A few hours and a fat bacon sammich later I have got the basic shape down and the roof.

med_gallery_75911_13630_33552.jpg

Got enough space inside for two of the strobe lights, one lighting the front and one out the fans. The backs of the fans will have coloured plastic (cut up cream soda bottle) glued in to tint the light coming out as well. One of the fans works, the dead one may have a hobo or a dog sleeping inside, or a dead chem head.

Cant get the soda bottle plastic to sit flat, it still tries curling, so I am channelling my inner Ork Mek and instead I am using, the clear plastic from a chocolate bourbon biscuit wrapper.

Also cut the club name out of the front part of the building, clear plastic behind painted with Tamiya clear red paint and in theory it should look like a flashing light when everythings finished. Im not cleaning all the old dirt and grime off the fans before spraying, just gonna use that as rust and drybrush it instead. :P 

I hope to get the basic built done later today, then throw paint on tomorrow (which I guess is the last day). I need a fan/some way to simulate one convincingly (I guess I could just construct one out of cardboard but I'm not all that good at that kind of thing and daylight's burning...), but I think I have a reasonably cool idea that will work for both badzone/ash wastes/GorkaMorka settings.

Basically, it's going to be a sort of jury-rigged windmill/power generator for whatever scum inhabit the area. I just really hope I can get my mojo working when I get home later today.

I'm just about calling this done, just waiting for the "tarpaulin" to dry and maaaybe adding a couple of wires/power cables, so I can give it all a quick, rough'n'ready-style coat of paint. I probably ought to throw on some textured paint too, so the base isn't completely bare.

IMG 0208

IMG 0207

I'd have loved to have added more detailing etc., but getting started as late as I did that was never really going to happen...

Nice! But isn't that a GW bit above the window? If it's only terrain bits that aren't allowed I might go back and add a few skulls etc. :biggrin.:

Oh yeah you can pimp it out with extra bits, just avoid GW terrain. 

I'm just about calling this done, just waiting for the "tarpaulin" to dry and maaaybe adding a couple of wires/power cables, so I can give it all a quick, rough'n'ready-style coat of paint. I probably ought to throw on some textured paint too, so the base isn't completely bare.

I'd have loved to have added more detailing etc., but getting started as late as I did that was never really going to happen...

Yeah started mine late too. Im literally throwing poo brown and silver at it and hoping for the best. :lol:

Still, some of the best scenery I ever maid was hurried with no plan, actually my first ever home made munda building was a stripclub called the Moon, the 'o's having nipples. At least this strip club got painted lol

Aaaand, here we go: 

IMG 0209

IMG 0210

IMG 0211

IMG 0212

You won't believe how annoying my internet's been tonight. I'm usually pretty mellow but it's really been driving me up the wall. I'd actually resigned myself to not making it today, but I'm glad I can prove I made it and at least got a placeholder-paintjob down!

Never managed to get very far with anything for this challenge but it has put scratch-built terrain on my radar, I have been keeping an eye out for suitable scrap, and I am motivated to get something built once I have a bit more time, so that's a minor win in my books. :)

One thing I find works really well is incorporating GW kits (or just leftover bits from them) into scratch-built projects. For one, it makes it somewhat easier to get out of the dreaded "how does any of this fit together and how will I ever make it look good?!?!"-phase, for another it makes the homemade stuff "gel" nicely with any GW pieces you might have in your collection.
Even small things such as adding loose wires or scraps of plasticard/cardboard to all your pieces really makes it blend together and look like part of the same world, even if one pieces is scratchbuilt and one is a GW kit assembled straight out of the box.

I have a friend who's an ace terrain builder (and who actually tried registering on here for this event, but I don't think he ever got the registration email) and we've been making a Mordheim cityscape as well as a ton of Necromunda stuff. The first project involved more scratchbuilding, but something that's been really fun about our Necromunda project is how to utilise GW kits in creative ways, as well as how to incorporate GW and non-GW stuff into pieces that end up looking "real".

A random thought: maybe we should try a collaborative terrain building thread, where we give each other feedback, tips and suggestions and give ourselves loose deadlines?

I'm far from an experienced scratchbuilder, but I think I have some useful thoughts for people who are at the "I'm interested but it's all a bit new and potentially unmanageable right now"-stage. And I always love to work with others, as I find it keeps me from falling victim to the most insidious Chaos fiend of them all: the dread Procrastinatus, Lord of Sloth and Video Games.

Edited by Antarius

Well...

I got the hex floor and roof cut and the walls and nylon mesh glued to the floor hex last night, but I couldn't quite get the full project done. Probably two hours of work left on it.

I learned a lot though: first, I can't make a hollow single layer hex: The required thickness of floor and ceiling tiles eats too much of the space, and there is enough left over for a basic infantry to stand inside the thing, which makes it pointless to create a hollow hex. I lost a fair bit of time to this error, because I originally cut single layer walls.

I also learned that the walls should be narrower than the sides of the hex that you are attaching them to- my hex ended up being a millimeter or so bigger than the floor and ceiling tiles. Next: you should have your buttresses cut and folded before you glue your walls to the floor tile- this way you can use the buttress to keep the wals at the proper angle as the glue dries. Buttresses for both inside and outside increase both stability and aesthetics. And finally, you want a ceiling that allows you to see into the hex... If not, you're dooing a lot of work for not much pay-off.

Just as a reference, here is a pick that includes some of the standard arena hexes:

Cult To Date Mod

Here you can see an arrangement of 5 hexes with two additional hexes stacked on the outside corners to create a higher level. All seven of these hexes are solid stacks of corrugated card board. Being solid pieces, they are virtually indestructible.

For this challenge, I made a double-height hollow hex with a working door and see through ceiling that lets you look down into the room to see what's inside. For some of my arena missions, objectives could be locked in this hollow hex; in others, it will be a beast cage that opens as part of a trap. It was always my intent to make a few specialty pieces like this, but until this challenge, there was no motivation.

Now that I have a specialty hex- or at least I will by the end of the night- I'm also looking to improve the look of my basic pieces. I have plans to drybrush the existing tiles and add some DE glyphs and panels to the walls.

Picks will be up soon. 

Dont forget you have till the end of April 1st in whatever timezone you choose. In the UK thats another 9 hours, States and Canada are behind us, some countries are behind them, so work by their time. ;) 

Ill go through the rest of the posts properly and reply to those when I get time, in the middle of 32878352 things right now so I am just casually glancing here now and again. 

Somebody wanna come round and tidy my flat for me? Too many things to do and not enough time. 

Yeah Ill be a bit more clear on the rules next time lol

No worries. I just didn't read them properly, I think :)

Anyway, I think it' as done as it's going to get for now. Later on I might add a few skulls, do some splotches/scratches and tone down some of the colours slightly. But I'm pretty satisfied with the way it turned out; at least the many brownish colours aren't flat looking (not in real life, anyway) because I added so many different tones and textures.

Walking up to a strange power generator in the badzones and hailing the inhabitants is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get, but it's probably not gonna be good for your health.

power 3

power 4

power 5

power 7

power 11

​First post ever on the forum, only hours after being accepted. A noble member of this esteemed forum encouraged me to participate in the event, and I did what I could with the time at hand. Painting was cancelled as I had to respray, turns out cheap acrylics don’t cover well on dark grey spray :biggrin.:

I’ve tried a hot glue basing technique coined by same esteemed member, and I quite liked it. 
here is how I fared. Please forgive the unfinished state, but I thought you might enjoy it regardless. 

835AEDE1 5A54 4F9A AEC0 191CB316BAA8

2F4D0533 5885 418B 9738 A0EE27955E7B

EDE0F83C E201 4E22 B217 23FF5FFA652B

the dogma was to use an empty tin of canned tomatoes and no finished bits. I found a fence In my oldest terrain box that I cut up to make a ladder. Wires are actual wires. The tarp a napkin soaked in PVA, a lovely gem to cover up where the tins label had some stubborn glue residue :)

Edited by Grom_the_Paunch

Happy friday folks - a few quick shots of my new buildings (I did them as a pair)
Still a bit of weathering to go but I figured they were table ready. I wanted to add some vertical depth to my hive board so I built them pretty tall.
No GW parts - most of the materials are stuff you can find free or a dollar store;

Xmas cookie tins, small cardboard boxes, cladding is cut up card, corrugated metal is coffee cup sleeves, big pipes are a kids toy off amazon, pringles can, etc.

A few odd gangers loitering around for scale, hope you enjoy

--Ak

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Right I had a huge ass post ready to go but my computer had an elderly moment and I no longer have a huge ass post. So heres a short version as I can not be bothered typing it all out again.

@Grom, welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword, hope you like it here, great first post and hope to see many more. I always wondered what to do with tin glue snot, never thought of tarping over it, I spend ages there picking it off or using nail polish remover and a lighter :laugh.:

@everyone else, love the buildings, warms my cold dead heart seeing cool scrap builds, much play over your buildings than the GW ones any day.

As for my effort, I cant do the green filter as my local shop is out of Tamiya clear green, and I lost the door I was going to use, so I have spat my dummy out before I have a Nikocado Avocado level tantrum. So its technically 95% done, just needs a door and some extra detail on the fans/door/window frames pretty much.

med_gallery_75911_13630_950571.jpgmed_gallery_75911_13630_347548.jpgmed_gallery_75911_13630_417410.jpg

Am I happy with my effort? No, I left it too late before I started and the deadline killed motivation. Did I learn anything from this? Yes, dont leave it till last minute next time because deadlines kill motivation. As for learning anything from the hobby angle, yes, whatever I did this time, do it differently if I try again because I hamfisted my way through this with no idea what the hell I was doing.

BUT at the end of the day I only started the Sumpheap Scrap challenge so likeminded 'Mundians can have a giggle and play with literal trash like idiots just like when we were nothing but pimply Juves. So I see this as a success regardless.

Edited by Slave to Darkness

​First post ever on the forum, only hours after being accepted. A noble member of this esteemed forum encouraged me to participate in the event, and I did what I could with the time at hand. Painting was cancelled as I had to respray, turns out cheap acrylics don’t cover well on dark grey spray :biggrin.:

I’ve tried a hot glue basing technique coined by same esteemed member, and I quite liked it. 

here is how I fared. Please forgive the unfinished state, but I thought you might enjoy it regardless. 

the dogma was to use an empty tin of canned tomatoes and no finished bits. I found a fence In my oldest terrain box that I cut up to make a ladder. Wires are actual wires. The tarp a napkin soaked in PVA, a lovely gem to cover up where the tins label had some stubborn glue residue :smile.:

Welcome stranger, whom I don't know at all, you truly seem to be a prince among men.