Angels Sanguine Titanhammer

The only thing im not sure about is the hammer itself. Im not feeling the red on the hammer. It could be the fact that its there at all or that it stops suddenly - more of a blend into the metal might make it pop.

Yeah, that’s the part that still needs work. Maybe if it faded to absolute black that would help. More on that soon.

My only question - you gonna keep the big fist logo on the shield? I think that would be an easy removal...

It could be removed but I figured the fist was a common enough symbol to apply to any marine chapter. I’ve seen people remove it and replace it with purity seals or some other bit. I was just going to leave it.

What do you (or anyone else) think? Does the fist fit well enough or does it really need to be removed?

-OMG

Tamiya white primer is my undercoat of choice. I do find that some paints bead up on it which is a little irritating at times. It gives me a solid coat in about 2 light applications w/o any “fuzzy” primer issues.

The base red is just garden variety GW Blood Red. The white undercoat gives it the pop that seems to be difficult to achieve when you build up from black. I can usually get away with 2 light coats & I’m done (shading & highlighting aside) so actually it paints up rather quickly.

More soon. Cheers, -OMG

Here you go...maybe try reading the thread before you post next time... :wink:

Thanks again all and thanks for the assist there Ahab.

@Fat_Lad: To answer your question #2, I think you’ll be unimpressed with the simplistic approach. I’m really not a big fan of my own skin tones as I think there are a lot of others who haunt these halls that are way better that regard. After fighting some uphill battles to get a result that I sorta like I came up with a “no frills” method that at least gives me consistent results:

White undercoat.

Watered down Dwarf Flesh basecoat

Paint the shadowed areas with watered down Snake Bite Leather

Elf Flesh highlights

Dark brown ink in the lowlight areas; try Vallejo Smoky ink

The only technique is based the amount of paint used at ever stage. When applying the flesh colors I get to a thin coat that lets the white undercoat show through. I then apply more paint to areas were I need more color. That gives some graduation between the various tones present in each selection.

But like I said, there are certainly others who get a much more natural effect.

-OMG

Hm, hi first, I really like where you are going OMG, but I think because the whole model has lot of reds in it (armour, skintine, hammer grip etc..) I suggest a cold blue tone for the thunderhammer, blending from white to black and then back to metal, the same style you did the red, but with a more extreme blending. I always paint my THs this way and I go that far to say it looks really cool :)

You could also paint the hammerprints in that blue colour, or just paint the edges with differnet shades of blue and then paint little lightnings still rippling over the surface of the vehicle plate.

Just my 2 cents, appreciate or ignore it^^ or both :(

I like the fist, I missed that post earlier, but the fist is subdued and not tha much of an eye grabber so it doesnt really efect that model in any negative way...infact I think it fits tremendously due to the fact that this IS a Titanhammer squad and the fist fits them nicely. So MIO leave the fist alone, the eagle stands out more than it does anyway.

Very nice work man. I love the bases and the poses. I definitely agree about keeping the fist on the shield. It just screams titan hammer to me... Odd how a fist does that.

With the hammer though, it might look better if you faded the very edge to orange as well as blending the red into the metal more. I think it would make the hammer itself look like it's hot. I have no idea if that's what you're going for, but my two cents.

Keep it up

Kolli

Whereas I have magnetized termis in the past I’m not doing so with this squad. I may regret that one day but oh well. If I want different options I guess I’ll just have to model up more of them.

Still waiting on my bits order for the first marine but I started on the sergeant for that squad. Here’s his base and the model for context.

gallery_15218_910_314546.jpg

gallery_15218_910_185807.jpg

We’ll see if I can get the rest of the squad done in less time that it took to do the test model.

Somehow I doubt it (damn day job).

-OMG

The red/silver on the hammer itself stands out to me as needing work, I have been very impressed watching the way you work and seeing the final product of different models you've painted, but something about that hammer just doesn't work. It could be that the lines for where the red starts is too blaring obvious with the paint there being too obviously different. When I think of a power weapon I think of something with brilliant lighting coming off it with less stark differences in the color....for lack of a better example think of a light sabre. If you want to have some of the metal show through try blending the red in with it a little more as you come to the junction of where the metal meets the red so that the red comes out a little more gradually and not so blaringly abrupt.

As for my opinion on the fist: I think it would look odd if you took it off. As someone else mentioned it really helps emphasize the strength that is hinted at in the name "titanhammer". I personally think of something bold and strong and a fist comes to mind as being a symbol of that strength.

Oh, I totally agree that the hammer needs work. I spared you the many test hammers that I didn’t want photographed. Needless to say, they REALLY didn’t work.

Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the “light saber” power weapon. I’ve seen it done well but even at it’s best it doesn’t suite my tastes for a 40k context.

I tried the, “trickle of lightning” effect but it’s beyond my skills at this stage. If I could pull it off, I’d take this direction but sorry to say that my attempts just weren’t successful. It definitely looked more like electrical paint than electricity.

So I settled on the “glowing hot metal” look but I still can’t say that I pulled it off well. After playing around with this direction I actually like the hot metal concept in the case. I have some changes in mind to improve it. We’ll see if I can’t achieve a more realistic effect all things considered.

Thanks for the C&C. -OMG

Hi,

Very impressed. They 'test' model is better than I could ever hope to do!

(I hate but secretly envy you :D )

I was wondering if you have a tutorial/tips on banner/banner design etc.

OMG you are doing some really kick butt work, keep it up!

First off about the shield, I think that the fist works and I would leave it. It's good that you painted it a neutral colour and not yellow... then it would have to go :)

I think that the hammer looks great! I never thought of something like that. It works well with your BA sanguines, but I think for normal BA it wouldn't work as it would be just to much red. The fact that it looks like it is hot off the forge makes it look awesome. Time to put that hammer to good use and smash up and reshape titan armour!

When all is said and done I hope these guys kick some serious butt. There have been a few times when I have completed a unit, it looks great, but doesn't perform as well as I might of hoped. I hope that isn't the case here!

Take it easy man, looking forward to more updates!

Corb

PS My new Chaplin is about half way completed!

I was wondering if you have a tutorial/tips on banner/banner design etc.

I don’t actually but you’re the second person who’s asked that question. It’d difficult for me to conceive of a “design tutorial” as it’s really very subjective. If you read back, it’s been observed that the image may be too busy and actually detract from the overall quality of the model. So taste is a factor and especially the intention for the model/army in question.

I’ll think about that more and see what I come up with.

When all is said and done I hope these guys kick some serious butt. There have been a few times when I have completed a unit, it looks great, but doesn't perform as well as I might of hoped. I hope that isn't the case here!

Thanks Corbs and always glad to hear from you. From a game performance I believe Titanhammers are just misapplied. I think they are better suited to kill things other than Titans. They are certainly the bane of big bugs to say the least but maybe equally so vs. tank lines. Yes, chainfists are better vs. vehicles but the “auto crew shaken” result per hit on top of other damage is not without it’s own merit. And beyond that… it’s really all about the extra Vortex grenade.

I now have less than 30 days to finish the squad. We’ll see how battle ready they are come the next Apoc game. I’ll be sure to take pics during the battle & provide a report.

Keep us updated on your chaplain.

Cheers, -OMG

Archived