IA: Space Sharks

Cpt_Tiberius

Rust is a good possibility. I could practically hear the creaking while I typed.

Tiberius:

I understand about the Dreadnoughts. I thought that more Dreadnoughts meant they physically had more of them as opposed to using them more often. I could perfectly understand the Space Sharks relying on their entombed brethren more and more as their numbers dwindled, but I was confused on how they got all the extra sarcophagi.

Your point is well taken about using seeds and eggs to transport the animals. I was tired at the time and kept thinking something along the terms of Noah's Ark, with the Space Sharks herding animals onto their battle barge. Using the eggs and seeds makes far more sense, though obviously adds difficulty in a few areas (Planting and whatnot on Secundus).

Mol:

My initial thought was only that insignificant was too harsh of a word. Certainly, though, the idea of a barely useful world being shot into the status of an Astartes homeworld is an appealing one. Like all of my comments, it's only tossing out suggestions that might lead to more ideas.

About the auspicious omen, I can certainly understand not wanting to go that route. Like I said in my comments, it was just throwing out an idea with the knowledge that it's probably not a good idea in the end.

I know most of the article is just written in noted format, I just wanted to say where I looked forward to reading the elaborations. I know how extensive your articles are and I expect that everything worth noting will be noted.

You're right about not needing to detail how everything got there, and it's just an example of me getting caught up in the details. I just thought it was something to consider, but certainly the important part is that, however they did it, they did it and now are dealing with the consequences. And just because you're not writing a novel about it now doesn't mean you won't ever write one! :woot:

I didn't really imagine them being as close to the Tethians as the Salamanders are. I was just looking to find out exactly what they were doing if it wasn't hanging out in the monastery (Which I assumed it was) or visiting with the Tethians themselves. I think exploring their fondness for their world is a good idea and will make for good depth to the Chapter's overall character.

I had asked about the Tethians' handling of the situation, again, because I was caught up in details like how they're maintaining a viable population while also continuing to war against other tribes. In the end though, as you said with the animals, it doesn't really matter how they ended up where they are. I also didn't know that the Tethians weren't aware of ever being transported, which I think is a nice touch and avoids a lot of those needless questions. Nothing like being instantly teleported to safehood by the gods! In the IA, I had thought that the Chapter Master spoke with the tribes and told them what was happening, but obviously I misunderstood whatever it was I read.

As I said before, the name itself is perfectly fine the way it is now. My suggestion was only a slightly smoother alternative that really doesn't make any big difference in the end.

I'm not sure who holds which points of contention, but I agree that the Sharks' water combat should play a relatively secondary role. Having jump packs that can also function underwater and whatnot is fine, but as I recall, originally they had their landspeeders and whatnot going underwater as well. I think fighting in the water would be more of a relatively rare chance to be one with Monatoa, rather than the main focus of the Chapter as it once was. Certainly, though, knowing how to fight in water would be a lot of help in zero-g environments, which might explain why they're so adept at boarding actions. Blow the artificial gravity on an enemy ship, then storm it and gracefully slaughter the clumsy occupants as they fight to gain their bearings. Contributing some notes on their experiences with water combat would be a fair statement. However, overall I think the Chapter is healthier without needing the specialty in shore assaults and whatnot.

I didn't know that about the Grey Knights, but it makes sense. Again, I probably just got caught in the details. It was just another consideration I was throwing out there for you and Tiberius to look at.

I'm glad I was able to be of some help, despite all the rust and kinks. Been a long time since I've done any kind of reviewing, but it felt good to delve back into the process.

Sharks Draft III: Expect fairly rapid edits.

Sharks of the Spaceway

INDEX ASTARTES: SPACE SHARKS

Origins

M
any of the Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes adopt the name of a particularly ferocious beast, mythical or real, in the hopes of imbuing their warriors with similar attributes. Such is the case with the Space Sharks, a Chapter of the Fifth Founding. The Chapter has gained many glories, participating in campaigns such as the Alvatine Suppression and the Egammonon Revolt. It is, however, their participation in the Badab War for which they are best known.

The Chapter is known to have descended from the Imperial Fists of Rogal Dorn; the first Master of the newly-created Chapter was a Captain of the Imperial Fists by the name of Peleus. Records drawn from the Librarium of the Space Sharks tell many tales of Peleus. A dutiful and pious warrior, drawn from the massive hives of Necromunda, Peleus had garnered great honours, both for himself and for his Chapter.

Granted command of a newly-founding Chapter, Peleus was tasked with reinforcing defences in the Segmentum Pacificus. Even a millennia after the Horus Heresy, great tracts of the Southern Fringes still knew not the Emperor's light. Peleus and his warriors fought boldly in defence of the Emperor, but the battles took their toll and soon they required new recruits. It became increasingly obvious to Peleus that the Chapter would have to seek out a refuge. The Chapter's Librarians consulted the Imperial Tarot and determined that a small, insignificant planet would provide the Chapter with its identity, heraldry and name. Peleus decreed that they would travel to the world the Emperor had chosen for them.

Its name was Tethys.

Homeworld

O
nce the fleet arrived at Tethys, Peleus began to appreciate why he had been directed to such a world. A man born in the Hives of Necromunda can toil for his entire life beneath a steel sky without ever seeing the sun. Since his elevation, Peleus had seen many sights of wonder in the Emperor's service. But all paled before the natural beauty of Tethys. Tethys had been classified by the Imperium as a deathworld; fully eight-tenths of the surface was covered in water, whilst the population spread itself over the island chains covering the rest of the world. These inhabitants had been forced back into primitivism after being cut of from the majority of the Imperium, and had adapted to life on an aquatic planet. The many tribes had an almost symbiotic relationship with the ocean; they made their clothes from the skins of semi-aquatic marine mammals, their tools from the teeth of predators and the majority of their diet from extensive fishing. The oceans played host to particularly large sharks, vicious marine predators that posed a great threat to the Humans. The Tribes of Tethys had even come to worship the Emperor as Monatoa, a ferocious Shark deity.

The Tribes were led by Chieftains, known as Kalani. The Chiefs were not born to the position, but were elected by their peers. Skilled warriors, experts at interpreting the tempestuous seas, the Kalani would lead their Tribe into combat to occupy fishing territories and the meagre tracts of land. Yet even the Chieftains would yield to the wisdom of Tribal Shamans. The Shamans of Tethys were credits with supernatural powers which were said to be the gift of Monatoa. (Expand)

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/ss-vetmarine.jpg
Space Sharks Veteran
Confronted by Peleus and his warriors, massively broad men clad in burnished battle-plate and armed with the weapons of war, the Tribes greeted them as 'Keiki', a Tethyian word that meant 'Children'. Whilst such an epithet might have seemed out of place for the Astartes, it was a great honour indeed. The Tethyians considered them the Children of Monatoa, powerful fighters that had no rival. The Tethyian word Keiki was also applied to the Tethyian sharks. Taking his inspiration from these mighty creatures, Peleus named his Chapter the Space Sharks. Rigorous genetic testing revealed that the tribes would make admirable recruits for the Chapter. And so Tethys became the homeworld of the Space Sharks.

Monatoa and the Deep Ones

Whatever their differences, all the tribes of Tethys tell the tale of Monatoa. It is said that when Humans first came to Tethys, they were entirely unaware that the planet was already inhabited. These creatures were aquatic, said to live in the deepest trenches of the Tethyian oceans. Great tentacle-like feelers clustered what passed for their faces, which sat atop grotesque, scaly bodies. Their limbs ended in prodigious claws, and they were said to possess an insatiable hunger for human flesh. The two societies inevitably came into conflict, and the humans were almost annihilated in a short but brutal war.

It was then that Monatoa came to the Tethyian people. Alone, He went alone to fight the enemy, slaying their debased God. Without the evil power of their deity, the Deep Ones were driven back and utterly exterminated, ensuring the dominion of Humanity over Tethys.

The legend of Monatoa has perplexed Imperial scholars; The tale itself has been passed down in stories by the Tethyian tribes; as such the events may have been corrupted, or, indeed, may have no real basis in truth. Whilst it has been suggested that the tale of a Monatoa is a corruption of real events involving the Emperor, no historical account exists of the Emperor ever visiting Tethys during the Great Crusade, and it has proven problematic to discern a time where such a battle could have been fought. Faced with such problems, events have been made to link a number of the Primarchs (both loyal and traitor) with the story; these have all proven futile.

It is even possible that 'Monatoa' was a particularly skilled colonist, a colonist attributed with greater and greater feats through the millennia. The truth will likely never be known.

Tethys served as the homeworld of the Space Sharks for over eight thousand years, until 781.M41.

-> Tethys was struck by a disaster which the Space Sharks could not prevent (and, in fact, inadvertantly caused). A rogue planetoid was hurtling towards Tethys. The Sharks attempted to destroy it, but it shattered into many smaller pieces, each as lethal. The Sharks decided to evacuate the planet, knowing that they had failed to save their homeworld and consigned the Tethyian people to an existence trapped in the metal confines of a Space Ship.

-> Inhabitants placed in suspended animation. Chapter Master approached them and told them they would be travelling to a new world.

For two hundred years the Chapter searched for a suitable world. Unable to recruit, their numbers dwindled dangerously.

-> The Sharks participated in the Badab War after the Mantis Warriors attacked a fellow Chapter of Astartes. The Sharks had campaigned with the Mantis Warriors and considered them worthy comrades. They Sharks were stung by the betrayal of the Mantis Warriors. Entered the Badab War determined to bring the rebellious Chapters to heel.

-> Awarded the homeworld of the Mantis Warriors for their participation in the Badab War. Transplanted the survivors and samples of flora and fauna. The world was renamed Tethys Secundus. The Fortress-Monastery of the Mantis Warriors was razed to the ground and the original populace were displaced.

- Tethys Secundus is the third planet in a system of five, and is the only one capable of supporting life. Dominated by water, but not to the extent of Tethys. The original population has been displaced to the planet's largest continent, and have been forbidden (on pain of death) from contacting the Tethyian populace. After this forcible relocation, the Space Sharks have taken an indifferent stance towards the original population. Their only interaction is to forcibly punish any infraction of their edict. They would never consider them as a recruiting population.

-> Life for the Tethyians has returned to much as it was before the exodus. Feral tribes utilising natural resources and existing as hunters and gatherers. The tribes tend to stick to their islands and their traditional fishing grounds. Large stone idols warn curious islanders away from potential contact with the native population.

-> The Sharks are attempting to recapture the lost world of Tethys, but are in danger of devastating their second homeworld as the native flora and fauna of Tethys battles for survival against the ecosystem of Tethys Secundus.

-> When not at war, the Sharks spend much of their time on their homeworld. Not Salamander-esque, the Sharks attempt not to disrupt the Tethyian people too much, aside from recruiting. The people accept them as the Children of Monatoa. 'Keiki' - word that refers to the Space Sharks and the Sharks of the Ocean.

Beliefs

N
aturally, after many millennia recruiting from Tethys, the Space Sharks have absorbed a great deal of the culture and belief system of the Tethyian tribesmen. Foremost among these beliefs is the representation of the Emperor as Monatoa, the 'Great Hunter'. Indeed, the Space Sharks will occasionally refer to themselves as the 'Children of Monatoa', thankful that in His wisdom, He has seen fit to imbue them with some measure of the preternatural skill of the hunter. Representations of Monatoa vary dramatically, both among the Tethyian tribes and the Sharks themselves. Sometimes He is shown in a style that would not be out of place in any Ecclesiarchal cathedral; a figure clearly recognisable as the Emperor, imbued with characteristics inherent among Sharks, such as skill, strength and speed. However, Monatoa is often represented by animalistic totems of an anthropromorphic Shark deity. Such a representation is worrisome indeed; few can forget the fate of the Steel Cobras, a Chapter whose worship of the Emperor as an animal totem led to their recent excommunication. The Sharks have, thus far, escaped such a fate and their participation in the Badab War has gained them many prominent allies.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Space_Shark.jpg
Space Sharks Veteran Sergeant, Third Company

This dual represention of Monatoa, as the beneficent Human and the unforgiving Shark, can be reflected in the Space Sharks, also. The Sharks consider themselves bound to the Tethyian people, and such a belief is valid; After all, the Tethyian tribes provide the Chapter with excellent recruits and a deeply-valued identity. The Space Marines cannot exist without the cultures they recruit from. One need only consider the extreme lengths the Chapter went to in order to safeguard the Tethyian tribes during their exodus to realise how the importance placed upon them. The striking dichotomy between the brutality of the Astartes at war and their deep compassion for the Tethyian people is stark.

The Librarians of the Space Sharks are deeply respected, said to be able to read the future through discerning the meaning of omens and portents. All Sharks are told the tale of Peleus, and how a portent brought him to Tethys. A deep respect is held among the Brethren for the Librarians of the Chapter, able to the glimpse the unknowable secrets of Monatoa through the skeins of the Immaterium. Rather than utilising the traditional Imperial Tarot, the Librarians of the Chapter are known to carry a pouch of Shark's teeth. Each set of teeth has been passed down from Librarian to Librarian. The oldest set is held by the Chapter's Chief Librarian, and has been in the Chapter's possession since Peleus and his warriors first arrived on Tethys. Each tooth is marked with a traditional Tethyian pictogram upon one side. Each image has a profound meaning, and the Librarians will cast the teeth, the orientation and proximity of one tooth to another providing the Caster with great insights into the course of action the Chapter must take. None among the Sharks would be foolish enough to question the most skilled of the Casters.

Such primitive (though powerful) beliefs have penetrated the Chapter entirely. The Tethyian people believe that a person's real (or 'true') name is a valuable commodity that must be vigilantly safeguarded. Knowledge of a person's true name grants you considerable power over them; it would be possible to sell a Tethyian's soul to the Dark Gods of Chaos if their true name was known. As a result, the people of Tethys adopt names that can be used for everyday purposes. Ordinarily, only a Tethyian's closest family will ever known his true name. It is considered an incredible honour to be told a Tethyian's true name; it means that he has judged you and believes you will protect his greatest secret.

This practice has been adopted by the Space Sharks; given that they are confronted by the multitudinous threats assailing the Imperium in this dark millennium, it is only natural that they should wish to protect themselves in every way possible. A warrior of the Space Sharks will use his true Tethyian name among his Battle-Brothers; after all, the warriors of the Chapter are bound by blood, and hold no secrets from each other. However, when initiated into the Chapter, the neophyte will adopt an Imperial name that he can use with communicating with those outside the Chapter. For example, the great Captain Tiberius was born Tae Biiroush, a name that means "the strength of the depths of the ocean".

Strength is something important to the Space Sharks. Warriors will regularly undergo strenuous tests of skill and strength in order to prove themselves worthy of Monatoa's gift and the respect of their brethren. Diving into the depths of the Tethyian oceans for extended periods of time is common, whilst all Space Sharks are required to hunt and kill a Tethyian Shark in order to progress to the rank of Veteran. As a result, many Veterans carry necklaces and charms that incorporate the teeth of these mighty beasts so that they might be imbued with the blessings of Monatoa. Equally, many of the Chapter acquire large tattoos that cover large portions of their body. An ancient Tethyian practice, the tattoos are intended to make a warrior appear more threatening, but also to express his rage and sorrow. Invariably, older warriors will have more tattoos than younger ones, as his fellows die. In the aftermath of the devastation of Tethys, tattooing became an almost mandatory as the Chapter sought a physical expression of their grief.

The Space Sharks believe that as the Children of Monatoa, it is their duty to defend the Imperium; Indeed, to do so is to protect Monatoa Himself. Such a deep and profound belief can help scholars understand the incandescent rage the Sharks nursed during the Badab War. That any Chapter of the Astartes should consider themselves above the word of Monatoa is unthinkable. Whilst the High Lords of Terra have forgiven the Mantis Warriors, Lamenters and Executioners, the Sharks of Tethys cannot brook such flagrant and heretical disregard for the Emperor. They see no distinction between the 'misguided' Mantis Warriors and the Astral Claws of Lufgt Huron.

When not in War, the Sharks are deeply fascinated with exploration and discovery. They have voluntarily joined many Rogue Trader expeditions over the course of their history. Within their extensive Librarium, the Sharks are said to have one of the largest collections of star-charts in the Imperium, outside of the great Merchant Houses. The source of this fascination is unknown, though some say it stems from the people of Tethys standing beneath a starry sky, wishing to be one with Monatoa.

Organisation

A
lthough the Space Sharks could be considered a 'Codex-Adherent' Chapter, such a term is perhaps only applied in the broadest of senses. The Chapter maintains ten Companies of Marines, though upon even the most cursory of examinations, the differences between the Sharks and a more orthodox Chapter become apparent. Whilst the First Company consists of the Chapter's veterans and the Tenth Company hosts the Chapter's newest recruits, the other eight Companies would all be considered Battle-Companies, comprising a mix of various squad designations.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/spaceshark-stealth.jpg
A Child of Monatoa

The Chapter's ten Captains are each hardened warriors. They are all very different individuals, and differences of opinion are commonplace. The Captain's duty is, after all, to coordinate his Company's actions and to orchestrate their victories in the manner that he deems best. As such, each of the Battle-Companies can be considered as seperate organisations, shaped around the preferences of the current Captain. This organisation means that the Sharks are capable of meeting a wide variety of threats. However, the lack of any traditional Reserve means that many of the Battle-Companies are smaller than their counterparts in other Chapters, due to casualties sustained. Often, a Space Shark deployment will consist of multiple Battle-Companies, with attached support from the First and Tenth Companies.

What happens when two Captains want a particularly promising recruit due to rise above the Tenth Company?

NOTE: Pride for Company and Captain.

-> Fleet comprised mainly of Strike Cruisers and smaller vessels.

-> Large numbers of dreadnoughts.

Combat Doctrine

T
he Space Sharks are as vicious in war as their aquatic namesakes. Though the Chapter pays due homage to the Codex Astartes, and respects Roboute Guilliman for his efforts, the Space Sharks favour the traditional Tethyian ways of war, focusing upon swift and decisive attacks that hit home with ferocious force. For the Astartes, this has translated into a particular style of warfare that is brutal, direct and uncompromising. Typically, the forces of the Sharks will probe the enemy forces for a weak point. Once the enemy weakness is identified and the path to victory is revealed, the bulk of the force will attack directly, focusing their forces in order to bring a quick death to the enemy. The execution of this tactic can vary widely depending on the preferences of the Captain (or Captains) involved and the forces at their disposal. Typically, the forward elements that probe the enemy will consist of Tenth Company scouts or a fast attack element. Lightning-fast attacks by highly mobile forces can presage the arrival of a far deadlier force. It is not uncommon for the Sharks to deploy via a drop pod assault directly into the fray.

The Space Sharks have an understandable affinity for water, coming from a planet with few large land-masses. This has lead them to consider the aquatic in a way that few Chapters do. Much of their equipment is altered to operate underwater, if necessary, and the Chapter has been recorded carrying out daring amphibious assaults, attacking from an unexpected quarter so as to utterly devastate their enemies. The Commanders of the Space Sharks have even prepared a number of treatises on aquatic warfare, treatises that have been included within the hallowed Codex Astartes.

During their lengthy history, the Space Sharks have gained a reputation for their proficiency in ship-to-ship boarding actions. In the narrow confines of a starship's corridors, the superiority of the Adeptus Astartes is self-evident, and their lack of numbers is entirely irrelevant. Their brutal assaults have claimed many victories. It is interesting to note that their experience of learning how to fight in the waters of Tethys are of great use in zero-gravity environments. On occasions, the Sharks have destroyed artificial gravity-generators aboard their target ships, storming it with ease whilst the occupants struggle to overcome their disorientation.

The Space Sharks maintain an extensive fleet of small vessels; indeed, the Chapter only maintains a single Battle-Barge, the PLACEHOLDER NAME HERE, preferring instead to swarm larger, more ponderous craft before disgorging boarding torpedoes and Thunderhawk gun-ships. Their skill at boarding was perhaps most famously demonstrated during the Badab War, where the Sharks conducted many vicious attacks against the Mantis Warriors' fleet.

Markings

O
nce inducted into the Chapter, the Space Sharks don grey armour, a colour that honours both the giant creatures that populate their homeworld and the Great Hunter, Monatoa. The Sharks' Chapter badge is a simplistic tribal depiction of Monatoa, displaying to their enemies that they bear the blessing their God. In certain records, the Sharks have been noted as displaying a different Chapter symbol, that of a swimming shark with a star upon its back. Some scholars have disputed the veracity of these records, claiming that they are a fabrication. Others have suggested that the Space Sharks adopted this altered symbol during their exodus from Tethys. The star upon the Shark's back could well be a representation of the burden they carried - their responsibility to find a new home for the inhabitants of Tethys. This alternate Chapter badge has not been sighted since the Sharks reclaimed Tethys Secundus, though it is conceivable that some Sharks may have adopted the symbol, as the devastation of Tethys and the exodus has deeply marked them.

It should be noted that Captains of the Space Sharks are given leave to alter their markings as needed to confuse enemy attempts to gather information as to disposition and strength. However, common markings can be discerned by determined scholars. The right pauldron of the Sharks' armour will typically display squad markings. It should be noted that the Sharks adhere to orthodox markings as proscribed in the Codex Astartes. This adherence is not strict, however; the Sharks display company affilitation with a number upon their right kneepad.

All Space Sharks adorn their helmet with a Blood-Stripe running down their face. This was once a veteran marking for the Chapter, but during the exodus from Tethys, the Chapter was so depleted that Veterans were the vast majority of the Chapter. The Blood-Stripe commemorates the bloody path that the Chapter followed to win its new homeworld. Veterans can be distinguished by the shark tooth totems they wear as badges of honour; they have also been noted to paint a marking known as the 'blood maw' upon their left kneepad to mark themselves as Veterans of the First Company. The Space Sharks have been noted to paint shark-mouth markings on their vehicles in order to imbue them with the blessing of Monatoa and unnerve enemy forces.

Geneseed

A
depts of the Adeptus Biologicus would perhaps consider the Tethyian people to be abhumans, though their minor mutations fall well within acceptable limits. The average Tethyian stands taller than a typical Human, with broader shoulders and slightly larger hands and feet. Whilst this is the case, the Brothers of the Space Sharks are, for the most part, indistinguishable from other Astartes warriors. It has been noted, however, that the irises of the Space Sharks' eyes are enlarged, and entirely black. Such an unnerving sight has been speculated to derive from a minor mutation in the occulobe, though it has been suggested that the interaction between the Tethyian gene-pool and the gene-seed of Rogal Dorn has had an unexpected side-effect - the Adeptus Mechanicus have been unable to replicate this mutation with gene-seed taken from the Space Sharks' tithes. As successors of the Imperial Fists, the Sharks are known to lack the Betcher's Gland and the Sus-An Membrane.

-----

Nomenclature of the Space Sharks

Table I
Chapter Master [/td] Caracharius
Master of Sanctity Ali'ikai Antiquus
Chief Librarian
1st Company Captain Peloq Pelagus
2nd Company Captain Manatos Drusian
3rd Company Captain Tae Biiroush Tiberius
4th Company Captain Cyriacus, Watcher of the Tide
5th Company Captain Kalasa Clasiarus
6th Company Captain Lanakila Linnaeus
7th Company Captain Isurus
8th Company Captain
9th Company Captain
10th Company Captain

The Chapter has gained many glories,

Traditionally, isn't it "much glory"?

The Tribes were led by Chieftains, known as Kalani. The Chiefs were not born to the position, but were elected by their peers. Skilled warriors, experts at interpreting the tempestuous seas, the Kalani would lead their Tribe into combat to occupy fishing territories and the meagre tracts of land. Yet even the Chieftains would yield to the wisdom of Tribal Shamans. The Shamans of Tethys were credits with supernatural powers which were said to be the gift of Monatoa. (Expand)

Personally, I'm not sure you need to expand this bit. If you already have the ideas, go for it, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. This is an IA, not a novel.

Whilst such an epithet might have seemed out of place for the Astartes, it was a great honour indeed.

Epithet carries an overtone of insult. Thus, I think you might want to choose another word, or the sentence becomes rather contradictory.

Faced with such problems, events have been made to link a number of the Primarchs (both loyal and traitor) with the story; these have all proven futile.

I think you mean efforts, not events.

- Tethys Secundus is the third planet in a system of five, and is the only one capable of supporting life. Dominated by water, but not to the extent of Tethys. The original population has been displaced to the planet's largest continent, and have been forbidden (on pain of death) from contacting the Tethyian populace. After this forcible relocation, the Space Sharks have taken an indifferent stance towards the original population. Their only interaction is to forcibly punish any infraction of their edict. They would never consider them as a recruiting population.

What was the original population like? How have they taken this?

For example, the great Captain Tiberius was born Tae Biiroush, a name that means "the strength of the depths of the ocean".

If that's his true name, why the hell would he tell some IA chronicler? :)

If not, carry on. :D

In the aftermath of the devastation of Tethys, tattooing became an almost mandatory as the Chapter sought a physical expression of their grief.

What about the younger warriors, who never knew Tethys? Extra tattoos, for sorrow over that, or fewer since they don't know what they've lost?

Like the last one, tis very good. Though the shark stuff is getting a little bit heavy. Just a little, mind.

I did mean for it to be an epithet - I didn't think most people would associate 'Child' with the Astartes. I'll re-word the sentence to make it clearer, though.

With regards to Tiberius - stop thinking that the IA article is an in-universe thing. It's not; it occupies a place between omniscience and ignorance. After all, the Dark Angels IA mentions the Fallen, which wouldn't be told to 'some IA chronicler'. :D

Epithet carries an overtone of insult. Thus, I think you might want to choose another word, or the sentence becomes rather contradictory.

I see what you mean, and I see Mol's point as well. I agree that epithet, might not be the right word, but i am not sure what to put in it's place. Nick-name seems a bit out of character. hmm. I'll discuss with the august commisar and seek clarification...

Personally, I'm not sure you need to expand this bit. If you already have the ideas, go for it, but otherwise it seems pretty solid. This is an IA, not a novel.

You are probably correct as far as the IA goes, though I still think it might need a bit more tweaking. However there is a large amount of fluff that I am developing to flesh out the Sharks. It won't necessarily be included in the IA article, but will be fleshed out for other uses.

What was the original population like? How have they taken this?

I have made it a point to not list the name of the planet before the Space Sharks took possession, nor to describe the population that was there before. That information is part of the history of the Mantis Warriors and as far as I know hasn't been developed yet. I also feel that it is not relevant to the Sharks or their IA. However suffice it to say that the population has learned to accept the situation and moved on with their lives. It's been almost 100 years since the event and they have not risen in revolt. They are treated fairly, but for the most part are ignored. Probably have a better life than the average hive worlder at anyrate.

-T.

I see what you mean, and I see Mol's point as well. I agree that epithet, might not be the right word, but i am not sure what to put in it's place. Nick-name seems a bit out of character. hmm. I'll discuss with the august commisar and seek clarification...

I'd say the word "term" myself. If you use any kind of synonym for insult, the sentence reads as (more or less): This insult may not have seemed appropriate, but was really a compliment.

And since it wasn't meant as an insult, I'm leery of using the term.

I have made it a point to not list the name of the planet before the Space Sharks took possession, nor to describe the population that was there before. That information is part of the history of the Mantis Warriors and as far as I know hasn't been developed yet. I also feel that it is not relevant to the Sharks or their IA. However suffice it to say that the population has learned to accept the situation and moved on with their lives. It's been almost 100 years since the event and they have not risen in revolt. They are treated fairly, but for the most part are ignored. Probably have a better life than the average hive worlder at anyrate.

IIRC, there are some Black Library books where the Mantis Warriors are featured closely.

There's a difference between detailing the Mantis Warriors and detailing the native population of their former homeworld. I'm not sure I would expect books like Warrior Cover to go into detail about that sort of thing.

As far as a better word, I don't like "term". It's too bland and doesn't really fit well with names, you don't hear football players talking about their "team term". I think "monicker" would perhaps work better and be less insulting.

I read the novel with the Mantis Warriors in it and I don't remember it giving any information on their homeworld. Regardless, it's not really a concern.

Now on to other stuff...

Here are some notes that I wanted to share, and I did not think they belonged in the main IA. So here we go...

Chapter Organization -

The Space Sharks chapter was originally set-up following the dictates of the Codex Astartes. However due to the losses sustained during their exodus from Tethys the chapters is at present under-strength. The following shows the current make-up of the chapter:

1st Co. - 10 squads of veteran marines

2nd-6th Co.s - Standard codex arrangement (6-Tactical/2-Assualt/2-Devastor)

7th Co. Reserves - (4-Tactical/2-Assualt)

8th. Co. Reserves - (4- Tactical/2-Devestator)

10th Co. Scout/Training

As you can see the 1st and 10th Companies are fairly standard, but the Chapter has one more battle company than most chapters. The reserve companies are understrength, and the 9th Co. is non-existant at this time. The reserves are also split differently from standard codex chapters to allow them to act as adhoc battle companies if necessary.

Battle Companies

While the Codex Astartes states that a chapter shall be composed of 1000 battle brothers (10 companies of 10 squads of 10 marines) in practice the numbers are slightly higher. Below is the structure of a standard battle company of the chapter.

Captain

Co. Chaplain

Co. Librarian

Co. Techmarine

Dreadnoughts (varies by Company but average of 1-2)

Command Squad (10 Marines)

Tactical Squads (6 squads of 10 marines + transport)

Assualt Squads (2 squads of 10 marines)

Devestator Squads (2 Squads of 10 marines + transport)

10th Co. detachment (2 squads of 10 marines)

1st Co. detachment (2 squads of 10 marines)

Support Vehicles

You will note that both the 1st & 10th companies have detachments aligned with the battle company. These squads are for all intents considered part of the battle company for most operational missions and report directly the the Captain of said battle company. However the alignment of squads will change depending on the number of battle companies operating in a theatre and which captain has been given operational command. In the event that the entire chapter goes to war these squads would realign under their respective Company captains (1st & 10th).

Also within the Chapter members of the Reclusiam & Librarium are assigned to specific Companies. They act as support personnel for the Captain and will lead elements of the Company when missions dictate.

Support vehicles are another area that falls out of the standard Company structure as they are all part of the Chapter Motorpool and are outside the standard Company structure. Within the Space Sharks chapter Landspeeders are also considered support vehicles rather than assault squads.

Not really anything ground breaking just clarifying some of my thoughts.

-T.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment. We're still working slowly on the Sharks' IA.

As for Tiberius's artwork, I've collected all of his Shark-related artwork, and you can see it here:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Linnaeusaltered.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/SPSHK-Pencil.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Coru-lorez.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/spaceshark-attack.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/spaceshark-stealth.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/golka-lr.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Space_Shark.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/ss-vetmarine.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Sharks_Commander_Rev-sm-lo.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Shark_Commander.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Dagoth-work-lorez.jpg

Nah, the Lamenters are my half-joking project. My Ultramarines are my serious ones.

I'll try and have it for Monday, because I have no idea what's going on tomorrow.

I would just like to say I really like your work, are you polynesian? to be honest I've never met another poly while playing 40k.

No, I am not Polynesian. I am glad you like the work Me & Mol have done on this project. I have a huge amount of respect for Polynesian culture which is why I have never said that the Sharks are based on any one specific culture (i.e. Maori). I don't want to offend those cultures or make them feel I am somehow making fun of them. The sharks culture is a combination of bits and pieces from several of the cultures as well as original concepts that give the right feel. Does that make sense?

This is EXACTLY what I've been searching for!

Would anyone mind if I climbed aboard this chapter?

If not, what company(or companies) are free for me to take up?

The 8th?

:P I am glad you like what we have done. The only Companies that are for sure taken are the 1st (everyone has access to their troops), 3rd (my company), & 5th (Stahl's Co.)

7th & 8th are reserve companies. 7th being tacticals/assualt & 8th consisting of Tacticals/Devastators. (this was done so that someone could realistically field an army from those companies). If you need a battle company you could take 6th or 4th. Someone was collecting 4th before, but I have not heard from them in sometime. The 6th company captain is one of Molotov's characters, but the company is not being utilized.

Thanks for the replies guys!

-T.

Although you can easily look at it from another point of view - how many people play the Ultramarines Second Company? The Space Sharks are just an official Chapter we've attempted to detail. Don't let our ideas stop you from making a Sharks army of your own. It would be silly to suggest only five or six people in the whole world play Space Sharks. :P

Good point about the UM's Second Company thing, but... I was thinking if I were to do this up, I'd like to contribute to the greater picture that's being built, even if only a little, with names and such.

So, if I were to claim, say, the 6th... can I rename the characters os something without anyone getting mad?

Well, one of my favourite bits of the Space Shark fluff is the way that they have 'True' names and Adopted ones. The idea that they trust their Battle-Brothers with their single greatest secret is a great way of enforcing their bond.

Something Tiberius was saying, about how Tethys is a blend of various Polynesian and Pacific Island cultures - from the point of the view of a writer, it allows us to take the bits that suit us and ditch the bits that don't. We're not trying to create a perfect replica of these cultures, but to create something original and distinctive that is evocative of them.

And then to make genetically-enhanced Super-Soldiers from them... :D

you mentioned part of your scouts initiation being goin on a voyage to slay a shark, perhaps it could be like some pacific tribes used do, going out to sea on a catamaran canoe thing and spear it (although they used ropes), and maybe they cut their arm or something to attract it as part of the rituallity.

I've always liked the Space Sharks and wouldn't mind painting up a small strike force of em. May I? ^_^

And those sketches are SUPERB!! And weren't they given the Mantis Warrior's homeworld after they defeated them during the Badab war?

And weren't they given the Mantis Warrior's homeworld after they defeated them during the Badab war?

Yes, that's going to be part of the IA article. (The giant hard-to-miss orange bit, at the moment). Tethys was destroyed and when they took the Mantis Warriors' homeworld they re-named it Tethys Secundus.

Archived