​First post ever on the forum, only hours after being accepted. A noble member of this esteemed forum encouraged me to participate in the event, and I did what I could with the time at hand. Painting was cancelled as I had to respray, turns out cheap acrylics don’t cover well on dark grey spray :biggrin.:

I’ve tried a hot glue basing technique coined by same esteemed member, and I quite liked it. 

here is how I fared. Please forgive the unfinished state, but I thought you might enjoy it regardless. 

the dogma was to use an empty tin of canned tomatoes and no finished bits. I found a fence In my oldest terrain box that I cut up to make a ladder. Wires are actual wires. The tarp a napkin soaked in PVA, a lovely gem to cover up where the tins label had some stubborn glue residue :smile.:

Welcome stranger, whom I don't know at all, you truly seem to be a prince among men.

Its weird talking to people on B&C I know in real life, turns out I already knew M@l!ce from my local GW. When I figured it out it was a wholesome 'OMG DUDE YOUR MALACE/SLAVE!!! AWESOME!!' *insert Bill and Ted air guitar solo* moment. Looking back its kinda obvious though, whats the chances of finding two Sons of Malice players in the same small ass backwards town? Im clearly retarded, though my aunty did drop me as a child so that would explain a lot. :lol

I actually did finish building the beast cage hex before I went to sleep at 1:00 am on April 1. I left the roof removable so that I could fill it with classic metal warp beasts, which I am using to represent Kymerae pups. There's going to be a cool mission where two wych cults race to defeat five such pups. The first four will be killed, but the last will be incapacitated and kept as a champion beast by the Cult who defeats the most beasts. Once it hits Blooded, I'll replace it with a full grown Khymerae model.

I've left it unpainted for now- you can see the construction details better that way. I will put up some photos tonight- I want to showcase the whole arena, so I had to clear some table space, which is why photos aren't up yet.

As I said in an earlier post though, I learned a lot from doing this, and it has inspired me to actually make the Arena a source of pride. I will be building more towers based on the prototype for this challenge- taller towers with detailed interiors. I have also started thinking about accessories like walkways, stairs and traps that can be added to hexes to make the arena look more interesting. After all, if I finish my Anger and Arrogance Challenge and my 12 months of hobby challenge for April, I'll be dueling in that arena in May, so it's gotta look good by then. 

Cant wait to see what you have done so far. :) 

Also a little heads up, there will bean Ash Wastes themed scrap challenge at some point, not sure when, may run that one longer as well as this was just a trial go, the only other comp I ran was the Spawn Beauty contest a few years ago. Mmmmm sexy spawns. :wub:

Almost finished painting the silo of canned tomatoes. Just missing a highlight on the grey. The highlight m missing on the canned tomatoes is visible on caged tanks in the last picture, it really makes the weathering pop. It’s an almost white line on the lower edge of the border between grey paint and rust effect. 

EED12E41 BA96 4654 91B1 62F5094FD763

7B40B865 712D 4955 B495 8E7E2ADEF7F0

806EB428 F213 4001 99A4 2F442AB29C84

I’ve painted them to sorta go with a few containers I painted years ago, to test a rust painting scheme. 

C163E443 9643 42EC 97D8 AB3CE5540541

Edited by Grom_the_Paunch

Its weird talking to people on B&C I know in real life, turns out I already knew M@l!ce from my local GW. When I figured it out it was a wholesome 'OMG DUDE YOUR MALACE/SLAVE!!! AWESOME!!' *insert Bill and Ted air guitar solo* moment. Looking back its kinda obvious though, whats the chances of finding two Sons of Malice players in the same small ass backwards town? Im clearly retarded, though my aunty did drop me as a child so that would explain a lot

It’s always fun or weird when people from the forums pop up in the real life. I was at a major European tournament a few years back, and many people had team-tshirts with their forum names on it. It was sometimes hilarious to meet spaghetti armed internet tough guys, and gentle giants alike. :D 

The tarps are paper napkins soaked in PVA, a lovely gem to cover up where the tins label had some stubborn glue residue :smile.:

i scattered some chinchilla sand (very very fine) on it while it was wet. I think that gives it a bit more texture compared to the other ones I’ve made without sand. But not required.

I think the sand makes it look more like sackcloth than tarp, but it does look good. Certainly something to keep in mind for Mordheim table pt.II, if that ever happens :smile.:

I guess the idea is that the greenish girders/frame is from a non-ferric material and so doesn't rust? If I wanted to be super pedantic about it, I think maybe it would look more natural if you let the rust continue all the way up to the frames but I see why it might be difficult to do so without messing up the framing. Looks good in any case and the detailing really helps sell it as "real" and not just a can of chopped tomatoes :smile.:

Edited by Antarius

Looking at my own piece a week down the road, trying to evaluate it and do a bit of "lessons learned" for the (dubious) benefit of myself and everyone else:

- The foam sheeting works well as metal plating (I just made some indentations with a hollow plastic tube to make it look like it had been riveted to the structure below) but it's a little bit difficult to stiple/sponge weather without messing up the rest of the "plates".

- The windmill blades worked out better than I'd feared, especially as the only detailing on them is a strip of thin cardboard.

- The dollar store "gems" works well as rivets, but they seem a bit out of scale if the surface they're on isn't big enough. Case in point: the yellow plate on the side of the smaller structure. It looks fine on the windmill tower, though.

- The wires work well, but the vertical ones seem a bit to "weightless", so I'm very tempted to go back and see if I can bend them and glue them in place, so it looks like they follow the pipes and girders. This will probably mess up the paintjob though (also, I'll probably end up gluing my fingers semi-permanently to the terrain piece...), so it's definitely something to be aware of during the building process in the future.

- Tarps are great for covering up less than elegant connection points, as well as introducing a different shape and texture, which really helps the whole thing look more "real" (as real as a toy built from a bunch of crap can, anyway). 

- I've always balked at using corrugated cardboard as metal plating, but it is surprisingly sturdy (especially with a bit of watered down pva), so I'll definitely use more of that as both detailing and construction material from now on.

- Using lots of different browns, ochres, greenish-grey and similar "non-colours" in a semi-random pattern is a nice way of achieving a worn-down look and avoid a "flat" look on larger surfaces  (more so in real life than the pictures might suggest). However, even pretty desaturated primary colours will really stand out and so these surfaces need to be weathered and otherwise "brought in line" with the rest of the piece.

- Sponge weathering is a quick and easy way of bringing things together and making the different shapes stand out, but for some reason it was both harder and less effective than usual on this piece :sad.:

- If I had gotten started earlier, I think I would have chosen a different colour for one of the structures to make it "pop" a bit more. Probably an off-white or very desaturated and weathered yellow or green.

- Something I already knew but somehow keep rediscovering is that stuff like wires, tarps and pieces of scrap iron are just fruppin' great for this kind of thing. They can easily* be added to any piece of terrain, homemade or otherwise, and, if done across your terrain collection, really helps selling the idea of all the terrain existing in the same environment.

I don't know if any of this is interesting to any of you, but hopefully it's at least non-annoying :smile.:

* Or, in the case of wires, semi-easily. Messing around with superglue when bending the wires and pressing them to the glue-soaked surface is probably never going to be a favourite pastime of mine.

Edited by Antarius

Okay, almost two weeks late on the photos, and still not painted... Or necessarily even finished; now that the deadline is passed, I'm free to upgrade it without the need to rush.

This isn't as good as the rest of the work in this thread- this piece, like the entire Wych Cult Arena that it belongs to, was meant to be a cheap, fast and dirty prototype. I learned a lot, and subsequent reproductions of the concept will get smoother.

So here is the unpainted hex, surrounded by other pieces from the arena.

Closed Door

Partial Door

Open Door

Here you can see how the door opens. The light coming through the door is not from a source inside the hex; the ceiling is vented and the overhead light illuminates the inside and makes a natural light pattern on the floor. One of the things I need to do to finish the piece is at a relief frame on the door that traces the pen line cross pattern and the diamond around the window. I could also put a border all the way around the inside of the door frame. Then I's build a relief frame around the door hole in the hex. It's to late to make the corner-binding strips into more interesting shapes. I will be sure to do that in subsequent iterations. I will also change the pull tab on the door- right now, it's an awkward looking paper think that sticks up and messes with the immersion of the piece. Next time around, I'll put a stud of some sort near the top of the door piece and cut a recess to accept it into the outer layer of the wall. 

But we're not yet done with our tour:

Roof Off

The Hidden Threat

Emergence

Here's the hex without the roof. As you can see, there's plenty of room in the interior for enemy models, treasure, objective markers, etc. Detailing up the interior will be fun. I had thought about a spiral staircase leading to a mid-level interior platform in some iterations. This particular hex was imagined as a beast cage- I thought I had five classic warp beasts, but I guess it's just the four. The last pick gives you a bit of an action shot and a sense of scale from the models.

I have more photos of the arena pieces that I built previously- I didn't want to post them here because they weren't pledged as part of the challenge. If you're interested, you'll be able to find them in the PenitentPlog .

Looking really forward to sharing arena missions and batreps soon- if I finish my April challenge for Twelve Months and my Drukhari pledge for Anger and Arrogance, I should be able to do my first batrep in May! Plan to do photo and video.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, almost two weeks late on the photos, and still not painted... Or necessarily even finished; now that the deadline is passed, I'm free to upgrade it without the need to rush.

This isn't as good as the rest of the work in this thread- this piece, like the entire Wych Cult Arena that it belongs to, was meant to be a cheap, fast and dirty prototype. I learned a lot, and subsequent reproductions of the concept will get smoother.

So here is the unpainted hex, surrounded by other pieces from the arena.

Here you can see how the door opens. The light coming through the door is not from a source inside the hex; the ceiling is vented and the overhead light illuminates the inside and makes a natural light pattern on the floor. One of the things I need to do to finish the piece is at a relief frame on the door that traces the pen line cross pattern and the diamond around the window. I could also put a border all the way around the inside of the door frame. Then I's build a relief frame around the door hole in the hex. It's to late to make the corner-binding strips into more interesting shapes. I will be sure to do that in subsequent iterations. I will also change the pull tab on the door- right now, it's an awkward looking paper think that sticks up and messes with the immersion of the piece. Next time around, I'll put a stud of some sort near the top of the door piece and cut a recess to accept it into the outer layer of the wall.

But we're not yet done with our tour:

Here's the hex without the roof. As you can see, there's plenty of room in the interior for enemy models, treasure, objective markers, etc. Detailing up the interior will be fun. I had thought about a spiral staircase leading to a mid-level interior platform in some iterations. This particular hex was imagined as a beast cage- I thought I had five classic warp beasts, but I guess it's just the four. The last pick gives you a bit of an action shot and a sense of scale from the models.

I have more photos of the arena pieces that I built previously- I didn't want to post them here because they weren't pledged as part of the challenge. If you're interested, you'll be able to find them in the PenitentPlog .

Looking really forward to sharing arena missions and batreps soon- if I finish my April challenge for Twelve Months and my Drukhari pledge for Anger and Arrogance, I should be able to do my first batrep in May! Plan to do photo and video.

reminds me of big mountain in new vegas

Now that my April Challenge is done, I am thinking about building another hollow hex- this one stacked to a height of 3 or even four levels. I also want to rebuild the door piece for this hex.

With one more 5 man wych Cult due for May 16th, it really looks like my first arena battle could happen before the end of May. 

My event for the inaugural battle includes a battle for 3 wych weapons- stashing each one in a hollow hex so that players are finding the weapons "blind" would be  entertaining; In order to do it, I need 3  hollow hexes. I have the materials to build two more... And these are easy enough to build. It should be achievable.

Kinda glad this thread is still open even though the Sumpheap Scrap's deadline has passed. It's a cool place to just post home-made terrain.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that my April Challenge is done, I am thinking about building another hollow hex- this one stacked to a height of 3 or even four levels. I also want to rebuild the door piece for this hex.

With one more 5 man wych Cult due for May 16th, it really looks like my first arena battle could happen before the end of May. 

My event for the inaugural battle includes a battle for 3 wych weapons- stashing each one in a hollow hex so that players are finding the weapons "blind" would be  entertaining; In order to do it, I need 3  hollow hexes. I have the materials to build two more... And these are easy enough to build. It should be achievable.

Kinda glad this thread is still open even though the Sumpheap Scrap's deadline has passed. It's a cool place to just post home-made terrain.

Now Ash Wastes is out Im thinking of another challenge. Not just yet though, gonna wait a bit as I have way to much stuff to be doing before I start messing about with my trash and glue again.