Left or Right Handed...

Most people have heard it - aparently left handed people are more artistic than right handed people. But is it actually true?

i think I found the answer at the UK GD, when I had a go on the computer sculpting tool. The tool was set up for a left handed person, and when I sat down, he asked me if it was on the right side. I am left handed, and so said it was. He then commented that more people that had had a go that day were left-handed than right.

Proof?

Anyway, after a long intro, the question: Are you left or right handed? And do you consider yourself artistic?

I am both. I can use both left and right hand, but school forced me to use my right more then left. No clue some wierd theroy they had while I was growing up. So I write right handed. I use left or right when shooting guns, bow, and throwing. I usually fire right handed more as more weapons are made for right handed people.

As tot he creative. No clue on creative. I know my pop is lefted handed and most of the left handed people I know work construction or Law Enforcement. While most of the people I know bringing in the huge bucks are right handed.

Still my Dad works with his hands in the most amazing ways. When he is making a deck, or doing work on a stair well it looks good. He makes it look good. He can not do art work thou, nether could my grandfather who was left handed. They can't get perspective right in drawing and painting pictures. But this might just be something that they have personally.

My mother is right handed and does lots of art projects and drawings and it's awesome. Same with my sister. Right handed and majored in Art for 2 years in college before becoming a computer programer. She has amazing paintings and drawings and a great eye on Art.

Her husband is a photographer for 3 newspapers and has alot of his pictures go national. He also takes pictures as art. He is right handed thou. So who really knows.

What I do believe is some people are artistic and some are not. Just the way it is. Some people spell really well, and some (like me) do not. We are a sum of all our abilities and the use of those abilities. So I figure the handedness of a person means nothing really. Maybe in some study left handed people did something that the people making the study claims is more artistic. Of course I have seen alot of awesome artwork from right handed people.

So I have to say left or right means nothing. Look at the art and then decide without looking at which hand they write with.

The theory is (and I believe it's still generally accepted) that the left side of your brain (which is stronger in right handed people) is where the brain does math, language, and science, while the right side of your brain is where it does art and creativity type stuff. So right handed people end up being stronger at the "hard" subjects, while left handed people do better at "soft" subjects. And since society overall thinks math is more important that art, it would make sense that your school would want you to work right handed, thus putting more emphasis on development of that side of your brain.

Frankly, I'm right handed and I'm very creative. Physical talent needs some improvement, but I'm no worse at it than I am at math. Course I can read programming code, so that's probably where my math skills went. :(

im left and im not the best at painting but i would say im getting better

the reason mainly that im not good is because i started playing when i was 7 or 8(if i remember correctly and im 18 now) but never painted my models at first my brother did them because my dad didnt trust me with the paint and glue :( then i just never could be bothered

strangly enough though it was around the time i started looking through this site and the waaagh that i got into painting as some of the stuff i saw inspired me to try painting

and also i have scruffy hand writting i got told off at college for it because i write realy small and scruffy so only i can read it but if its only notes that only i will read then it doesnt matter if only i can read it

i got told by my english teacher that if you are left handed there is a higher chance of you getting arthritus and you will have scruffy writing

the reason she gave was to do with the way kids are told to write at a young age

if you have a right handed teacher there is a higher chance of a left handed person they teach growing up to have bad writing

and same if your right handed and have a left handed teacher and because the majority of people are right handed there is a higher chance you will have a right handed teacher

and for those of you who wonder she was left handed

she told me that the reason people say right is best is because the majority are right so the majority say its the best

its the same thing at work(i work at a ski slope)

when someone goes snowboarding the majority of people go left foot forward and the minority go right foot forward or duck(both feet pointing out)

so the majority say left is best but of course me being weird :P i have to go with the minority and be right foot(i did try going duck once but its realy painful)

if you wonder why i say the majority is right thats because most people at work are right, there is only about 3 other left handed people doing my course(about 20-30 people on the course) and in my family everyone is right except me and my uncle

The lateralization of brain theory is a generalization as people use their whole brain all the time as the hemispheres are in contact with each other. The main thing that reinforces the left/right myth is social conditioning, meaning that people who believe the left/right thing believe it so much that they start to drift towards "jobs" in the field and focusing on these. With learning you get some sort of "mastery", or at least above average skills in the given field.

The left/right mapping is shown to be only a minor factor once you start to think about hemispherectomy (people who had half their brain disabled). The younger the patient is at the time when this happens the better the chance that most of the missing hemisphere's job can be done by the other side (younger = better neuroplasticity).

I use both my left and right hands for everything, including modelling and painting as well as throwing, playing tennis, writing, drawing and pretty much everything else. It all depends on which hand it feels more comfortable on the day. I have no problem switching hands if I need to and I believe I am quite artistic, as do my friends and family.

G'day, well i use my left hand to write, draw, paint all that. But i use my right hand basically everything else, so shooting hitting with a hammer all that sort of thing. As for beeing creative well i think i am average altho other people say otherwise, i will post a pic of my mephiston once i finish him and you can decide if you want.

I'm right-handed. I'm no Claude Monet, but feel I'm pretty artistic (though artistic is more than drawing or painting... it's music and writing and dance and cooking and whatnot, too).

With that said, my dad was a lefty, as are all 3 of my siblings, my wife, and my daughter. All of them are really quite gifted art-wise, either with music, drawing, or cooking.

You could say I'm an imposed ambidexterous, I'm relearning how to use my right hand again. I now eat lefty(my right doesn't get up that far) write righty, switch back and forth for painting, I'm just all over the board!! Although when I was a righty, I majored in Art, Drafting, Metal/wood working in highschool and REALLY sucked at math!

Right-handed.

And I can argue that I'm creative.

I paint. (no, really?) Though I'm no golden daemon material.

I can sow...

I play a musical instrument. (granted, its mostly my left hand doing to work there)

I'm pretty good at woodworking.

And my writing looks pretty sweet too. (if I want to that is!)

My drawings[/url are.. well... ok I guess... (includes a sample of my writing, though its much better on lined paper)

So yeah...

I'm right handed and quite heavily so, yet i am about as creative as it gets in my family bar my little brother who is also right handed. My sister and dad are both left handed and aren't the best artists (by a long shot lol). That being said, my dad has learned to be ambidextrous over the years.

And even though i am a righty there are still a few things that feel better the other way round. I learned to fire a bow left handed and aparently i use a computer keyboard in a predominantly left handed style.

As far as the science goes, the left side of the brain has been poven to be the logical half whilst the right hand side is creative. Each half of the brain controls the other side of the body (you move your right hand using the logical left hemisphere of the brain and visa versa) but make of it what you will. It's the whole 'nature vs nurture' debate and even though i'm doing a biology degree, there isn't enough power armour involved to get into it here. It'd be a whole lot more fun if there was though

Scientist A, advocate of nature, 1500pts alpa legion

Scientist B, follower of nurture, 1500pts ultramarines

gamma level take and hold, the victor writes all future text books.

Commence!

Al

As far as the science goes, the left side of the brain has been poven to be the logical half whilst the right hand side is creative. Each half of the brain controls the other side of the body (you move your right hand using the logical left hemisphere of the brain and visa versa) but make of it what you will. It's the whole 'nature vs nurture' debate and even though i'm doing a biology degree, there isn't enough power armour involved to get into it here. It'd be a whole lot more fun if there was though

Scientist A, advocate of nature, 1500pts alpa legion

Scientist B, follower of nurture, 1500pts ultramarines

gamma level take and hold, the victor writes all future text books.

Commence!

Al

In which case it would depend on the army lists used...

I'm left handed for writing, but when using a computer mouse for example I use my right hand (I've adapted to using a right handed mouse, so I guess the tool, which I did not get chance to try at GD would be ok in my right hand). I saw this tool in action, and had a most fascinating discussion with one of the designers (not sure which particular designer I'm afraid, I forgot to ask their name for future reference) about how it has affected the model design process (definitely for the better I believe, very much the better, as it means better models ;))

The lateralization of brain theory is a generalization as people use their whole brain all the time as the hemispheres are in contact with each other. The main thing that reinforces the left/right myth is social conditioning, meaning that people who believe the left/right thing believe it so much that they start to drift towards "jobs" in the field and focusing on these. With learning you get some sort of "mastery", or at least above average skills in the given field.

The left/right mapping is shown to be only a minor factor once you start to think about hemispherectomy (people who had half their brain disabled). The younger the patient is at the time when this happens the better the chance that most of the missing hemisphere's job can be done by the other side (younger = better neuroplasticity).

.....what do you do mario? you seem to have a lot of knowledge on all sorts of stuff :P

im right handed by the way, very dominantly so, i have a hard time using a spoon or fork or cutting meat with my left...which made playing basketball tricky, although i wasnt BAD with my left

my hands go like my feet, one hand has more finesse, the other more power...my left foot and hand more power, but my right hand/foot more finesse...most likely because i use them as such

i also shoot right(hockey...guns...bows..golf) and bat right

^_^

Starks

I am right handed and the guys in my group seem to think that I am one of the better painters we have. I have also won quite a few best painted awards at tournaments and there were left handed people there. So I don't know how much stock you can place in that comment. Then again I am not a scientist so I don't know the facts.

Archived