Left or Right Handed...

I think my biology teacher told me a lie...

By the sounds of things its completely random, and if your a lefty or a righty seems to have no effect.

They didn't lie to you, it's just that the idea is that it's a pre-disposition. A Right handed person is more likely to be good at math than a left handed person, and a lefty is more likely to be good at artistic pursuits. Some people will be equally capable, or equally horrid, at both. And some will excell at the one they're not supposed to.

The few hundred odd people on B&C should hardly shape your idea of it though. For one, it's a few hundred people out of 6.some billion on the planet, hardly enough to make a rule about, and secondly, Warhammer, by it's very nature, is most likely to attract people who are good at both, regardless of disposition, since you need artistic skill for modeling & painting, and math skills for figuring out odds & the like in the game.

Eeeew, it means it's still disgusting! :P

I'm a lefty. My first two years of school they tried to 'retrain' me as right handed - it failed miserably - I was more stubborn than they were. I'm told my handwriting is very neat - probably due to the way I hold a pen, my hand not coming into contact with the page I'm writing on (usually a problem for lefties, as you smudge the freshly written text.).

Creative? I'm a modelmaker and photographer, my painting is amateurish (I know some 12 year olds who CAN do better), unless I put effort into it - and I usually can't be bothered going beyond table-top standard.

Math? Stats and probability are ancient sumerian to me, like calculus, or much of trig.

I'm a leftie, didn't discover that I was dyslexic until college, have grown through "most" of that, would consider myself fairly creative, though I'm also what seems to be a very linear, process type thinker. I would agree with those who have previously stated that you shouldn't paint yourself into a corner as far as abilities go just because of what hand you use. I also agree that the brain blends the abilities of both sides depending on the task at hand.

At work I am an IT project manager in spite of the fact that I am an intuitive thinker ("how do you know B is the answer? Couldn't tell you, but B is correct"), I'm usually brought in to implement or improve broken processes because I see patterns where others don't and can address process constipation. I'm also a "forest" kind of person vs. "there's six bugs on my tree" kind of person.

I'm very thankful that I am not in the population of those who are numbers and detail oriented and spend most of their time in Finance and/or Accounting, although I have plenty of friends who are.

Bottom line: Work with what you've got to be what you want to be

Since early childhood I've been ambidexterous and I found that art flowed easier with the left hand. So today i am predominately left-handed but will occasioanlly switch up. Left is for detail, right is for large areas.

• 8 months later...
I'm a lefty for writing and drawing, but use a mouse in my right hand. I am an illustrator, sculptor and musician, pretty good at maths (used to teach it up to GCSE level) so you could say I am creative, with a bit of an academic flare! Everyone in my immediate family (mother, father, siblings) are left handed and we are all quite creative or musical.

Right handed here.

I do consider myself artistic in that I paint a lot (to TT standard), write lyrics + compose my own material and play the Piano, guitar and bass guitar.

I'm not the best at math, but I'm not the worst either. ;)

Archived