Night Lords lord

Chronophague

Okay, I hate the Night Lords tagline. Everything else I like. :D

I had the idea to loosely base this model on an old NightHaunter sketch I did back in the day, with the hair and twin claws, and a generally pretty moody look. I thought about a striding stance, but I just didn't have time to start GSing that kinda conversions, so I had to cut a few corners. :D

I tried to keep the model pretty blue and darkish, since I recall when I did my Night Lords army, that they can easily become too light blue, and the "night" escapes them. I think this guy runs very close to it as well. I first thought I'd leave the reds out completely, but I thought he'd just look like a Ultramarine with a penchant for batwings at that point, so I settled for the red wings on his chest and backpack. I did the reds with cold reds, since warm reds would bounce off too much and make him look more comical and less serious. The idea was also to make the legion insignia on his shoulder to look more like it had been ingraved into his armor, or with some other technique stamped onto his armor, the main idea being that it wouldn't look like a painted on legion symbol.

I apparently tossed away my uncut pics, so I'll be taking some new ones tomorrow(better lighting when the sun shines in through the window, helps with overall lighting), and take some shots of the details.

Comments, questions, critique?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/Chaos/1.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/Chaos/3X.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/Chaos/4X.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/Chaos/x1.jpg

And thank you to everyone who liked my model well enough to vote for it. :D

Cheers

Hey Chrono,

Congrats on the contest win! Awesome model!! I love the pose, it's really atmospheric. I think you've really captured the essence of Night Lords in this model. It's got a dark, broody and sinister thing going on.

The claws look fantastic too, how did you do them?

Well done again!!! :D

Its a really good model, excellently painted and I do like the face, its very Night-Lords. The reason I didn't vote for it was that I don't like the position of the right hand, the way hes got his fingers pointing behind him, makes him look as if hes dancing or swimming or something. I think it would have been better if his right hand was in front of him, in a similar position to his left hand but reflected in the right. Very good none-the-less.

The claws look fantastic too, how did you do them?

I chopped up Abaddons claw, and the Chaos terminator champion Lightning claw. Then I cut off the fingers, thumb etc from a normal space marine glove, thickened the hand a bit with plasticard, and then I glue the claws onto the hand, it ended up looking lots better than standard Lightning claws IMO, because the centre from where the claws originate is more "in-line" with the actual hand. The actual pain was cutting up the metal lightning claws, the rest was pretty easy. I've been modelling with plastic too much lately, I'm getting soft. :lol:

@Wiflewood

The main thing is that you voted, that's what counts. I have no delusions that I can please everyone with my stuff, I'm just happy that lots of people seem to like my stuff. Anyway, the idea was to get a sort of motion into his pose, the idea, with the cloak blowing in the wind and his hair also slightly winded in that same direction, was to get a "turning" feeling into the pose. All would suggest he's turning his face into the wind. That was at least sort of what I was going for. :) Thank you for being precise with what you didn't like. :)

@Obliterator

Yeah, the whole NL wings is a bit hard to make serious lookin', but I had wings on my sketch, and I wanted some on this guy too. :)

@All

Thanks for the kind words. :unsure:

Cheers

Great model Chronophague! :D I can see you put a lot of effort into the paint-job and it shows up. Congrat's on the 1st Place. Just curious are you going to make a force of chaos marines with the prize? Would love to see what you come up with.

I think your mini are totaly lovely Chronophague!

Night lords was my first 40k army soo they'll always have a special place in my heart, and I think your mini found just that place.

I'll have to make a new nl army some day.

Nice one mate, no easy task putting the batwings on there and somehow make it not comical.. big kudos on that. You showed off the sketch he's based on back in the day, didn't you? I hope so, because I have a distinct memory of having seen it :)

Congrats on the win too!

Great job on the entry and the win!

I really enjoyed the conversion work on the L/C. The overall look-dark, gritty, angry is what

caused me to vote for your piece.

I did notice that on the pic of the rear of the model (is that a freehand design or a decal?) it appears

that the "rock" on the base looks like a head, specifically a bird-type head and that there are "eyes"

looking up. It may be just me, but that's what it looks like.

Congrats on the win.

Thanks,

Tom

This board is such a constant source of inspiration it makes it impossible to stay away from the hobby for long ;)

Ive been out of it for abut 18months and have been back on this board for about three weeks and im itching to get my hands on some models!!

Mate, this model is stunning :lol: top effort.

This is such a great model. I've always liked the idea of NL and the colours but every time I see the little bat-wings they have always looked far too comical to me. Now I see that you can have the wings, the colours and the brooding look. The whole model just 'works', congrats.

I think the model is great, but I would agree with those who have a slight issue with teh wings.

I think any Chaos marine with wings like those would quickly suffer a bad case of wing envy. They are kinda small and whithered looking. I can see all of the other Night Lords whispering "You know what they say about the size of a Lord's wings, don't you?" to each other.

But the painting and the rest are very beautiful adn well done.

--Me

I dont think the wings are meant to help him fly, they are simply ornamental bat wings in place of the vents on the backpack.

Night Lords have a fetish with bat wings. I think they look cool, and I certainly dont think he tries to fly with them.

They probably dont even move, they are static ornaments. Basically.

Just curious are you going to make a force of chaos marines with the prize?

Well, I probably will do a 40k Chaos force, but the project is in que at the moment, so it might take a while. :tu:

@Bushido

Heh, yeah, I actually thought a bit of the same, as I've been watching the x-files recently. :)

@Bloodsbane

Yeah, I did. Here he is again.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h289/kronork/NH.jpg

@BrningHalo

I can't quite see the head you're talking about, except perhaps the small rock on the left corner of the base(in the pic).

@Small Dog

Didn't take an prepaint pics, only a primered pic. :(

I think any Chaos marine with wings like those would quickly suffer a bad case of wing envy. They are kinda small and whithered looking. I can see all of the other Night Lords whispering "You know what they say about the size of a Lord's wings, don't you?" to each other.

Well, offcourse if you see your Chaos marines are rumor spreading, petty old women, then perhaps scenarios like this could evolve inside the chapter. :)

@Plaguemaster 1988

Yes, you're right, I wouldn't really think it'd be even sane to attempt to claim that he could fly with those wings. :)

-What's that buzzing, sounds like a huge fly.

-More like a 1ton fly called our Lord...

-Oh?

@All

Thank you for the praise and postive feedback, keeps me inspired. :)

Cheers

Archived