Simple Green...is made of people!

Simple Green does not eat Green Stuff, though it may break the bond to the plastic/metal.

Personally, I use furniture stripper on my metals, but I don't like scrubbing stuff.

I have found, based on stripping models from ebay, that Simple Green will not strip some paint (although I have no idea why). It also seems to deal poorly with varnished models. Basically, your results seem to vary widely based on the paint or varnish used - still incredibly good stuff, though.

By the Emperor, i could use this stuff! My ultramarines deserve a good scrubbing. Just one last question, does it matter wether its mint or lemon?:) Also, found something called Crystal simpel green. Which of the 3 would be best used?

Courage and Honour,

Magnus Aurelius

Magnus, I'd go with either the original "mint" green, or the lemon stuff. Not sure the crystal stuff is one of their products, as it isn't shown on their website.

I've not seen thelemon stuff in stores, so I'm not sure if it's 100% the same product as the original.

I have zero experience with the "lemon." The stuff I used was the "mint" (though it doesn't smell like mint much, to me), the original green color. Works wonders, and comes in a huge thing for like five bucks that it'll take you quite some time to use all of.

I have no idea about crystal simple green, never seen that.

• 3 weeks later...
By coating do you mean mold release? If so warm water and dish soap will do. If you mean stripping paint off of resin, I haven’t done it my self. i have head some problems with resin and simple green however.

no i mean the release agent . im having probs with just using warm soapy water havent had much probs in the past just with these larger parts there more of it ive soaked them in soapy water for about 4hrs and still isnt coming of just wondered if there was another cemical i could use

Ok i cant get simple green here in the good old uk so what is really the best thing to use to remove the coating on resin from forge world please i gonna die if i dont clean this thunderhawk

Yes you can. Look at the link above, you can order it. :)

I've been soaking parts of a land-raider I'm redoing in this stuff for about five days, and all the paint stripped off great. Except for the black primer (games workshop) normally this wouldn't be an issue, because I'd just reprime it, but it has several "runs" from my spraying skills when I did it. could you tell me how you got the spray primer off your rhino? (I'm using a soft bristle brush, which could be the problem.)

No problem Crazy Eight. Easy to read past stuff when a thread is several pages. <_<

Donute:

Toothbrush. Qualified as "hard" versus a "soft" or "medium" toothbrush. And a lotta elbow grease.

Although admittedly I am having issues getting white primer off, seems to take a lot more work than the black primer stuff does. :)

ok i was in the same boat as crazy eight cos i coulnd't find it in the uk

(thanks for the link)

so how much do you guys use when doing this will 1 litre be enough for quite a lot of models??? or do i have to fork out the extra £30 for far too much???

thanks

First off, forgive me if this thread is not in the best organized manner. I tried. My forum style needs work, but my dragon style is strong.

Second, this is my own personal experience with Simple Green, and my own personal research. Results may vary, but they're fairly indicative if you ask me. If you go dipping something that I haven't covered here (or even that I have covered) into Simple Green or any other paint stripper and screw it up, don't blame me. You're responsible for your own actions, we're all adults (or close to it) here!

Thirdly, this is not a sales pitch, I have zero interest in Simple Green's sales (I wish I did though!). But being a relative newcomer to tabletop, I see a lot of threads every day asking how you can strip models safely, of all types. So I'm throwing my own models into the pungent green stuff to find the answers for all of you.

Short Version: SIMPLE GREEN is your FRIEND.

I tested it out on three different materials, and here are the results. I will list the material, overall length of time stripping took, and final results.

Longer Version:

Plastic: Works nearly flawlessly. Stripping time is a bit slow, took a rhino that had one thick layer of Primer Black Spray and several layers of Scab Red and Boltgun a few days soaking in the stuff. Then hit it with the toothbrush. Easy as cake. Model tested was your everyday Space Marine Rhino.

Pros: Comes off cleanly. ZERO damage to plastic.

Cons: Comes off slowly. May have issues getting some paint out of the deeper recesses. May require several resoaks and brush applications.

Overall: Excellent, so long as you're patient. And patience is a virtue when it comes to stripping expensive plastic models!

Metal: Works flawlessly. Paint was ready to strip within a few hours, only leaving paint in a few deep recesses. When left in simple green for an extended time period, some models (unknown what variable it was here, because some did it and some didn't) once stripped seem to lose some of their luster, as if the metal itself was slightly corroded. Didn't effect final painting of models at all, or the actual look of the model past the shininess but just wanted to note it. Models tested were several metal Kasrkin models, both painted in a combination of silver and scab red, and some just basecoated Chaos Black.

Pros: Strips QUICKLY, CLEANLY!

Cons: May require one or two resoaks to get stuff in crevices, but this is typical of stripping paint. Extended soaking period (several days worth) seems to reduce luster of some minis.

Overall: Even better performing than the plastic, this only took a few hours for me to get a good clean strip, using just a simple hard bristle toothbrush from Wal-Mart.

FORGEWORLD Resin: You know it. You love it. You took out a second mortgage on your house to afford it. That's right, it's Forgeworld resin. For the benefit of everyone here (and my own curiousity) I exposed my prized Inquisition rhino doors to Simple Green for several days in a row and monitored them accordingly (yes, the doors that cost basically as much as a rhino by itself does). Just for the record, this was the LIGHT, off-white colored resin, not the dark resin. I make absolutely no claims to the safety of dark resin, since I didn't test it yet (but I will soon). Worked nicely, much like plastic actually. These were also painted with a heavy basecoat of Chaos black, and several layers of boltgun and scab red.

Pros: Came off clean. Stripping time was more like that of plastic (measured in days) than that of metal (measured in hours). Zero damage to forgeworld material, even after being soaked for almost five days straight.

Cons: A long soak (again, measured in days, not hours). Patience is key here. May require several resoaks and reapplications of the good ol hard bristle toothbrush.

Overall: Bingo. Forgeworld costs way too much to be risking to engine cleaners, bleach concoctions, or any sort of solvent (especially since most of those melt plastics!). Simple Green is where it's at for clean, SAFE cleansing of your (light colored) Forgeworld resin pieces.

In Conclusion:

Try it. It's worth far more than the five bucks it costs. If you're scared, use some craptastic models like I did at first. For my metal, I threw in a single Kasrkin with hellgun (MSRP like 4 bucks). For plastic, I threw in the captain guy from Macragge (MSRP like nothing, he's worthless except for conversions!). For resin...well that's a bit more tricky. NOTHING from Forgeworld is cheap. Just have to take your chances, but these are my results after nearly a week of nonstop, 24/7 soaking in Simple Green.

Hope you guys enjoyed my (disjointed) report, and can glean some knowledge and security from it. Soak to your hearts content.

Disclaimer/Warning: Results may vary, I make no guarantees, you are responsible for your own actions. Do not use Simple Green in a non-ventilated condition, it has fairly potent vapors. Tthough it is labelled as "non-toxic" you should never consume anything that is not intended for consumption (which Simple Green is NOT!!!). Keep out of reach of children and pets, just like you would any other substance of this nature!

You just saved me having to buy a new Rhino, Thanks for the "SIMPLE"Green solution

wiplash: You can buy a smaller size of it. Don't dilute it. You can REUSE this stuff time and time again. Every once in a while you might have to put it through a strainer, but don't dump it out after you use it, just keep it in some sort of plastic container (I put mine in tupperware!). You really don't need much...I still have half my single bottle left and I have two tupperware containers full of it that have stripped the paint off two kasrkin squads, several rhinos, forgeworld resin pieces, like three tactical squads now, several devastators, and random minis here and there. Enjoy.

Donute: Lemme know how it goes! :)

Support By Fire: Glad to hear it. Rather spend five bucks on some cleaner and a little elbow grease then drop 25-30 on another rhino. :)

wiplash: You can buy a smaller size of it. Don't dilute it. You can REUSE this stuff time and time again. Every once in a while you might have to put it through a strainer, but don't dump it out after you use it, just keep it in some sort of plastic container (I put mine in tupperware!). You really don't need much...I still have half my single bottle left and I have two tupperware containers full of it that have stripped the paint off two kasrkin squads, several rhinos, forgeworld resin pieces, like three tactical squads now, several devastators, and random minis here and there. Enjoy.

you can reuse it, YAY i will be getting some in the not very distant at all future

thanks for your words of wisdom, i need to strip:

20 tau troops

1 tau hammerhead

40 kroot

20 marines

a few IG + sentinal

Maccrage scenery

1 leman russ

and some FW resin stuff!!!

i need it!

The only thing I don't recommend, is stripping 4k worth of figs at once.

I stripped my Space Marines about 2 years ago, I'm up to 8k, and I'm still painting originals!

Cheers,

Lawrence.

The only thing I don't recommend, is stripping 4k worth of figs at once.

I stripped my Space Marines about 2 years ago, I'm up to 8k, and I'm still painting originals!

Cheers,

Lawrence.

Hahahaha nice :lol:

Archived