Night Lords 33rd Company - The Mongrels of the Eight

MrBear

So, an update with some photographic evidence of things actually progressing somewhere, an (so far) unnamed Warpsmith working for the 33rd. He's partly blu-tacked for the time being so that he will be easier to paint and there are still some minor things needing to be done with him but the conversion is basically finished:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/warpsmith_zps98483b83.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Time flies, vacation haven't given me as much time for painting as I had hoped since I've had to help relatives with a bunch of different things but the end of last week was  rather good and it's time for an update. Anyone wondering why there is a clip from youtube in the start will have to wait for the explanation further down though...

Rashek was being uncomfortable and he did not like that feeling, it made him feel vulnerable, human. It made him think about his distant childhood and that was not a favourite pastime of his. Neither was standing here in a half-ruined medical centre for that matter, not that Sazed had asked about his opinion, he had just ordered him here to stand guard when Scadrial did his... 'selections'.

It was not the destruction around him that unnerved him, nor the smell of blood and fear that filled his nostrils every time he took a breath, all the wars and slaughters he had been part of would have made even a mortal immune to such things. No, what made him feel lessened was his secret shame, the sobbing of children. It brought him back to Nostromo after the Night Haunter's fragile society had collapsed in his absence and the gangs took control once more. Rashek's family had been poorer than most, his father a former ganger, crippled in the gang wars and reduced to begging in the streets and his mother a prostitute who had long lost what little allure she had once own. It was a life of hardship and starvation and even at the age of three the birth of a brother had made him think more about what it meant for his own stomach than anything else. Four years later, hunger as much as frustration with his brother's crying had led him to strangle his sibling. At first he had felt nothing but a blend of relief and satisfaction but his brother's face and the sounds he had made as he died kept creeping up on him and had even stayed with him after he had been transformed into an Astartes. He would slay and terrorize with the same joy and frenzy as any of his brothers but when he could get away with it he allowed his weakness to take hold of him and killed any child as quick and painless as he could.

With the room around him filled with more than a dozen children in various states of shock and wailing, chained to the walls while they awaited Scadrial's attention Rashek swore a silent curse at Sazed for sending him here, the Thirteenth for attacking Tsagualsa and thus causing Scadrial to end up onboard their ship and finally the Captain for letting the bastard stay. Though to be fair he couldn't blame Sazed for the fact that Scadriel had attached himself to their claw and if someone had to stay with him he was the most logical choice as the others were either unsuitable, or too untrustworthy to be let out of sight. He also guessed it was a bit petty to blame the Primogenitors for such a minor detail when the list of grudges against them was longer than his arm and even though he hated to admit it he couldn't really blame the Captain either, what commander would turn down an extra apotechary? If only it hadn't been Scadrial, he thought, the bastard was almost as bad as the 'Bloody Bones' himself.

Rashek looked towards the apotechary, standing next to an examining table with a young boy strapped to it. He didn't wear his skull helmet, it was his habit when operating to see his 'patients' in their eyes whenever he could and show them a face that sculptors on ancient Terra would have fought among themselves to make a marble bust of. Scadrial seemed almost gentle as he spoke to the boy in a soft and soothing voice:

Hush now little one, crying have never helped anyone, have it? Just calm down and all will be over before you know it.”

The child seemed to react positively to the words and the smiling face and was able to speak back even though it was still sobbing:

I w-want my M-m-mommy. Where is Mommy? Daddy? Gran?”

They are not here I'm afraid,” Scadrial said as he gently stroked the boy's forehead. Then his face went blank for a second and he turned his eyes to the two heads dangling in their hair from his belt, he tilted his head as if listening to a voice only he could hear and he got a cruel smile on his face. Without warning he thrust his narthecium into the boy's stomach, all manners of instruments rummaging through the screaming child's innards as the laughing Scadrial spoke to him in a mocking voice:

This might hurt... just a little.”

What he saw made Rashek snarl behind the mask of his helmet, it was this that made Scadrial so loathed by the Thirty-third, those heads that somehow seemed to influence him. Oh, not the same heads of course, every couple of weeks they had rotten so much that he needed to replace them. No other trophies ever adorned his armour, it was always two new heads, no more no less. The mortals onboard 'The Darkest Hour' feared long travels as it meant that they were the only source for new heads and would do anything they could to avoid the apotechary. Some took the opportunity to get rid of their rivals so losers in the gang wars among the mortal crew could expect to find themselves bound and left as gifts near Scadrial's quarters. Still, there was always the risk that Scadrial would need new heads with no such presents available so to ensure that no bridge crew or other valuable slaves were killed the Captain had ordered that all 'essential crewmembers' were to have their heads shaved and a Legion symbol tattoed to their forehead, forcing all other mortals to keep their hair long for Scadrial's sake.

There had been some quiet discussions among the Claws what those heads meant to Scadrial and whether 'something' needed to be done about him. The answer to the second question was the easiest one, everyone of them agreed that he would look so much better with his throat slit or a score of daggers in his back but sadly they also agreed that doing so would cause the Captain to flay them himself. Rashek though that all they could do was to hope that Scadrial either got himself killed in a battle, with or without som discreet help, or that his corruption escalated enough that Captain Justinian would do what needed to be done. When it came to what the heads were for opinons were rather...divided. It was obvious that he seemed to listen to voices from them but no one really knew what to make of it. Some said that the apothecary was just mad and left it at that, others said that ruinous powers whispered to him while a few maintained that it was a different aspect of their father's curse. Most however didn't care, corruption was corruption after all so why care about the details? All avoided him when they could though, except Third Claw who had to endure him because they had a spare room in their transport since Shallan's demise.

With a sickening sound Scadrial withdrew his narthecium from them boy's stomach. He didn't bother to stitch the wound shut as he consulted the results of his 'examination' for a minute.

Subject 'Decimus Alpha One”, no illnesses. No inherited disorders. Average pain tolerance. Tissue suitability for gene-seed inplantation... 58.4%... A pity,” he said in a dispassionate voice as he leaned forward and slit the throat of the boy. He turned towards a servitor that had been standing waiting in the corner and said:

Remove this for incineration and then bring me subject 'Decimus Alpha Two” for examination”.

Rashek sighed silently as his guard duties would not end for hours yet.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/scadrial6_zpsc7c3f6c8.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Scadrial3_zpsdfe8fe33.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Scadrial4_zps0cf94253.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/scadrial5_zps06cffa30.jpg

So that's Scadrial 'Two Skulls', the much loathed and despised second Apothecary of the Thirty-third. The photos aren't the best but I guess they are good enough anyway. In case you're still wondering about the youtube video the explanation is fairly simple, the two singers are pretty much how I imagine the voices of the two heads that are whispering to him. Is he mad or is it demons trying to corrupt him? Your guess is as good as mine, I don't know and I don't want to know either! :wink:

He looks brutal. Does he have any back story yet? I like how you give all of your marines a story. It's something I aspire to, but have yet to do with my guys.

Cheers mate! He's got the beginning of a back story but it's far from complete. I tend to imagine a rough background for everyone when I model and paint them and then I sort things out when they are finished. I wouldn't do it if I had any type of deadline for this army as it's quite time-consuming but it's quite fun to try to make them a bit individual :smile.:

Having finished Third Claw I've spent the last couple of days converting my Company's First Claw (a.k.a. my Chosen) with the exception of a heavy weapon and an 'ordinary' marine or two more. I have no idea if they are gaming 'legal' or not and frankly doesn't care either as I'm not building this as a gaming army, I'm doing this project for fun more than anything else. Anyway, here are the seven dwarfs; Grumpy, Bashful, Sneezy, Happ... ... ...

*** ERROR
*** WRONG FICTIONAL UNIVERSE

*** REBOOT

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/FirstClaw1_zpsf1c5e9d0.jpg

Here is, left to right: Ulef, Yomen, Milev and Talaxin

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/FirstClaw2_zps40b98061.jpg

And here we have Farsaid, Kwaan and Taan Zhar.

Not all weapons are glued in place yet, they still need trophies and there are some minor details to fix yet but they are basically finished.

C&C is always welcome of course :smile.:

Hi mrBear, i just spent 30 minutes on your thread and your fluff. Good stuff man! I love it. The characterful detail on all the models, the posing, the darkblue, your lighting, everything is awesome. And your fluff is good man, i love your style. Consider me a follower! Love to see more, so please keep it up!

Hi MrBear, i just spent 30 minutes going through this thread and I love it. Seriously good stuff man: the posing, the characterful details on your models, the mix of bits your making all create a very characterful start of what promises to be an amazing army. The warpsmith looks particularly evil, and i love Farsaid. Also your painting skills superbly complement your models. I love your dark blue, the lightning and the limited palette you choose to use. And then, last but most definitely not least: the fluff you wrote. Damn! Consider me a fan. Keep it coming please, Id love to see more.

Looking good Bear. You're off to an awesome start in both the painting and the fluffing!

The chosen are badass so far. Can't wait to see them painted.

I really like the fluff for your apothecary. It's grim dark even for 40k, which I'm guessing is what you were going for. However, I'm not too fond of farsaid. He has a pretty strong "jazz hands" vibe going on, which isn't especially terrifying. Not too sure how to rectify that, and keep those lightning claws though. Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Howdy people! Time for some responses

Nice Job on the Apothecary and the next bunch looks promising.

Thanks man , they won't be painted for a little while yet though. Going for the Warpsmith first as there are still some minor things to do with the Chosen :smile.:

Hi MrBear, i just spent 30 minutes going through this thread and I love it. Seriously good stuff man: the posing, the characterful details on your models, the mix of bits your making all create a very characterful start of what promises to be an amazing army. The warpsmith looks particularly evil, and i love Farsaid. Also your painting skills superbly complement your models. I love your dark blue, the lightning and the limited palette you choose to use. And then, last but most definitely not least: the fluff you wrote. Damn! Consider me a fan. Keep it coming please, Id love to see more.

Thanks Augustus,  it's always nice to hear so much praise from another dedicated Night Lord collector. It won't necessarily be quick as I'm not the speediest of painters (trying to keep a couple of different hobbies doesn't help either) but more things will come for sure. It's pretty relaxing not having a set date when things need to be finished though, it gives plenty of time to try to make the look like individuals (parts and posing) and making up som background for them aswell.  Oh, and I've done the same kind of double posting on different forums a bunch of times so you're not alone doing that :tongue.:  

Looking good Bear. You're off to an awesome start in both the painting and the fluffing!

The chosen are badass so far. Can't wait to see them painted.

Thanks Flint, I won't make any promises on when they will be finished as I'm generally pretty lousy on living up to whatever deadlines I set but they should be finished within a couple of weeks if I'm lucky :wink:

I really like the fluff for your apothecary. It's grim dark even for 40k, which I'm guessing is what you were going for. However, I'm not too fond of farsaid. He has a pretty strong "jazz hands" vibe going on, which isn't especially terrifying. Not too sure how to rectify that, and keep those lightning claws though. Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Cheers Dallo,  yeah that background piece was intentionally rather dark. As the other Night Lords thinks that guy is mentally way over the line I sort of 'went the extra mile' when presenting Scadrial and I will probably keep going to the darker places from time to time when something in the Company's background 'demands' it. Some of the guys are worse than the others as I imagine them but it's hard to see in advance what's going to come up when I sit down and write things down. :smile.:

I didn't know what 'jazz hands' were so I had to google it, I can kind of see what you mean but as the lightning claws are among those weapons glued in place they are pretty hard to do anything about so I'll do what I can in regard to the painting (and trophies) to make him look threatening to you. :wink:  

Just so you know, the Warpsmith has a name now. He's called Condean and painting and background are on their way.

When it comes to painting... I've had a few things to do these last couple of days so not done much I'm afraid but work has begun on the Warpsmith and we'll se what can be done about him in the near future :whistling:

You'd never heard of jazz hands? Guess you don't see too many dance routines in the eye of terror. ;)

If you don't mind some cutting, I'd suggest turning the claws towards the body by 45 to 90 degrees so that the thumbs point forwards., but as always, they're your models, so do what you want to with them.

I was wondering where you get the names from for your dudes. Do they have any special relevence, or are they assigned randomly?

Dallo

You'd never heard of jazz hands? Guess you don't see too many dance routines in the eye of terror. ;)

If you don't mind some cutting, I'd suggest turning the claws towards the body by 45 to 90 degrees so that the thumbs point forwards., but as always, they're your models, so do what you want to with them.

I was wondering where you get the names from for your dudes. Do they have any special relevence, or are they assigned randomly?

Dallo

i personaly have no problem at all with the jazz hands. I think he's like "come at me bro"! ;-)

Also, there's plenty dancing in there eye of terror, but the night lords don't usually reside in there. Forte probably knows about jazz hands. :p ;-)

You'd never heard of jazz hands? Guess you don't see too many dance routines in the eye of terror. :wink:

Dallo

You'd never heard of jazz hands? Guess you don't see too many dance routines in the eye of terror. :wink:

Dallo

i personaly have no problem at all with the jazz hands. I think he's like "come at me bro"! ;-)

Also, there's plenty dancing in there eye of terror, but the night lords don't usually reside in there. Forte probably knows about jazz hands. :tongue.: ;-)

Cheers fellas, I don't know about the EoT but 'jazz hands' haven't reached the northern parts of Sweden yet for sure :biggrin.:

I think the hands will stay the way they are though, I can see your point Dallo and I agree to a small extent but I think there is enough of Augustus' "come at me bro" in him that I originally aimed for to work the way his is. Besides, cutting him up would probably mean that I would have to use green stuff to re-arrange those thumbs and me using that for anything else than filling up very small holes in models usually turn out bad :whistling:

The names so far have no special relevance as such, I just sat down with a bunch of books by an author named Brandon Sanderson and made a list out of names mentioned in his novels. Anything that sounded like it could be used was nicked wether it originally was the name of a person or a place, I've tweaked some of them a bit to make them 'fit' better but I have been assigning the names randomly only making sure not two guys in the same unit got names that are too simillar to eachother. 

I've been doing some minor painting on Condeon (I misspelled his name earlier), nothing more than a basecoat and the beginning of his armour. You might notice that his axe is re-positioned though, I managed to break of his hand by accident and even though the earlier pose was good this one will make him easier to paint. Will probably have time this week to make some more progress.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Candeon_zps0eddc8ff.jpg

Fair enough with the lightning claws. Like I said, it's your model, so it's your call.

Thanks for that. I shall have to check out this Brandon Sanderson. I shall patiently wait for more lightning filled updates.

Dallo

Fair enough with the lightning claws. Like I said, it's your model, so it's your call.

Thanks for that. I shall have to check out this Brandon Sanderson. I shall patiently wait for more lightning filled updates.

Dallo

No worries mate, you raised an interesting concern I hadn't thought about and if I had the skill it's possible that I would re-arrange the thumbs and see how it would look. We'll see how he comes along as he is in (hopefully) a couple of weeks instead. :smile.:

Sanderson is a pretty good author, I would recommend his 'Mistborn'-series as a start. A trilogy with some pretty unique magic and where the starting point is that the 'Dark Lord' won a thousand years ago and now a few people want to try and start the umpteenth revolution against him. Not 'grim dark' in the 40k way but it's not a world seen through rose-tinted glasses either.

For a night lord, that's still a really good pose, I personally don't like that particular model but you've managed to give it that NL feel very well indeed.

Look forward to seeing more from you brother

• 2 weeks later...

So here we are again, the weather have been what most would describe as 'wonderful' but as I am as Scandinavian as they come I find temperatures around 30C close to hellish and therefore paints even slower than usual. We've had more normal temperatures this last week though and it's time for an update, again with a music clip to start things up...

The work space was almost unnaturally bright by the standards of the Eight Legion. On their own none of the arcance machines inside it would have produced much light but taken together they created a weak red glare that would have stung the eyes of most of those aboard the ship if they had either cared or dared to enter. As for Condeon he could not care less if it was the light or his work that kept others from entering his halls, though he was born and raised on Nostramo he had long ago become accustomed to the light and he held as little love for his brothers as they did for him. Probably less since emotions, negative or positive, was something he largely lacked. Therefore he did not hate them either since hatred was as alien to him as love would be to the other Astartes, the strongest 'feeling' that one could say that he felt for his fellow legionnaires was a detatched sort of contempt. They were dregs and gutter trash, the lowest circles of society, chosen for their abilitiy to kill, the random luck that had made them survive harsh conditions or a combination of the both. Not like him, he was special...

He could easily recall his distant childhood, even before he was chosen for the Legion he'd had eidetic memory. His father had been a man of some significance, a technician operating a major smeltery for whatever 'lord' that managed to hold the area where it was. Keeping such a vital source of income running without problem was not easy and as a man capable of that he had been valuable and kept his place and comfortable status no matter who controlled his work place. Condeon had seen this and been impressed, not by his father's mediocre intellect but by the fact that even such simple knowledge meant status and comfort. He had not been old when he came to the conclusion that his own intelligence would be able to take him so much higher than his parents had been able to reach. Though at first it had seemed that his lack of emotions and finesse in social interactions would be a hinder for him he had learned rather quickly what emotional responses that was deemed proper in different situations and memorised them. So to those that met him he looked and behaved like a model child but little did they know it was all but a mask for a young boy that cared only for comfort and status, a boy that had realised that this acting was the safest and easiest route for him to take on his way to what he saw as his deserved place.

His road had become smoother as his intelligence became more apparent to those around him when he grew older, he was given the finest tuiton available in Primus as both his parents and the local 'lord' thought it a good investment to groom his intellect. To Condeon it had been a mixed blessing though as it had awoken new feelings inside him, some such as pride for his achievments and a deeper satisfaction than he ever felt before had been welcome but the frustration he felt over his fellow students and his teachers was a thing he could have been without. Still, it seemed that he was on his way to reach his goal of becoming a person of importance and have the comfort and status he had longed for as long as he could remember.

There was one thing he had not counted on though, the selections for the Legion. In his childhood the Night Haunter had become a distant memory, a story used to scare small children with and the lawlessness of Nostramo meant that the fiercest gangers, the most vicious killers were those chosen as recruits. As such he had never calculated that his rise to the top would be interrupted by such things as gene-seed implantation but his intellect had proved a double-edged sword. His test results had made him interesting for those in charge of the recruitment and when he was found to be a good fit for the transformation into an Astartes all the plans he'd had was shattered...

Despite that he adapted quite well to the new situation, in the beinning at least, as being what was effectively a demi-god in a way gave him more status than he had ever expected even though comfort was severely lacking. But then there was some 'friction' with the other recruits as he ,unlike them, had no overwhelming desire to cause pain in others or fight for dominance over the mere humans, even fear was a rather abstract concept to him as he understood it's underlying chemical mechanics but he could not really grasp why ordinary mortals was so affected by it. These 'weaknesses' combined with his intellect and tendency to look down on his new brothers marked him out for two things, the first of them being training as a prospective Techmarine and the second thing was being assigned to the 'Mongrels' of the Thirty-third, meaning that he was unlikely to ever gain a position of power within the Legion. Condeon made a grimace as he recalled how his illusions had been shattered a second time when he realised that his assignement was among the lowest one he could get within the Eight, oh as a Techmarine he would have a certain status but as a 'Mongrel' he would be the laughing stock of all his bretheren in the other companies.

He had been sent to Mars for training and in some ways he had felt more at home than ever, knowledge, intellect, logic and skill had all been valued there as he had never experienced before. For the first time he had even felt a measure of respect for some of his teachers as they demonstrated intelligence he judged equal to his own. There had been many moments of frustration aswell though, the rules that said that some knowledge was forbidden did not suit him well, that alteration and experiments with technology was deemed heretical almost made him mad from repressed ideas on what he wanted to try. Condeon had also been somewhat baffled by the Mechanicums illogical belief in a 'Machine God' but playing the part of a 'good boy' came easy to him by that point so he endured the rules and became a techmarine in almost record time. One thing set him apart in the eyes of others during his time on Mars though, he avoided all cybernetic implants no matter what they were. With his natural body and intellect already perfected by his gene-seed and training he saw no need to 'pollute' himself with something less pefect than his own flesh , “Let the others demean themselves for their God”was what he had thought. At his return to the Legion this made him stand out from his Techmarine bretheren but they simply shrugged as they came to the conclusion that one could not expect proper behaviour from a 'Mongrel' anyway...

Condeon forced his thoughts away from the past and looked around his halls, filled with various machines, some of which servitors and slaves were working on. He had to admit to himself that he could never quite figure out if he prefered one above the other. Servitors were effective, reliable, predictable and above all mostly silent, they had to be given either continuous or very detailed orders though and there was literally no chance of them making any kind of innovation. Mortal slaves on the other hand was usually filthy, illogical and noicy but if trained correctly they would spot things that needed doing before he had to issue an order, they could come with their own, often pathetic but sometimes useful, ideas and besides there was always ways to keep them from unnecessary talking. Removal of ears and noses as punishment normally worked well enough and if that did not help he had found that the human body had another non vital appendage that could be removed. He could not understand why any slave onboard this ship would value his reproductive organs so much but he felt some satisfaction in the fact that the mere threat of them being torn off would make the most ill-behaved mortal turn meek and silent.

The latest 'spoil of war' was being thoroughly inspected by his most reliable slaves. He was fairly certain his brothers had sent the Land Crawler back to the ship as some kind of joke but even though he generally did not care about Agri-Worlds due to their normally low technological level his mind had already found some possible further veichle improvements from his preliminary inspection. That was something for the future though as he had his present experiment to finish in front of him...

His slaves had done good work this time and he considered giving them some kind of reward as an encouragement for the future, it was after all only logical to give them something that would act like a counterbalance to the threats as it would make them more effective. He had told them to bring him a mortal strong enough to endure the ritual he had planned but who would not be missed by any of his brothers or the more vital parts of the crew. The unfortunate man they had found was bound to a workbench and Condeon had spent hours carving twisted runes in the man's flesh. Luckily he'd not had to endure any irritating sounds as a mask had been placed over his victim's mouth, trying to collect the essence of a man screaming his animus away after having had both his flesh and spirit tormented for hours by the 'blasphemous' sigils that covered almost all of his body.

Condeon could feel the power slowly rising in the engine that was connected to the man's mask, soon he would end the ritual and hopefully trap a minor warp spirit inside it. It would be the first step to greater experiments and machines that would help the Company in the Long War against the Corpse-Emperor. Work like this was what made him hated by his more 'puritan' brothers though and there was no guarantee that the Captain would let him go further in his research. He felt his irritation growing at the thought of their limited intellects and scopes, they were fighting a war and left powerful weapons unused for the notion of 'corruption'. He doubted any of them would leave a bolter lying on the ground or not use a neutralised loyalist tank in an assault. The Warp and the powers within were weapons just as any others, it was true that it could be fatal to those weak of mind but Condeon never listened to the whispers. He did not offer any worship nor did he barter, he used his strength and took what he needed. He had thought that Captain Justinian would see the reason in his arguments but beyond minor experiments like this to humour his 'Warpsmith' it seemed the Captain was not prepared to taint his precious sense of 'purity' further. Condeon was mildly frustrated over this as he opened his victims chest and tore it's heart out. Painting the final symbol of the ritual on the engine with blood from the still beating heart, a thought, seemingly from nowhere, entered his mind; “I've been a 'good boy' before, I can wait. My time will come...”

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Condeon2_zps0cc26e91.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Condeon3_zpsa040d85a.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Condeon4_zps6c1e00c3.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Condeon5_zpsc917f75a.jpg

The pictures are a little blurry but I can always try to take better pictures if anyone feels like I should. C&C is welcome as always of course.

For a night lord, that's still a really good pose, I personally don't like that particular model but you've managed to give it that NL feel very well indeed.

Look forward to seeing more from you brother

Cheers brother, not particulary fond of the original model either but I was reading some old WD's for inspiration and the thought just struck me that it wouldn't take much work to turn him into a Night Lord. First time I worked with a 'fail cast' model though and the name was well deserved as it needed quite some work...

Well, I've parted with the best part of £3, and got myself the first of his books. I'll let you know how I find it. 

Hope you feel it was well spent money Dallo.

Hail MrBear,  this Model looks amazing! as is the rest of your work.:thumbsup: 

Out of curiosity, is the head from the Chaos Raptor/Warp Talons?  

Thanks for the praise mate, much appreciated :smile.:

Your guess is right, the head is from the Warp Talons Champion. I wanted something that would look 'Night Lord'-ish but at the same time a bit corrupted so I took that head and 'adjusted' it a bit with a knife and a file so that it looked less daemonic but still slightly warped. Easy work and quite effectful if I may say so myself :biggrin.:

Things keep progressing a bit, tried to find myself some Havocs this Saturday to give First Claw a heavy weapon but my local store didn't have any. So instead bought some paints and a copy of the most scared of scriptures for those of the Eight.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/Theholygrail_zps7d05ac48.jpg

Sure, I already had the books but having them in an omnibus together with the short stories seemed like a good investment. I almost bought the model I need for the conversion of my Captain aswell but since he'll need a few parts I haven't got yet it would have been a small waste of money to just have him lying around without being able to do anything with him... 

I got the inspiration to work a little more with his fluff though so here is a small sample:

I am no 'Night Child' of the endless prison caverns, nor was I born into the bloodsoaked darkness of cursed Nostramo. No, I first drew breath in Albia of old, now lost to the sands of time with all it's glories... I am the last of her blood.” Justinian Vorbis - Captain of the 33rd Company

I've also done some minor work with First Claw, giving them some trophies and an undercoat. We'll see how much I'll be able to do the next couple of days, me and a couple of mates are going away on a 1600 km road trip Thursday to Sunday so no painting for the latter half of the week. :cool.:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/FirstClaw3_zps1298bd8f.jpg

That is to cool!!! I really disliked the head so i never used it for my Warps! But now I'll definitely be "adjusting" it in the near future :tongue.:

Looking forward to seeing the result brother :smile.:

He sure looks the part, MrBear. Very very nice!

Thanks mate, apart from me being clumsy enough to drop him on the floor a couple of times (with swearing and repairs as a result) he was a joy to paint.

Archived