IA: Space Sharks

Cpt_Tiberius

you mentioned part of your scouts initiation being goin on a voyage to slay a shark, perhaps it could be like some pacific tribes used do, going out to sea on a catamaran canoe thing and spear it (although they used ropes), and maybe they cut their arm or something to attract it as part of the rituallity.

That's a good way to attract a LOT of sharks, which may not work out well for one recruit. <_<

There was a show on National Geographic (I think it was) some time ago about a man who went to stay with a tribe who hunts sharks. They row out and use halved coconut shells on large rings to attract the sharks by thrashing them under the water's surface. It supposedly mimics the sound of a struggling fish, which a shark is keen to pick up on. Once the sharks come around, they had a rope "noose" tied to a long plank which they used to quickly snare the fish around the neck. The plank would force the shark to stay near the surface and its struggles would eventually wear the fish out to the point where they could capture the shark and bring it back to the tribe.

Don't know if that's the sort of thing Tiberius had in mind, but it's a real example of how some people hunt sharks.

I saw that show too, very interesting. :)

As for the Space Sharks, the scouts do not hunt the sharks, only those who reach Veteran status. It is an initiation rite for those marines inducted into the first company. That is why only the Veterans where shark teeth (think of them as Terminator Honours). The rite itself involves the marine swimming out to sea and hunting a shark using only his combat knife. They do not were there armor for this rite. When they return with their prize the Head Chaplain (who oversees the rite) takes the blood of the shark and marks a stripe of it down the face of the marine. This signifies that he is now one with the Monatoa and that the spirit of the shark he has slain is now apart of him.

Hope that helps!

-T.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i saw that documentary that darrell was talking about aswell.

another thing i just thought of a couple of ideas that might be interesting:

not all sharks are grey, maybe some marines wear bronze-ish armour like bronze whaler sharks.

and perhaps you could paint shark mouths on some of the beaky helmets of your marines.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @ all. I recently got interrested in the Space Sharks, and naturally on my search for material on them I also found this forum article. It is interresting to see how much effort some of you put into further developing their background and their style. Personally I was especially interrested in their paint scheme, since I was thinking about maybe painting up a squad or two of them. (The new box set will make it way too easy to start new marine projects. curse you GW!)

Looking for official material and then at some of the fan interpretations it appears to me that the adopted paint sheme might be based on a misconception. Specifically the red stripe down the helmet. I wanted to point this out, maybe you guys are aware of this and decided to go with it anyway. Or maybe there is some bit of official information I don't know and am making a fool out of myself right now. I must say that the extra bit of red definitely makes the armour more interresting than if it was purely grey. I especially like the "Indes Astartes" style artwork in the lexicanum entry, but I assume it is also fan made.

Here is the thing: Looking for official material on the Space Sharks paint sheme I found three images of them. Two are illustrations in the RT compendium, one with camouflage scheme and one with standard grey armour. And then there is the one single painted miniature that is still being shown in the current chapter listing on the GW website. All of those have the red stripe down the helmet. However, a red stripe down the helmet was not a distinct feature of the Space Sharks back then. A lot of Marines from different chapters had a red stripe on the helmet (in some cases also yellow, white or a different color). Back then that stripe was used as a sign of rank by most of the marines, which is explained in the Rogue Trader rulebook. The basic red stripe denotes a regular trooper, red/black dashed denotes a veteran trooper, red stripe with yellow frame for a sergeant, and so on. So the red stripe on the Space Sharks helmets was merely a regular sign of rank. If you would translate their color scheme to 2nd Edition or later, they would not have that red stripe.

Seeing as it looks interresting and you guys put so mucuh effort in it you probably can keep it and simply use RT style rank signs. However, I think that if you would translate the space sharks paint scheme officially to the later editions they would not have that stripe.

Since this post is more or less "destructive" in nature, I had a few painting idears for space shark armour and weapons: For chainswords, painding them red with white or bleached bone blades would give the impression of "teeth". Well, I don't think sharks actually have red gums, so perhaps a different color for the sword than red. Though red with white blades would more easily be recognisable as teeth, while white blades with grey sword might not. White sword with white blades might look like fish bones though, still fitting a "maritime" theme.

For shoulder pads: paint the inside black, the trims grey. Then paint white spikes/triangles on to the inside, touching the trim and facing inside. The shoulder pad now resembles a sharks open mouth. Perhaps it could be used on a single shoulder pad of a veteran or something like that, just to have some "shark" themed variety. Since the sharks mouth seems to be painted red in the chapter symbol, the shoulder pad could also be painted red with black trims.

I know the background of the Helmet stripes in RT, but decided to keep it for aesthetics sake. It adds the certain bit of "something" that makes the model come alive. As for the chainswords (and chainfists) I do paint them red with bone colored "teeth". As for a veteran marking I paint the right kneepad red and add white teeth along the top and bottom edge. As I use this for a 1st. co. marking it only goes on veteran squads and terminators.

Thanks for the reply as I do love getting feedback. :(

-T.

Oh joy- I’m not going to have to use the power of thredomancy on this one :tu:

Yesterday I was reading the Imperial Armour vol.2 and I’ve found an interesting fragment:

The naming ceremony gives each individual vehicle its unique name...(examples of names).

Some Chapters proudly display this name, others prefer to keep it secret.

Do the Sharks true name belief is also a part of chapters machine cult? Do Space Sharks give their vehicles two names?

Legatus, thank you for your reply. It's awesome that you've liked the work we've put into the Space Sharks thus far. You're right that various helmet-stripes were used extensively throughout the Rogue Trader era. But the Space Sharks are depicted with the red stripe even now. We liked the aesthetics of the stripe, and the idea of the "blood-stripe" as a Veteran marking (later twisted to portray the bloody road from Tethys to Tethys Secundus) really appealed to us.

You seem to say in your post that we either have to keep the RT insignia, or move to a more modern, orthodox style. But I think for the Sharks, it serves well to incorporate aspects of both. Tiberius likes to incorporate a lot of RT aspects - he'll regularly depict MkVI armour, for example. I try to bring things up to date. It sits somewhere between, and gives them a different, original look that we think works well.

So no, your post wasn't "destructive." :whistling:

Keyoz: Thanks for the post - I think that just reinforces my "true name" concept - I think the Sharks' vehicles likely would have naming ceremonies, and those names would remain secret to provide the vehicle with every possible defence against its enemies. :P

hey i have been reading ur codex and i think the space sharks are amazing. can i start a 2nd company? i love what u have done with them.

also dont u thinky it would be cool if the commander or captains had like trident shaped power weapon?

also is the paint scheme grey? or could it be more aqua, like greenish?

hey i have been reading ur codex and i think the space sharks are amazing. can i start a 2nd company? i love what u have done with them.

also dont u thinky it would be cool if the commander or captains had like trident shaped power weapon?

also is the paint scheme grey? or could it be more aqua, like greenish?

Well, it's awesome that you like the stuff we've been working on. Comments like this are great incentives for us to get back to finishing the IA - and we will, eventually. Of course, it's just our interpretation of a venerable Chapter that's existed for a great deal of time.

You don't need to ask us for permission to start a Space Sharks army! It would be silly to assume that there's only ten Sharks players in the entire world. If you like them, play them. In our fluff we list a number of Captains - it represents a snapshot in the history of the Sharks. So whilst we have our own ideas and plans, you shouldn't let that stop you from making your own Sharks.

Tridents would be cool, but Aqua Sharks wouldn't. :D Stay grey!

You don't need to ask us for permission to start a Space Sharks army! It would be silly to assume that there's only ten Sharks players in the entire world. If you like them, play them. In our fluff we list a number of Captains - it represents a snapshot in the history of the Sharks. So whilst we have our own ideas and plans, you shouldn't let that stop you from making your own Sharks.

I agree with you. Having only ten people in the world play Space Sharks is a bit absurd. But nonetheless, I just wanted to know if their is a 2nd Comapany Space Shark player on this forum. It kind of makes it cooler for me if i was the only one on this forum at least. :P

Tridents would be cool, but Aqua Sharks wouldn't. ;) Stay grey!

Come to think about it, your right. Aquaish colors would seem out of place.

Also, I would like to contribute to this forum with ideas and suggestions if you guys are not done with "fluffing" up the Space Sharks origin and what not.

And is each company led by a captain or commander? Aren't commanders the ones who lead chapters and captains lead squads.

And is each company led by a captain or commander? Because after reading some more, i have come to the conclusion that it is captain, but aren't commanders the ones who lead chapters and captains lead squads. Unless this is how this chapter differs from the codes astartes.

The Space Sharks' companies are led by Captains, whilst the Chapter itself is led by a Chapter Master or in your thinking a commander. Then all squads in a company are led by a Sergeant. There are ten squads per company, creating a total of one-thousand Space Marines. This chart may help. :wub:

Table I
Chapter Master [/td] Caracharius
Master of Sanctity Ali'ikai Antiquus
Chief Librarian
1st Company Captain Peloq Pelagus
2nd Company Captain Manatos Drusian
3rd Company Captain Tae Biiroush Tiberius
4th Company Captain Cyriacus, Watcher of the Tide
5th Company Captain Kalasa Clasiarus
6th Company Captain Lanakila Linnaeus
7th Company Captain Isurus
8th Company Captain
9th Company Captain
10th Company Captain

The Space Sharks' companies are led by Captains, whilst the Chapter itself is led by a Chapter Master or in your thinking a commander. Then all squads in a company are led by a Sergeant. There are ten squads per company, creating a total of one-thousand Space Marines. This chart may help.

I don't know what i was thinking. Thanks for clearing that up.

So then what would a second in command be called for the chapter. Someone who is not a chaplain or a librarian.

The Space Sharks' companies are led by Captains, whilst the Chapter itself is led by a Chapter Master or in your thinking a commander. Then all squads in a company are led by a Sergeant. There are ten squads per company, creating a total of one-thousand Space Marines. This chart may help.

I don't know what i was thinking. Thanks for clearing that up.

So then what would a second in command be called for the chapter. Someone who is not a chaplain or a librarian.

The First Company Captain.

Sorry I made a mistake. :P I meant second in command of the company, after the captain.

Leading the Company for that brief period of time, when the Captain is either not present, deceased or some other odd event, would most likely fall into the hands of the Company Chaplain or one of the Company's Senior Sergeants. I would think after this, a new Captain would be elected from one of the Company's Sergeants or perhaps a more fitting candidate from a different Company.

So I started on my Space Sharks army and so far i have an assault squad, a converted model representing Captain Drusian ;) , 2 tactical squads, a dreadnaught, and a chaplain with jump pack. Since the Space Sharks are assault oriented, i thought these units would be fitting. I'm trying to make a 1000 point army list, so pointers would help. Also since the Space Sharks test equipment for the Imperium, would that mean they have lots of terminator armour? :lol:

And I found this website listing some Space Shark info and history:

Click Here

Make sure to post your army list in the respective forum to get some good feedback. I would personally just sit tight for the next two months, when the new Space Marine Codex releases, then go crazy! Also, take some pics of your force (if you have a working camera) and create a thread in the WIP forum. I'm always eager to see some more Sharks. Good luck with your endeavor. :)

So I started on my Space Sharks army and so far i have an assault squad, a converted model representing Captain Drusian :devil: , 2 tactical squads, a dreadnaught, and a chaplain with jump pack. Since the Space Sharks are assault oriented, i thought these units would be fitting. I'm trying to make a 1000 point army list, so pointers would help. Also since the Space Sharks test equipment for the Imperium, would that mean they have lots of terminator armour? ;)

Click Here

Ah, so you're gonna be doing my company, eh? Hmm... let me know how you do with it! And don't you dare let my captain die :P

So I started on my Space Sharks army and so far i have an assault squad, a converted model representing Captain Drusian :devil: , 2 tactical squads, a dreadnaught, and a chaplain with jump pack. Since the Space Sharks are assault oriented, i thought these units would be fitting. I'm trying to make a 1000 point army list, so pointers would help. Also since the Space Sharks test equipment for the Imperium, would that mean they have lots of terminator armour? :blink:

Click Here

Interesting that they don't credit Phillip with the work he did to PS that Space Shark image.

Nice to see you around again, S.J. ;) When are we going to see more of your Sharks? :)

Tiberius and I have idly talked about making a Space Sharks website at some stage. It could be cool.

I've been working on painting/building those and my already substantial Ork army, as well as summer school. And unfortunately I don't have a digital camera of my own, however... my LGS is doing a Paint 'n Play (which is part of the reason I'm doing the Sharks), and I'll be able to take pictures of them then. My first 500 points isn't quite ready but I'll have two full tac squads and a 5 man assault squad ready to tear people a new one.

Honestly, my biggest problem at the moment is deciding what to write on the powerfist of my Assault sergeant. I'm thinking something like 'faces here' or 'suck it' or 'get some', but there are just so many good options...

Hey guys, just wanted to say how impressed I am by all the creativity in this thread.

I have a suggestion regarding the variations of chapter badge (excuse me if it's been covered already, I skimmed through some of the thread). How about doing something similar to the Space Wolves with a variation of the shark symbol for each company, but obviously with some element of tradition or reason behind it. For example : an iron shark, a shark devouring a star, a blood red shark, a flaming shark(?). Just a suggestion.

I love the idea of a Space Sharks website too. Very inspiring so far.

Edit: Also nice to see another Badab force having life breathed into it.

It's always cool to get comments on here! The twin-badge thing is one of the biggest problems I faced when trying to collate the different fluff on the Space Sharks. The badges are very different and I know that some people like one over the other. For example, Tiberius hates the swimming shark and prefers the head-on Shark. But I didn't want to say "this is the only one" and scrap the other - yet the Company-badge-thing seemed a little ungainly to me.

When Tiberius came up with the idea of the Space Sharks leaving Tethys with its people and finding a new homeworld, it fell into place. In our rendition of the background, this badge represents Monatoa, the Shark-Emperor-deity:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/76b.jpg

Until the destruction of Tethys, this was the badge worn by the Sharks to show they were marked out in His sight. But in the two-and-a-half-ish-centuries until they were awarded the homeworld of the Mantis Warriors, the Sharks wore this badge:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/Sharks/Sharks.jpg

The Shark with the star on its back represented them carrying the inhabitants of Tethys to a new system. They carried the last light of Tethys with them. Upon being awarded Tethys Secundus, the Sharks reverted back to the Monatoa-badge, but some Sharks maintained the previous badge because the experience had affected them so greatly.

That's our justification, at least.

Archived