Night Lords lord

Chronophague

Btw how did you paint him?

With paint & brush. :) Could you be a bit more specific?

How did you do the gold if I may ask?

Mithril silver + shining gold mix(covers LOTS better). Then I use multiple washes of;

Chaos black+tankbrown(vallejo model color or air color)

Chaos black+dark angels green

Chaos black+liche purple.

Fiddle around with this washes of the above untill the gold starts looking suitable grimy.

Then a rehighlight with mithril silver+shining gold on the edges and it's done. :)

Cheers

I personally dont like the face its kinda monkeyish but other then that I love the model the claws and the paint.

Btw how did you paint him?

Odd, I thought the broody, scowling expression was just right for a Night Lord and really made the model stand out from a really tough field... to the point where I ended up voting for it.

Great job.

@Nephren-ka

I painted them. I dunno exactly what kind of reply you're looking for?

I guess "how" would be explained below, but the explanation doesn't really help in painting icons IMO.

I basicly "drew" the logos on with chaos black and a good brush(one that can carry paint and has a very sharp point). I then painted the whole Icon black. Then I just painted the pad icon with the same kind of blue mix as the armor, to make it look like it's part of the armor, rather than painted on. The cape was just highlighted with adding some of the capes color into the black(graveyeard earth) for some dark highlights.

Working on plain surfaces, makes the thing you're painting more prone to screwups as you're not following the curvature or other detail of the surface, so you have to have your brush up to the task. I have a very fine pointed brush, but quite long(1.5cm) so it carries paint pretty long, which I think is important. Some small brushes are so short that you paint a dot and it's dry, unless you load the whole brush with paint. Which usually means paint creeps up the collar of the brush and that's the beginning of the end. :rolleyes: Hmm, but you didn't ask about brushes, so I'm cutting this short here.

Basicly, if you can paint an icon in large format, you should be able to paint it in small format. A lot of "work" must be done in gaining good angles when working with miniatures, since brushes have optimal angles at which they apply paint, which really leads to lots of miniature turning, when painting a small area. I know, it's basic stuff, but I sometimes find it funny when I turn and turn a miniature to find a good "biting" angle for the brush. :)

I guess "practice" is how I paint the icons, in the end. I've been doing a lot of fiddly freehand stuff lately, so the icons were actually pretty easy on the nightlord. :)

Cheers

Archived