Salamander Space Marines

After four years of not modelling or painting a single Salamander Space Marine, I have returned to my first loved chapter.

I decided to make one of the Firedrakes from the first company, as I would like to use some (120?) in the upcoming Apocalypse <grins>.

To help me with visualising my models I try to envisage where they are and what they are doing. It lets me think about scenery and detritus on bases, and what kind of damage to model on my troops. Their posture and demeanour also derive from this background information.

Anyway, without further ado this is the scene I envisage ...

The Third war for Armageddon

The Styx river : Forward refuelling point for Kragnahz Kool Boyz one of many Kults of Speed terrorising the areas.

The KKB have been pulled forward and overextended by a carefully planned Imperial retreat. Strike force Phyruss has been assembled to destroy their fuel depot and deprive Kragnahz Kool Boyz of their essential supplies, and leave them vulnerable to a massive Imperial counter attack.

Three Thunderhawk troop carriers holding some of the hardiest marines from the Salamander Chapter flew on through the night, rapidly approaching the Depot. They all knew if they failed to defeat the heavily guarded fuel depot quickly the possibility of extraction was slim.

Hitting the ground at speed, the Thunderhawks disgorged their deadly cargo. Thirty Terminator armoured Space Marines of the First Company "Firedrakes" advanced rapidly, flanked by squads of devastators from the third company in support.

When the Firedrakes hit the perimiter resistance was lighter than expected and they advanced rapidly ...

That is the background for this piece of work, a Terminator moving as quickly as he can over ash waste / rocky ground towards a large Mega Armoured Nob. Leaping from a rock in his path he cleaves his hammer overhead towards the Ork below.

Anyway here are some pictures of the work so far, please bear in mind mold lines still need removing and there is extensive green stuff to be added in joints and for decoration.

ssm001forward01.jpg

ssm001frontright02.jpg

ssm001rear01.jpg

ssm001rearright01.jpg

Comments and Critique welcome ...

I'm liking the model and your story, you've used FW bits right?

The only concern I have here is that without the ork I don't get the 'imminent infliction of violence' vibe. If the rest of the models in the squad are posed in a similarly dynamic fashion (leaping/about to leap whatever) then I don't imagine this'll be much of a problem though.

(if theres a way to have the shield arm turned back slightly, I think that would help immensely. I know you'd probably want to protect yourself with your shield if you were leaping at a nob, but delivering a massive hammer blow - you are going to twist your body.)

Also, I know theres still green stuff to be done, but have you considered putting treads under his right foot?

Pet peeve!!!: Helmets. I dont care that they are Orks, they still have gunz, and even if you are a terminator it doesnt help being knocked out of a fight by a missile before you so much as touch a green skin.

Well, now thats out of the way: He looks awesome!

He looks a little spright for a Dreadnaught (Ok, a tactical dreadnught then), dont you think??

I hate all you people, you make my Termies look sub-standard.

I really like it dude. Very nice and detailed. Those pipes on the feet look great.

Can't wait to see the ork.

I've always been a fan of the Salamanders. Are you intending on giving him dark skin?

@ Tsuro : I plan to use thin plasticard strip for the treads on the sole of the shoe. The pads are indeed FW salamander pads, I am working on a normal sized power armoured version as well, to retain visual consistency.

@ Terminus Est : The baseline for jumping / running terminators has to be Logan Grimmnar ... he has such dynamic movement ... it struck me that you do not ever see any normal terminators doing anything vaugely athletic. Once I realised that, I had to attempt something athletic with a terminator.

@ Rfly : The head is special to me, its sculpted with dreadlocks, although hard to see in the picture, it should show well when painted.

@ Jacobite : a lot of terminator images show pipes running between joints ... so I wanted to add my own on, to take the detail to the next level.

@ Neph : Oh I might be doing more soon ... I enjoyed this one.

idmon.jpg
[clearfloat][/clearfloat]
Here is a list of some of the work done on Idmon of the Firedrakes.
A : Custom sculpted head with dreadlocks.
B : Gems, a very important export from Nocturne are used on the symbol, and another smaller one is used as a lens on the camea pod.
C : Fire Sculpting on the shield is merely the first stage. Another layer is to be done ontop of the first just lower, and repeated on the "wings" of the shield.
D : New Piping, has been added onto the feet, to replace the plastic piping, which was removed during the feet adjustment. In addition more piping has been added under both arms to give a similar look to many of the illustrations of terminators in White Dwarf.

I have one more layer of green stuff to go ... and then I should be able to undercoat and start painting. I will keep the head and shield seperate to make painting easier.

Wow, hes really coming along brutha. The flame GS on the shield is a nice touch. The general pose looks very cool. He looks like he jumping at you rather than falling at you now. :D I think you have some really solid potential here. And those glass gems are a killer addition. I need to check some of those out. Very smart. I can't wait for you to start painting.

So I'm assuming a darker flesh tone?

I tend to let my Greenstuff set for about 10 minutes ... I hold the figure in my right hand and keep my greenstuff in a lump on my right thumbnail.

My aim is to sculpt another line of flames lower down in the same area to add depth, and more flames in the shield "wings".

I tend to let my Greenstuff set for about 10 minutes ... I hold the figure in my right hand and keep my greenstuff in a lump on my right thumbnail.

My aim is to sculpt another line of flames lower down in the same area to add depth, and more flames in the shield "wings".

Thanks! Should help greatly in the near future! :(

:) Wow. Just...wow. How do you sculpt GS so delicately like those flames? Do you slap on a thin blob on the surface (of the shield/armor/whatever) and cut the shape and trim the excess, or what? Because it looks like many pars of the flames are rounded. I wish to GOD I could get that good with GS.

Archived