards usually refer to the construction of Space Ships. The Space Sharks would have to be adept at space actions - perhaps their Naval (Space, not Water) tactics owe something to the way Sharks hunt? It would be good to see some more information on the Space Sharks' Space a
By shipyards, I mean aquatic. The export aquatic landing craft & riverine patrol boats, as well as parts to retrofit imperial vehicles for amphibious operations, these include pontoons, engine snorkles, Hazardous liquid filters and similiar items. These are produced primarily for the Chapter, but they supply local guard units with their surplus to raise revenue for the population.

Yes they are adept at space operations, but so are alot of marine chapters (soul drinkers come to mind). The Space Sharks practice Aquatic/Amphibious missions. I kind of see them as being like the Navy SEALS.

I'm unsure about their Fortress Monastery being a submersible; if only because it seems convenient that they had it and reached a water world (Thethys) and that they managed to get it out and bring it to Thethys Secundus. It's a nice image, though, but not one I personally prefer for the fortress monastery itself.

The Submersible fortress is something that was gifted to them by the Ad Mech. They did not have it before they settled on Tethys. Tethys was primarily covered with scattered archipelagoes and islands, most of which were inhabited. The submersible fortress allowed them to be near their potential recruits without disturbing their way of life. Basically it's a starship smaller than a Battle Barge, but larger than a strike cruiser. Much like there are rare examples of trans-atmospheric warships, this one lands on water and can be submersed. Really this isn't that odd, the ship would be airtight for space travel anyway, it would just need specialized drive systems and submerging systems.

I also forgot to add that I saw there fleet as being almost exclusively made up of strike cruisers and smaller craft. They definitely only have the one big ship, which they rarely use in combat.

Thanks again for your imput, it was really helpful. :wub:

Just a quick update as I didn't see the latter posts and the other is so long.

I like Darrell's Idea with the asteroids. I was mulling this over while I was running around today, And had actually had the Idea that the Sharks might have done something to cause the Cataclysm.

As to why they didn't just set up shop at the first available planet, I'm not sure. But there could be various reasons, such as a breakout of war that distracted the chapter or even finding a world that was biologically compatible with their transplanted fauna.

I will elaborate a bit more on their reasons for joining the Badab war. The Space Sharks are a very honour bond chapter. They see there job of protecting the Imperium & the population as being divine mandate. The idea of a chapter declaring itself above the Emperor's law's as Heresy. They would view the rebels as trying to say they were on par with the Emperor himself.

They would have fought anyway, but the offer of a new homeworld for their people, drove them for much of the conflict. They saw themselves as not only fighting for the security of the Imperium, but also of the future of their people and their chapter.

If I take Darrell's suggestion that they (at least inadvertantly) caused the destruction of their former homeworld, then the guilt and need for atonement would also reflect their attitude. I definitely don't want them to sound greedy so I will need help massaging this part it seems.

Thanks again for all their imput.

:D

Thethys Secundus - an overview

Thethys Secundus is a planet located in the ???? Segmentum. It is a temperate world circling a yellow star. The System itself is composed of 5 planets with an asteroid belt between the 4th & 5th planets. Thethys Secundus is the 3rd planet in the system and the only one to support life.

The planet is dominated by water, but there are 3 continents located near each other on one hemisphere of the planet. The other hemisphere is dominated by islands, small land masses, and archipelagoes. The climate of the planet is tropical, and there are no polar caps. Tethys Secundus is a medium sized planet roughly equivalent to earth in size. The Thethyian year is 412 days long with a 32 hour day. Seasonal shift mainly involves rainy and dry seasons.

Tethys Secundus was once the homeworld of the Mantis Legion/Warriors. After the events of the Badab War, their world was given to the Space Sharks as spoils of war. The Space Sharks took possesion of the planet and immediately began cleansing it of the percieved taint. Their first act was to burn the Mantis Warrior's fortress Monastary to the ground. The current population was forcibly relocated to the main continents and forbidden from interacting with the Tethyian refugees. After initial purges of percieved anti-imperial rebels, the Sharks took an indifferent stance toward the original population.

The rest of the planet was seeded with the displaced tribes. The Sharks have a strong tie to the Tethyians, but prefer not to interfere with there culture. Life for them has returned to much as it was before the exodus.

The chapter also brought along samples of species that were important to the Tethyian culture, These have been introduced into the new environment and has caused signficant changes in the planet's biosphere. only time will tell what the ramifications of their actions will be.

Technologically the planet is split. The orignal inhabitants had a functioning imperial technology base, though abit antiquated. The refugees are feral tribes that still utilize natural resources and exist in a hunter/gather paradigm.

The 3 main continents form an inland sea which is utilized by the industrial population. The Sharks utilize the body of water for all of their training exercises. The main city of Rabal Prime hosts the planet's only starport and is the seat of the industrial complex on the planet. The Chapter has a small keep where they hold meetings with agents of the imperium and conduct business with the local population. This structure is usually manned by a squad of marines & a staff of chapter serfs.

The Tethyian tribes consider the inner sea taboo & see it as the land of the gods. Large Stone idols stand guard at the straits leading into the sea to ward off curious islanders.

++++++++++++++++++

Okay that is what I have so far. I know it's a bit jumbly. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, but I've been tied up with other projects. Anyway I thought I'd post some ideas I had and see if I can get some feed back on what I have so far.

First I want to outline my goals for this project. My main aim is not to just produce an Index Astartes article, but to produce a full Codex (minus rules of course) so here is a rought outline of what I'm thinking, though the actual contents may change a bit for the final product. So here is what I'm thinking:

Let me begin by saying that this is extremely good. You should be very pleased with the product that you have created. The sketchs are outstanding as well and definately add a flavor to the background. That being said and at the risk of picking at you some more, a few thoughts to add.

Why the decision of not having Landspeeders. I would think that on an aquatic world or a Chater that specializes in aquatic warfare would rely heavily on these. I can see these them actually being modified so that they float. Same thing with bikes,...possibly some use of the vehicle desighn rules for small hover bikes?

Finally, I would simply go with the idea that your boys are fighting Badab War for one reason and one reason only; because its the right thing to do. Not for personal gain, not out of contempt, but because its the will of the Emperor. Other than that, I think you have a great Chapter.

Severus6

Heyo,

First off - I remember the Space Sharks from my RT days: when the Land Raider first came out there were camo schemes on the back of the box and one of them was of the Space Sharks. The badge was the Shark over the star - so i think that's the original icon. Anyways I was like ... "Space Sharks?! :lol: BUT I would have so gone that way if I could have painted the badge on the minis. But I digress ...

---

Since the Space Sharks were around since Rogue Trader days then putting them in the 3rd to 6th Founding was what I was thinking when I first read this. So your choice at putting them in the 5th is totally appropriate to me.

---

The first 2 paragraphs in "Homeworld" seem to say the same thing.

---

If it were up to me I would make the Sharks a White Scar successor. It is in line with the Scars' ferocity and tribalism (which may be an inherant trait). But it's yours and Dorn is not a bad choice at all. Go for it.

---

I like the idea of making a new world like what they knew before.

---

Although I disagree with the IG trainer aspect, you justified it. If the UM can do it, why not anyone else :cuss

---

Maybe the "slaying the shark" trial could be done at each level of progression. From Scout to Marine. Marine to Veteran. Veteran to Leader. The teeth or hides of the slain creatures could be like a mark of status? The idea of a necklace to represent Terminator Honors is just awesome to me. But meh.

---

In the overview:

Unless the Mentor's homeworld is described in a specific Segmentum, why not make it in Pacificus?

Why burn the Fortress? Describe this further. I mean really destroy the sucker. :)

How is the current population forbidden to interact with the refugees? It may not be a big deal but this jumped out at me.

The chapter also brought along samples of species that were important to the Tethyian culture, These have been introduced into the new environment and has caused signficant changes in the planet's biosphere. only time will tell what the ramifications of their actions will be.

A few centuries have passed since the introduction of new species. Wouldn't something be known?

The Submersible Fortress: your notes are worthy to be put in the IA imo. It's a big universe, why not have this happen?

---

Ok, now for the bugger ... the destruction of Tethys and the effects:

My first thought was, "what?" Then as I was reviewing the comments made it seems the idea is going everywhere. You mentioned how this is central to your idea so it has to stay in. The challenge is what is the final result?

Not that my opinion has any weight - but the idea of the "planetoid" is just fine. But I REALLY like the idea that the Sharks tried to do something about it, only to fail. That failure shames them to the point they must perform a huge humanitarian effort.

The Badab War is an opportunity, not out of greed, but as relief. If the Sharks insist on recruiting from Tethyian stock then a home must be found for the population to flourish. Simple enough. Again, the challenge is using the right words to convey the idea. But getting a world because of their participation seems to touch at something silly - like greed. But the angle of "zeal" is more valid but still weak imo.

So the suggestion of them just find a water planet is quite simply ... the most simple way to get what you want. They just find it.

The Sharks used man and material while a space-born Chapter. That must have taken a heavy toll. Maybe, after the War the Sharks demanded the Mentors' homeworld - both as punishment and restitution.

---

Fianlly, do you take orders for artwork to be done for other Chapters?

:cuss

Thanks for the imput guys, here are some responses...

Why the decision of not having Landspeeders. I would think that on an aquatic world or a Chater that specializes in aquatic warfare would rely heavily on these. I can see these them actually being modified so that they float. Same thing with bikes,...possibly some use of the vehicle desighn rules for small hover bikes?
Mainly because with the trait system it was the closest disadvantage to my vision of the chapter. I agree that Landspeeders would be vital (I actually plan on using a squadron with my army) The restriction really applies more to the bikes. With both Tethys & Thethys Secundus being aquatic worlds, the Space Sharks don't train with bikes as much as other chapter as they don't fit into their primary modus operandi.

Finally, I would simply go with the idea that your boys are fighting Badab War for one reason and one reason only; because its the right thing to do. Not for personal gain, not out of contempt, but because its the will of the Emperor.

And that is essentially what they are doing. However finding a new homeworld is vital to the survival of their chapter so that tends to weigh heavily in their decisions.

The badge was the Shark over the star - so i think that's the original icon
I have never seen it officially used (at least on the few rare minis I've seen pictures of from back in the day. Personally I don't care for it, but as to not totally disregard it, I have decided that it is the insignia that the Sharks award to IG units that pass there training course.

If it were up to me I would make the Sharks a White Scar successor. It is in line with the Scars' ferocity and tribalism (which may be an inherant trait). But it's yours and Dorn is not a bad choice at all. Go for it.

I had initially thought about WS geneseed, however I felt they had enough weirdness going on without tossing that in the pot so to speak. Besides, the Space Sharks are fairly civilized. While they recruit from tribal peoples, they are not tribal in there operations (like DA for example) though their common ancestry does color their outlook to a certain degree.

I like the idea of making a new world like what they knew before.
Thanks, I thought the notion of trying to recapture something that had been lost was an interesting notion.

Why burn the Fortress? Describe this further. I mean really destroy the sucker.

I should have said they razed it to the ground. While the Imperium forgave the Mantis Warriors, the Sharks did not. They saw the place as unholy/tainted ground and had to have it cleansed.

How is the current population forbidden to interact with the refugees?
This will make more since when I get my maps completed, but basically the main continent is sorta doughnut shaped. The original population are only allowed to live in the inner areas of the continent. The islanders view the continent as the land of the Gods so they steer clear of it.

A few centuries have passed since the introduction of new species. Wouldn't something be known?

Actually it's been just under a hunderd years (The Badab conflict ended in 912.M41 IIRC) and the effects might not be fully appreciated until a few more millenia have passed.

Ok, now for the bugger ... the destruction of Tethys and the effects:

My first thought was, "what?" Then as I was reviewing the comments made it seems the idea is going everywhere. You mentioned how this is central to your idea so it has to stay in. The challenge is what is the final result?

Not that my opinion has any weight - but the idea of the "planetoid" is just fine. But I REALLY like the idea that the Sharks tried to do something about it, only to fail. That failure shames them to the point they must perform a huge humanitarian effort.

The Badab War is an opportunity, not out of greed, but as relief. If the Sharks insist on recruiting from Tethyian stock then a home must be found for the population to flourish. Simple enough. Again, the challenge is using the right words to convey the idea. But getting a world because of their participation seems to touch at something silly - like greed. But the angle of "zeal" is more valid but still weak imo.

So the suggestion of them just find a water planet is quite simply ... the most simple way to get what you want. They just find it.

The Sharks used man and material while a space-born Chapter. That must have taken a heavy toll. Maybe, after the War the Sharks demanded the Mentors' homeworld - both as punishment and restitution.

Okay, I see what you are saying. Let me sum up my current thoughts on the matter.

Let me sum up my current thoughts on the matter.

Ahh ... this works! I like the idea. :P It removes "greed" and "promising".

Destined is another matter that has more weight.

Nice to see you're still working on the project. :) I really like your artwork, particularly the one in the first post with the Marine sporting a fin on his helmet (The first picture in that post). Very cool. I would like to comment on one thing:

Actually it's been just under a hunderd years (The Badab conflict ended in 912.M41 IIRC) and the effects might not be fully appreciated until a few more millenia have passed.

You can witness this kind of effect in environment in a very small amount of time, even in just 30 years. 87 years would be more than enough to see the kind of devastation this kind of thing brings. Understand, bringing outside species into an area can cause MAJOR environmental damage, this is why airports and the like are always checking for incoming animal species. Just look at the Brown Tree Snake's effect on Guam; it was brought there between the end of WW2 and 1952. In a VERY short amount of time it exterminated a massive amount of Guam's native vertebrate species, and a similar effect can be shown in Hawai'i, which has no native snake species.

And these aren't species taken from one planet to another, they're all from the same planet! The distance they're being transported is relatively short (Between a few hundred and a few thousand miles), but that's a great enough distance that the predators are being introduced to what amounts to a virgin environment that has no defenses to the predator, so it has a massive food source and no hazards to worry about.

I can't even begin to imagine the sort of disaster that could come from interplanetary species being brought over.

However, this does introduce the possibility of the Space Sharks being dangerously close to repeating history. The potential environmental fall-out witnessed over the past few years could put the planet teetering on the edge of self-collapse as flora and fauna from their former planet are waging war on this planet's natural species. And when that kind of thing happens, regardless who wins, the environment loses. To the Space Marines this may not be such a great deal, but to the humans they've carried in their ship, it would be life-threatening. Both to them, and the natural planetary inhabitants. This would give them somewhat of a Lamenters' feel of bad luck, only this is bad luck with good intention (Which we all know paves the way to Hell). This gives a sense of gloom to set them firmly in the grim, dark future of the 41st century. Also a sense of urgency; if they don't fix the problem, they're going to be out of a home again, and their original homeplanet's population probably couldn't manage another hundred year trip through space.

Just something you may want to think over.

EDIT:

Imperial Fist geneseed is getting a lot of use these days (Red Scorpions, which share that geneseed I believe, have brought a lot of interest to that source). Actually just about every geneseed is getting a lot of use except the poor Ultramarines. However, the large divergence of this Chapter, if the Space Sharks were Ultramarine stock, would tend to make them another "Mortifactors" (ie, Black sheep of the Geneseed). I say just use whichever works, since geneseed doesn't necessarily dictate how a Chapter turns out anyway.

I wrote this bit about the Space Sharks and Badab, let me know what you think...

The small sleek gunship began it's approach. A hanger door opened on the side of the strike cruiser, and the small ship slid into the landing bay. As it settled to the deck jets of exhaust jetted from the engine nacelles.

A boarding ramp slid from the side of the craft as the hatch opened it it's side. A hooded figure strode purposefully out of the ship, his storm coat billowing around him. At the bottom of the ramp a space marine stood waiting. The figure strode up to him and held out a small badge of office.

"I need to speak to your commander, now."

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

The doors to the chamber opened and the Inquisitor waited at the door to be recognised. At the end of the chamber a small dias rose from the floor. A Command chair set upon it, and upon the chair set Commander Charcarov of the Space Sharks. He was addressing one of his captains about the disposition of the chapter's fleet.

The inquisitor regarded the two marines. Both men were massive, huge in presence as much as stature. The captain cut an impressive figure, clad in tactical dreadnought armor traced with gold. At his side hung the largest chainsword that the inquisitor had ever seen. He marveled that even one of the Emperor’s genetically enhanced sons could lift it, much less wield it effectively in combat. A cape the color of blood hung from the captain's armor as well as chains bedecked in huge white shark’s teeth. His narrow strip of hair was bleached white against his tan skin. The captain radiated the menace of the deep sea predators for which his chapter was named.

Charcarov was another story entirely. If the captain was a shark, then his master was the sea itself. The commander exuded ancient power and the strength of the ocean. The inquisitor looked into the depths of his dead black eyes and quailed despite himself.

The chapter master concluded his business with the captain and turned to greet his guest.

"Advance and make yourself known." His sonorous voice rolled across the room like a tidal wave.

"Inquistor Falke of the Ordo Xenos of his Blessed Majesty’s most holy Inquisition. I have come to seek assistance of this chapter on a matter most urgent. As you may have heard, Commander Huron of the Astral Claws has turned from the Emperor’s grace and broken his system from the rule of the Imperium. As bad as this is he has convinced others to forsake their oaths as well."

"I have heard of his treachery and arrogance. What is it that you ask of us?"

"As you are well aware, a marine chapter is a formidable foe, let alone when they are supported by their wayward bretheren. Before the Imperial forces can launch an assualt on Badab itself we must neutralize the threat presented by the other chapters that have flocked to his banner.’

’I have been instructed to relay the following mission to you. Your chapter has been charged with disrupting the actions of the Mantis Warriors. You are to proceed to their homeworld and lay siege to it. The chapter will be forced to reroute their forces to defend their home, leaving the way clear for the main thrust toward Huron and Badab itself."

"The Mantis Warriors? It's hard to believe so valiant a chapter has turned it's back on their duty. We have crusaded together before, and they were worthy companions. "

"Are you refusing your duty commander?" Inquisitor Falke suggested accusingly.

The commander's face darkened and wrath of the ocean boiled behind his eyes. "The Space Sharks do not fail in their duty inquisitor, and it would do you well to remember who's house you are in before making such a statement.’

’Run back to your masters and tell them that the Space Sharks will heed their call. The Mantis Warriors shall be punished for their insolence and will soon learn the price of treason. Now be gone..."

As the Inquisitor left the chamber another figure appeared from a side chamber. The codicier bowed before the commander and handed him a piece of parchment. The commanders flicked across the information before looking up again at the librarian.

"Are these auguries correct?"

"It appears so my lord, We have re-checked them three times already. The portents indicate that a new world awaits us. We need but enter the fires of war once more and be cleansed of our shame."

Charcarov turned to look at the chapter banner hanging above the dais, his eyes coming to rest on the scrollwork emblazoned with a single name, Tethys. " Ironic that we must destroy another world to reclaim the home we lost."

The chapter master punched a button on his desk and spoke with voice drenched in hope and resolve. " Sgt. Soral, send word to the Captains that I require their presence immediately, and let the fleet know that we go to war once more. For Glory, For Tethys!"

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Inquisitor Falke settled into the grav couch of his gunship, a wry smile upon his lips. It was always so easy to get a space marine to do as you wished, you just had to push the right buttons.

As the small craft darted away from the cruiser, a signal was sent out that the Sharks were coming.

I wanted to express in story form what I was talking about. Not sure if it works or not. Comments are greatly appreciated. ;)

It was very short, but I liked it. Especially how you kept the ocean theme going with the Chapter Master throughout the whole piece.

One thing though:

The chapter master punched a button a button on his desk and spoke with voice drenched in hope and resolve.

Simple replication, easily fixed.

I intend to keep a close eye on how your Space Sharks go, as I'll be launching an IA for another of the chapters involved in the Badab Uprising soon enough. With Molotov and Race Bannon on the scene, I don't think I can offer much better criticism... so I'll just wait until your next update. :wink:

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and I love the art too!

Simple replication, easily fixed.
Done & Done... thanks! :wacko:

I intend to keep a close eye on how your Space Sharks go, as I'll be launching an IA for another of the chapters involved in the Badab Uprising soon enough.

Which chapter, might I ask?

The Star Phantoms. The other gits who managed to capture a planet. Seems you're going for the Mantis Legion's homeworld, so I'll grab the Executioners' place.

It'll be the second GW created chapter that I've fluffed out, just incase some guy up there decides to make some crap for one or the other. Hopefully this next one will be as good as the last!

Got a question or 5 Why in the story is the inquisitor from the Ordo Xenos? I thought Ordo Hereticus might make more sense. BTW your artwork is really inspiring, as well as the fluff you created.

If you are collecting the 5th company, would you mind me collecting the third company?

in the story, would it make sense for the characters to have names of the same backgound? Are you basing the Thethys natives on an actual human race, and therefore have names representing that? With a name such as captain tiberius, it would lead me to believe that the SS geneseed is Ultramarines (which is still highly cool), and that they have romanesque names.

Archived